Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Well, My Summer's Over

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was hit by a huge truck while riding on the Centennial trail on Wednesday. Broken ribs, unbelievable amount of pain and swelling over most of the left side of my body, and I am one unhappy camper. I just cancelled my STP registration and have my finger hovering over the cancel button for a tour in Idaho in August.

I was hit while riding through an area of the trail that runs through kind of an industrial area. The truck was in the driveway for one of the businesses. I stopped, made eye contact with the driver and assumed he was waiting for me to cross. By the time I was half way across the cross walk, he'd decided to pull out. I was screaming, "Hey! hey! hey! as his grill continued to loom closer and closer on my left side, and I remember thinking, I don't friggin believe it! as the grill made contact with my torso. Jump cut in consciousness, and I am writhing and bellowing in the street with the wind knocked out of me. I remember sirens and somebody running up with a chair, because I had started to get up, because I didn't want to lie back on the busy road like I was belatedly directed to do. The EMTs insisted that I needed to go to the hospital, where it was determined that if I was seriously injured, I would be in more pain. An officer came in and took my statement and tried to insinuate the accident was my fault because he didn't think I had the right of way. (pretty sure I did) He also said that I had caused an awful lot of damage to the truck, but my bike (the Bacchetta Bellandare) didn't appear to be damaged at all! (The back wheel had been run over and wasn't really rolling any more when we picked it up) .
    I've had two days to reflect on it, and I am getting angrier and angrier by the minute. It could have been so much worse, though. If I'd been riding my tadpole trike, which is way lower than the bellandare, he would have rolled over me and crushed my body. If I'd been riding the tricross, I would have been higher off the ground and being violently flung to the ground would have done more damage to me.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Ouch!
    I'm very sorry this happened to you! Give yourself a little time to gather your wits before making decisions about August.

Sending wishes for peace and healing.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Laura, I am glad you're alive, girl. I am wishing you well.

And get a lawyer with bike case expertise! John Duggan is a well known local name. MM_QFC also knows a good lawyer. PM if you need her email.
    Last edited by salsabike; 05-29-2015 at 05:16 PM.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

So sorry that this happened and so glad you survived! Sending prayers and wishes for healing.

Oh wow. So glad you weren't more seriously hurt.

I agree about talking to a lawyer.

I hope you feel better soon.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Thanks for all the kind words. I was only planning to get a lawyer if the insurance co gave me trouble. Do I really need a lawyer?

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

Oh man lauraelmore, that's awful. You should be angry - furious! Hope you heal up quickly.

You need a lawyer. You think the insurance company and the trucking company don't have dozens of them?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Laura, it's the right-of-way exchange with the police that made me think you should consult a lawyer.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

You need a lawyer. My DH has one for his case against the woman who turned left in front of him last year.
    Insurance companies do all sorts of things that are not nice. Get a copy of the police report and see if there were any witnesses.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Holy cow, glad you're still here to tell the tale!!

I'll second Crankin, get a lawyer now. Pretty much no one is on your side in these things so getting someone to represent you and your needs is very important.

Electra Townie 7D

First off, I'm glad that the accident wasn't more serious! Take some time to let your body heal, and like all the others have mentioned... get yourself a lawyer. You are going to need someone to look out for you, no one else is going to... especially the insurance companies. AND definitely get a copy of the police report.

Take care, and heal quickly.

How scary! So glad you weren't hurt worse! What a stupid mistake on the driver's part. And the officer, well totally ridiculous! So sorry for your pain and ruined summer. There are some really busy areas on that trail! But this still should not have happened and totally not your fault! Take the summer to rest in the backyard lounge chair and get back at it as soon as you are ready. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

I agree, get a lawyer. It already sounds like they are trying to put the blame on you and I can guarantee insurance companies aren't any better.

Heal fast!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Well, my insurance company (State Farm) says THEY consider me a pedestrian, and totally in the right. We have no fault personal injury coverage of $10,000 which should cover everything, but they will be pursuing coverage from the truck driver's insurance. I don't think the driver was a professional truck driver, just some young (dumb @$$) with a taste in trucks too large for his particular driving skill set.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Good for that. It's a relief not to have to deal with being 'at fault' in such a situation.

But more importantly, how do you feel? Are you healing?
    There is still a lot of pain. The ribs are going to take at least 2 months to heal. The inflammation in my hips and tailbone is subsiding to more tolerable levels, but my arm and shoulder are still horribly bruised and swollen. I have moments where I feel very lucky to be alive, and then the pain meds wear off and I find myself not feeling so lucky.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba