http://www.kentucky.com/2015/05/25/3...up-holder.html

Horrific behavior by the drunk driver. What really jumps out at me though is that the driver is charged with murder.

I do wonder with a great deal of discomfort whether the prosecutor would've exercised that discretion had the driver not been an apparently undocumented immigrant. Still, in Ohio, the worst he could possibly have been charged with would've been a third degree felony. The Kentucky statute includes in its definition of murder, wanton conduct that creates a grave risk of death. There's language that specifically includes driving a motor vehicle.

I am so tired of this carnage being brushed off as "just accidents," with an extra little tsk-tsk when the driver was doing something before the wreck, that most people agree they shouldn't have. Kudos to Kentucky for taking this step. It's still a high standard and a very long way from what I think the law should be - i.e., making vehicular homicide a strict liability offense like every single other vehicle operation offense - but it's a big improvement over states like Ohio where even if prosecutors and courts wanted to, the highest penalty for the killing is the same as the highest penalty for drunk driving when no one was harmed.