Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Camelbak care question

I have a new Camelbak Aurora and just used it for the first time ever. It took me a long time to decide to do a Camelbak because they just seem like ideal germ green houses. What tips do Camelbak (or other hydration systems) users have about keeping it clean?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5 WSD

2011 Trek FX7.2--What can I say? It was on sale!

I haven't used mine in ages. When I first bought it, I also bought two bottle brushes that were made for it. The larger one was for cleaning out the bladder and the smaller one was for the tube. They also sold a plastic thing that goes inside the bladder and holds it open to help it dry out completely.

I always cleaned it with dish soap and water.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

+1 on the drink tube cleaning brush. Well worth the price, just make sure you get the right size (the one for hoses that attach to bladders, not for the larger diameter, shorter length straws that go inside the bottles).

I don't find the big brush very useful. Doesn't get into the corners. If you can buy the tube brush separately, that's what I'd do, but they may sell them only as a set. Best way I know to clean the inside of the reservoir is to shake a few tablespoons full of baking soda into it, then put a damp (not wet) dish rag inside, close the stopper and shake vigorously. The baking soda will coat the damp rag and act as a mild abrasive to scrub the inside of the reservoir. A little baking soda on the drink tube brush helps, too. Then just rinse and hang it on a clothesline with something inside it to separate the sides (wooden spoon, spatula, chopstick are possibilities depending on the size and shape) so it can dry completely.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

We use Camelbacks all the time. To keep it clean, I have a 2 fold system. First, we store them in the freezer in a ziplock bag.. It prevents mold growth. When you are done using it, rinse it out with hot water and let it drain through the hose. Every month or so, I use denture tabs to clean them. Just throw 2 tabs in the bladder and fill it with warm water. Make sure you get the water with the dissolved tab into the hose. Let it sit for a few hours. Drain and rinse. Then back in the freezer. I have been doing this for years and have not had any issues.

I did the the same basic thing with my Camelbak and never had a problem with it. I would also put electrolytes in my water but never had problems with mold. It may have been Rocknrollgirl who advised me on this, I no longer remember. The freezer solution was the only one I was every comfortable with - especially after starting to put "stuff" in my water
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-29-2015 at 05:53 AM.

I use mine for longer rides (like 80-100km) and once home, I rinsed it off properly, then add a few drops of javex, shake it well and let the water run through the hose and rinse twice and hang it on clothesline for it to dry. So far so good. Writing it takes almost as much time as doing the job.

In fact, it has been stored for too long...gotta get it out for a long ride on Sunday. May need to wash it again, just to be safe.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike