Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ouch!! Sorry to hear that happened to you, and glad it wasn't worse. Heal up quickly! And yes, take a stool softener with those pain meds, they are notorious for causing constipation. Not something you need on top of everything else.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

thanks everyone, for your support. Cindy! I had no idea you'd taken a fall recently. I hope you are all healed up yourself. Yes, beloved Sparky is all I'm allowed to ride until the ribs heal. My Dr actually said I could TRY to continue training for STP on Sparky, but I decided it was just too much pressure. He said to let my pain be my guide, but there is also the element of anxiety about being on the road when the reckless drivers are absolutely everywhere. I am opiate free this morning, and was considering taking the trike out for a spin (after buying a new helmet), but the thought of all the traffic I will have to engage with just on that mile jaunt over to the Interurban is giving me a fluttery stomach.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Take it easy and do what is comfortable to you. Is there a park with low volume roads large enough that you could take your bike? Country roads in an area where they are accustomed to cyclists?

Oh, I'm sure there are, but lifting a 40 pound trike up into the van with broken ribs is probably not on the menu...

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

Yep, that wouldn't work. Just looking for ideas when you are ready to ease back into riding. I had hoped you might have a hitch-mounted rack, some of those are easy to use (others, not so much).

Also the word "trike didn't register. I hope you are feeling at least somewhat better!

definitely feeling better. Not taking any opiates, but there is still significant pain. I FEEL like I could comfortably ride a two wheel bike, but my Dr has forbidden it because of the risk of falling and worsening the fractures in my ribs.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Your doctor's advice restriction is warranted. You want to heal properly.

That was a horrible accident Laurel!
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I agree, take your time and heal!

Quote Originally Posted by lauraelmore1033 View Post
    definitely feeling better. Not taking any opiates, but there is still significant pain. I FEEL like I could comfortably ride a two wheel bike, but my Dr has forbidden it because of the risk of falling and worsening the fractures in my ribs.
    You definitely don't want to rush things.

Once the pain subsides, you might be able to ride a stationary bike or a 2-wheeled bike on an indoor trainer as a way to start moving again without the risk of falling. But clear it with the doctor first.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Sorry so to hear of your accident Laura. I hope you heal quickly and are back on your bike soon.

So sorry you're hurting, Laura! For that other problem, avocados are high in fiber and sorta slippy, too. We eat a lot as they're great for diabetics, and can affirm that they really, er, do the job.

I usually eat a lot of avocados myself--when I can readily go to the store, and am not relying on a stash of pre made microwaveable crap. Did not know that they are great for diabetics. Is that because they are low GI? Well, anyway, I've been off the opiates for a couple of days now. I'm finding they are only good for taking pain levels down a couple notches when it is at higher levels. When the pain was at an 8-9, it maybe took it down to a 3 or 4. My ambient pain level is around 3-4, so the Vicodin doesn't seem to do much.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

I'm glad your pain is not as bad as before. After ankle surgery (many years ago) I found that the Vicodin made me sick to my stomach so that I couldn't even look at food. I stopped taking them as soon as possible.

I had not realized that avocados help with, what's the word, motility? I don't eat them that often, though. I do like prunes which are tasty little snacks that you know you will never over-indulge in, so they're good for something sweet when you're trying to watch your weight.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Just read this. How scary! So glad it wasn't worse. Take care of yourself, and let yourself heal.

Gentle virtual ((hugs)).
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Just read this. How scary! So glad it wasn't worse. Take care of yourself, and let yourself heal.

Gentle virtual ((hugs)).
    I know! I should totally be dead!

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba