Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by BikeDutchess View Post
    I just did a 2.5 mile ride with my daughter to get some after-dinner ice cream. The weather is so nice, perfect temp for a quick evening neighborhood ride.
    ......but now i want gelato and brownies and it's too late....smiling photos of women in helmets helps though sounds like two good rides!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

A pristine New England day, with no work, but plenty to do. I woke up feeling kinda off, so I decided to bag the 2 group rides I could go to. My friend, Jack, tried to guilt me into doing one of them, with the crazy old guys (i.e. my age or older), but I just didn't want to to do 50 hilly miles today. So, I set out to do a short loop. Right when I was coming to the intersection to turn back home, I was thinking about doing a few more miles when a woman on a tri bike passed me, as I was slowing for the 4 way stop at a busy intersection. I was to the right of the cars, in the shoulder, and there were 2-4 cars in the lane. She went right between me and the cars, where there was not a lot of space. It scared the sh!t out of me and then I got mad. This is not a place where you need to take the lane, but still. If she had stayed behind me and waited for me to stop and cross the intersection, it might have been 20 seconds? So, I went straight through the intersection, at a much faster speed and headed to get an iced coffee. It was nice to sit in the sun and chill, and then I headed home. As I was getting ready to shower, I started feeling really awful, still not sure what it is. Stomach is definitely off, kind of tired,weird muscle aches. Tried everything to calm myself and eventually headed out to do a bunch of stuff and then home to do paperwork.
    I am glad I got out there, but praying this resolves when I wake up tomorrow. We leave for France exactly a week from now, and I have a ride to lead tomorrow night, as well as Saturday, although that doesn't look so good from a weather standpoint. It's my club's bike rally, so at least we'll have the happy hour and dinner if the rides get cancelled.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

We led a 17 mile ride at 6 PM tonight. I had a good time as the sweep, but poor DH had a real azzhole behind him, who kept passing him on the right and making left turns from the right... he said something many times and the guy just got pissed. AMC rides require that we keep people together, as in no one goes ahead of the leader or behind the sweep, and if they do, you are off of the ride. It's different than most bike clubs, but we like it. There was another woman leader in training who was at the back with me. She's a super hiker, but slowed near the end of the ride, and had some issues climbing, but a really nice person. Anyway, it was hotter than hell today, but by 6 PM, it was 82, breezy, and cloudy, and very nice. We were done by 7:15 and I feel good.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I started the bike adventure in Ireland on Tuesday. We got the bikes and all of the information for the routes and set off from Ennis to the seaside town of Kilkee. The route took us on a lot of quiet back roads for the most part- and we only had one bit of confusion over a turn off. We have been mostly using kilometers- but the first day was about 36 miles. It us almost four hours, between picture stops , route checks and the chain on my husband's bike coming off and getting stuck for a while.

Weds we rode south of Kilkee in a 23 mile loop that ended with spectacular scenery, on cliffs above the ocean. It was our second day in a row with clear, sunny weather and the colors were brilliant. We then rode 23 miles north to finish in Miltown Malbay.

Thursday we did a loop back inland to see a "tower castle" by the town of Corofin. It was supposed to be an easy day but ended up being 40 miles and 2000 feet of climbing in the end.

This morning we're going north to Doolin, via the cliffs of Moher. It is so easy having our stuff transported to each destination. We get to the towns, have dinner and have found trad music sessions on 3 of the first 4 nights.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Now that sounds like a fabulous trip! Hope you'll post some pictures.

We had a great bike rally today. Thought it might rain, but instead we had 75-85 degrees and sun. DH led our group quite fast, but it was OK; as the sweep, I would say this is the most together group we've had. I hung at the back with a few people and all was well, until one guy, who had been near the front got slower and slower, until it was only me and him. Finally I asked if he was OK, and he said "no." Gee, you've been slowing and acting weird for 20 minutes and you'll barely admit it now?? We stopped, I gave him Nuun and a Shot Block, and then I had to tell him to actually drink the water with the Nuun, so it would work. He decided to stop at a park and wait for the slightly slower group, doing the same ride. I took off, thinking I'd be alone for the rest of the ride, but the group was waiting for me. Then, all of a sudden, we saw the guy, just as we were taking off. So, he didn't rest and didn't wait for the slower group. He didn't catch up, though. When we drove home to shower, before the dinner, he was standing in the middle of the road with his bike, just before the end. We didn't stop and he did make it back (they had to sign in). Despite the stopping and slowing, my average was faster than it usually is for a sweep. 29 miles.
    Showered, went back to Verrill Farm, where we had drinks and dinner under the tent, with live music for happy hour. Very nice. Went out for ice cream with our friends afterwards, and now I am going to rest!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Sounds like fun Crankin! Hopefully the guy will learn to listen to his body, that is a lesson we all must learn at some point.

Azfiddle - sounds like a fantastic trip! Pictures would be lovely

Scary just curious, do they have to sign a waiver to do these rides. that could have ended quite badly. Hope he is okay. We have a group that I do the announcing of the ride calendar for but we aren't an organized group. I may need to check with an attorney about our legal obligation should someone end up in distress or get hurt when we are on a ride. We are very group minded, like you. I can see why you left him as he said he'd wait for another group but in hindsight, sounds like he was beyond his ability to think clearly. Of course our group has no claims of being a racing style ride but we do knock out some miles upon occasion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    We had a great bike rally today. Thought it might rain, but instead we had 75-85 degrees and sun. DH led our group quite fast, but it was OK; as the sweep, I would say this is the most together group we've had. I hung at the back with a few people and all was well, until one guy, who had been near the front got slower and slower, until it was only me and him. Finally I asked if he was OK, and he said "no." Gee, you've been slowing and acting weird for 20 minutes and you'll barely admit it now?? We stopped, I gave him Nuun and a Shot Block, and then I had to tell him to actually drink the water with the Nuun, so it would work. He decided to stop at a park and wait for the slightly slower group, doing the same ride. I took off, thinking I'd be alone for the rest of the ride, but the group was waiting for me. Then, all of a sudden, we saw the guy, just as we were taking off. So, he didn't rest and didn't wait for the slower group. He didn't catch up, though. When we drove home to shower, before the dinner, he was standing in the middle of the road with his bike, just before the end. We didn't stop and he did make it back (they had to sign in). Despite the stopping and slowing, my average was faster than it usually is for a sweep. 29 miles.
    Showered, went back to Verrill Farm, where we had drinks and dinner under the tent, with live music for happy hour. Very nice. Went out for ice cream with our friends afterwards, and now I am going to rest!
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I was proud of myself yesterday. Did a very hard crossfit class in the am and then a good climbing ride at the end of the day. Was debating on the ride but did fine and felt like I'd earned my gin and tonic
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Sky King, we do have them sign a waiver. Unlike most bike clubs, we are part of an outdoors club, and our liability rules are the same for us as for the hikers. We are clear in the beginning safety talk that if you go ahead of the leader, or behind the sweep, you are off of the ride. I knew he was bonking, but he did seem better after the stop/brief rest. If he had had an issue after he told me to go ahead, I would not have been liable. I would have been perfectly happy to stay with him on the way back, as it was only about 8-10 miles. Of course, he should have stayed at the park and waited for the second group, but I cannot control the behavior of adults. He was on a mountain bike with slick tires, had appropriate cycling clothes, clipless pedals. He did not look inexperienced, and judging from his riding in the beginning, he was strong. Perhaps he mostly rides in the city; the hills and warmer weather may have played a role. Our pace was pretty brisk (I averaged 14.5, even with all of the stopping and staying behind the slow climbers) and DH's average was around 15.5.
    It was much easier handling this, though, than unsafe riding behavior. This is the first year we didn't have that. Well, just one guy, and his wife kept him in line!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yes, we can't control the behavior of adults We were discussing this on our ride yesterday and agreed That is someone tells you they will wait for the next group and you can go ahead you certainly can't control their actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Sky King, we do have them sign a waiver. Unlike most bike clubs, we are part of an outdoors club, and our liability rules are the same for us as for the hikers. We are clear in the beginning safety talk that if you go ahead of the leader, or behind the sweep, you are off of the ride. I knew he was bonking, but he did seem better after the stop/brief rest. If he had had an issue after he told me to go ahead, I would not have been liable. I would have been perfectly happy to stay with him on the way back, as it was only about 8-10 miles. Of course, he should have stayed at the park and waited for the second group, but I cannot control the behavior of adults. He was on a mountain bike with slick tires, had appropriate cycling clothes, clipless pedals. He did not look inexperienced, and judging from his riding in the beginning, he was strong. Perhaps he mostly rides in the city; the hills and warmer weather may have played a role. Our pace was pretty brisk (I averaged 14.5, even with all of the stopping and staying behind the slow climbers) and DH's average was around 15.5.
    It was much easier handling this, though, than unsafe riding behavior. This is the first year we didn't have that. Well, just one guy, and his wife kept him in line!
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Yesterday we tested the full route for a new ride we are leading in July. It's very local, but with some new roads. The end has a lot more climbing than I think we need for an after work ride, so I told DH that he will need to slow for the last 5 miles. The ride itself is only 16 miles, but yesterday we did it from the house, so it was 29. Stopped for lunch at Ferns and we both were feeling the dead leg feeling.
    Total rest today.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I enjoyed reading all the ride reports.
    Crankin it is very informative reading about rides you lead with the groups of riders. I live in a rural area with only a handful of riders who ride solo.
    I could never keep up with the groups you ride with so it is good I crank alone. I am envious of your cycling strength and others gals on this forum.
    I rode (Bran) a 7 day Nebraska ride this past week. Country was hilly but beautiful from lots of moisture. Two days were hot with high humidity. I had to stop in a cool place 20-30 minutes to cool down and feel human again. Carrying my baggage to camp was my biggest challenge on this trip. Some roads had nice surfaces but some had horizontal cracks which made me and my bike flinch. The last short but hilly day my bike wasn't changing gears right so I was glad to have that day behind me. My bike is going in for a tune-up this week. It might just need a new chain.
    Tailwinds to everyone.

Cosc, there are groups that ride all speeds. Speed doesn't matter, the fact you are riding is what matters! I don't do so much group riding anymore, unless I am leading...
    Your ride sounds very challenging.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

World's Largest Egg, Winlock, WA in the background! We are getting ready for STP in 3 weeks. We rode from home through beautiful, low traffic farm country. Lots of hills and valleys. We are so lucky to have such great riding right out our door! We rode 91 miles. SSClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20150619_112824.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	17665
    Last edited by smittykitty; 06-20-2015 at 06:50 PM.
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3