Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Frame donation?

Frame donation?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Has anyone donated a bike frame to a charity? I am considering donating my beloved Gunnar frame since I've apparently little chance of selling it. Considering the high cost of it, I think I would rather donate it to an organization that can make good use of it rather than selling it for $200! We've a local charity who teaches disadvantaged youths how to work on bikes - and they wind up earning their own bike out of the process. I will talk to them first to make certain that they can actually use it.

It is a gorgeous frame, but it is very small and wasn't designed for drop bars - pretty much I need to find someone with my limitations to have any hope of selling it. I am thinking that a teenager might be able to fit the frame though - but who is going to buy a custom frame for a quickly growing teenager?

I need to do something with it - it makes me depressed to see it collecting dust

Oh Catrin. I get sad, too, reading about the bike. Not for the first time I wish I were a couple of inches taller. I'm all for donating things to charity, but not this. Have you contacted Gunnar? I'm wondering if there's anything they could do with it.

(and what size rims would fit?)

Quote Originally Posted by IBrakeforPastry View Post
    Oh Catrin. I get sad, too, reading about the bike. Not for the first time I wish I were a couple of inches taller. I'm all for donating things to charity, but not this. Have you contacted Gunnar? I'm wondering if there's anything they could do with it.

(and what size rims would fit?)
    I hadn't thought about that, I will contact them. As far as the rims, it was designed for 26 inch wheels, rim brakes.

I donated my old road bike to an organization similar to the one you plan to contact, and I give them old components from time to time, also. They're always happy to receive them.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

We have a program in my area where you give your old, functional bike, and a minimum donation of $15 per bike to cover shipping and storage costs.

In exchange, we get an income tax receipt for the market value of the bicycle PLUS cash contribution. This company has shipped over 50,000 bikes. Currently, 18 countries in Latin America and Africa benefit from their bikes and the number of recipient countries continues to grow.

http://cyclonordsud.org/en/donate-bike

That is what we are doing with our old hybrid bikes that are still functional, but dated and no longer used. It's like giving them a 2nd life and we know it will get someone very happy somewhere in the world.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    That's a high-end frame set to give away.

Maybe we could all keep an eye out for someone who needs a very small bike, but can't afford to spend much, and you could sell it for a very reduced price. Kind of half donation half recoupment. Like, referral through TE. Shrug.

It's a shame. That is custom, but the TT and Head tube aren't really that unusual. Maybe saying it's custom is making people assume it won't work.

Another thought. I know some people on here know Georgina Terry, maybe she knows of someone who needs a great frame set, but can't afford one. Seems like she'd be up for something like that, from what I hear.

What are the effective TT and Head Tube heights again?
    TT (theoretical) = 500 (I don't know the effective)
    Head Tube length = 140
    Standover = 730.2mm
    Wheelbase = 990mm

It is a 1-off custom size, and needing to provide the key dimensions rather than a standard size probably hasn't helped. I would be open to something like what you suggest - it would be good to get at least some money for it - plus full shipping and packing costs. I wound up eating way too much in shipping costs when I sold all of the parts to the bike - the wheels especially. It would be good to see it go to someone who can appreciate it, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Theoretical and effective are the same thing, TTT is just a Waterford thing.

I'll start asking around; maybe we could try and network it.

Have you listed it as make an offer plus shipping?
    Networking would be the best approach, I think. I've given up on Craigslist (just heard from those who wanted to steal it), and I couldn't even get any interest at all on eBay - even paid for my listing, I tried to list this frame on every site I could think of for months before giving up. Also hit the local Bike Trader, a regional mountain bike group, and Pink Bike. The PARTS sold pretty quickly.