Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

We got back from Ireland on Friday night (13 hours of flight time!!) - finished the self-guided tour with about 330 miles. We took two days off - one to just enjoy Galway city and opted to hike one day when it rained.

Everything went smoothly- every B & B was nice in its own way, the cue sheets were very detailed and we lucked out on the weather.

Yesterday I put my saddle and pedals back on my bike at home and ventured out into the desert heat. I rode 25 miles to Saguaro NP and back, but wasn't very enthusiastic in the heat - I think I averaged less than 12 mph!!!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Forecast for the weekend 100 to 108 degrees and we depart at 7 am tomorrow for our dirt road ride from Boise to Ketchum/Sun Valley. 155 miles in 3 days, self supported. A bit nervous about the heat.
    I just keep telling myself it isn't a race, it isn't my first rodeo and the road, while dirt and gravel, it a good road. I am not even taking my sleeping bag, just my silk liner and a small fleece blanket. Promise to take some photos - perhaps some sunrises as I expect to be on the bike as early as practical everyday.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Ride safe and happy, Sky King. Water water water etc.

Todays ride was an out and back from Sealy to Bellville along the infamous Coshatte Rd- 14 elevation changes in 4 miles, mostly just rollers or slightly challenging short slopes but three rel hills with requisite gear changes. One real (to quote a friend) "oh God " hill because that's what you keep saying as you pedal up it. Started at 7:30 am at 83 degrees and finished at 10:30 with the temp at 92- high humidity throughout. Nice to see the whole group together again for the first time in several months and as usual the bakery in Bellville had a lot of good stuff.

And in spite of the miserable rain and thunder and lightning on an almost dily basis, I actually got in 6 rides this month which doubles the my average but is still purely pathetic. Of course with the heat and humidity it is hard to tell when you are all wet from rain or sweat. Most days it's a little like riding through a warm mucous bath.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I took my first ride since coming home from France. I went out at 5:15 AM or so, and I was actually passed by another woman rider, as soon as I got out of my neighborhood. Very strange at that time of the morning, since I usually don't see anyone going in my direction for awhile. Today, I saw at least 6 riders before I got to Concord Center, as well as lots of others after. I started out strong, but got tired quickly, as I woke up with my stomach upset from what I ate last night. It was humid as hell, too. Rode 13 miles, with the intention of then riding to work at 9, but I quickly nixed that idea. It's going to rain hard tomorrow, with thunder, so the ride I was really looking forward to, along the NH seacoast, was pushed to Thursday, when, of course, I have to work.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I feel like the last day of the month is a good day for me to post about June adventures on the bike, as other than a big mountain ride yesterday, day-to-day hasn't had much to write home about (or to the forum about...) but the cumulative effect has been worth something.

Mostly through commuting and errand-running, I've put about 300 miles on my bikes in June. I have some big rides coming up, both in terms of length and degree of challenge, and I meant to do more in June, but... Getting ready for a big new career challenge, busy with existing work, a fun little bout of food poisoning, etc. The usual excuses.

But often during June on my little rides--especially on my commute home--I've been picking sections to to go all-out on, sometimes more just as a way to burn off stress at the end of the day than any purposeful training plan (and there were still plenty of times I crawled home as pitifully slowly as I could). But my commute essentially turned into a bit of an unorganized interval training session. And I've been feeling good. Really good!

I decided that feeling good wasn't just wishful thinking when I set a new personal best of 5:07 on one of the hills on my commute home--having biked it over 100 times, I was pretty thrilled. And then a few days later, biked the same hill in 4:45!

And then yesterday I biked up Mt Baker (the ride went from 1000' to 5000' with about 4500' total elevation gain because of some rolling hills)--since I hadn't been doing longer rides, or sustained climbs for a while, I wasn't sure how it would go, but I had so much fun! I felt great the whole way up, and like I could have kept riding for much longer.

So, long story short, June's rides individually weren't that interesting that I wanted to write about them. But I feel like despite my disappointment with myself about not getting more riding in, that the sum total of the month was actually a noticeable improvement in my fitness, aka my fun capacity!

And it's a good thing too, since I have the STP double century on July 11th, and the big RAMROD ride on July 29th, and a few other similar challenges planned for next month... Whee...
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com

Decided I better check in and let you know we survived - there were certainly moments... Day 1 did not start off as planned, one of the last minute riders was an hour late for departure. The bike hermit and I waited for him and sent everyone else off. With 54 miles to cover that put us on the worst section of the ride at the hottest time of day - one guy said his garmin said is was 115 degrees. Guess what, some nail polish melts at that temperature - It was quite strange to take off my socks and shoes and see smeared nail polish everywhere. We lost 2 riders after that day. Thankfully day 2 & 3 had way more shade and lots of opportunities for jumping into rivers and creeks. Also being able to start between 6:30 and 7 am helped. Day 2 was 59 miles but after an early climb was relatively flat - rode through what I swear is the heart of ATV country - talk about dusty, they are like angry ants. Day 3 was really pretty. We had a major 5 mile climb but no traffic and some nice trees spaced just right for shade breaks. The last 20 miles is all downhill. Dropping off the mountain was like walking into a furnace. Big biking events in Ketchum so a bit overwhelming with bikes, music and crowds - we managed to find a bar with a patio and hide out until the Pedal Idaho Van picked us up. - Something we will do again, so nice to not have to juggle transportation.
    I did manage to put to much pressure on the palm of my right hand and now have numb little finger and ring finger. I know if was the heat and fatigue on day one. Also managed to get a saddle sore - that's a first, again I attribute to the heat and fatigue.

I didn't take any photos so am at the mercy of the rest of the group but will post a few when I have more.
    Looking forward to staying home and out of the heat - we've been over 100 for over 8 days now, whine
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Sky King, the only time I've ever had a saddle sore has been on multi day trips in high temps. This time, I took the Preparation H with me to France, and after the first ride, I felt something starting, I applied after showering, before bed, and before riding. It worked! I used it every day and it's the first time I didn't have a saddle sore from heat.
    I commuted today for the first time since my trip. I had a client at 8, so I could leave early, before traffic, and of course, no school buses. I am done at 3, so an easy ride home.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks Crankin, I did put some on the minute we got home, I do think it helped
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com