Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking

To disable ads, please log-in.

We followed REI's lead and "Opted Out" of Black Friday shopping and went outside instead. Took a chilly but lovely hike, so good to be out in the woods instead of a store.

Electra Townie 7D

My daughter and I "Opted Out" as well! It had snowed, but it was warm enough that a good part of the trail was mud and slush. Without my Yaktrax I would have biffed it for sure.

#optoutside by DutchRosie, on Flickr
    (In the bottom right pic, we were looking waaaay down into the pull-out where our car was parked.)

Beautiful images BD…..

While visiting friends in Michigan for Thanksgiving we opted out by going to Flint and donating the money I raised from my work colleagues and especially from my ceo Ellie ($35,000 for the FlintKids’ Child Health & Development Fund}. Alex and I spent most of the day delivering water, water filters and replacement cartridges to residents. We also helped in an arts class for autistic children doing water coloring. Even thought it wasn’t hiking it was a wonderful day of sharing instead of shopping.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

BD - wonderful pics! Here we are, happy, and OUTSIDE!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161125_123316331_HDR.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	18245

Name:	IMG_20161125_121512886.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	18246

Rebecca, awesome way to spend the holiday!

Electra Townie 7D

No pictures, but we hiked about 5 miles in Estabrook Woods today. I probably should have stuck to my plan of riding, but DH did not feel that great. We got a little lost, as we now have to park at the other end of the main trail, because of a controversy about people parking on the street where the Concord trailhead is. I missed the turn off trail to do the loop, so we went down another way and then missed another turn off, which I should have known, as I used to mountain bike here. After a bit of yelling and screaming and me strongly saying I did not want to bushwhack, we got back on the trail, and finished the loop, with a nice stream crossing. Mostly, though, the ponds are so low low because of the drought.
    Probably the most people I've seen in here, as a lot of families were out, due to the holiday. Mostly at the end, though.
    My foot is now hurting in places that I did not injure, so I am icing it and hoping it will be back to where it was this morning.
    I've hiked 11 miles this week, so it's good.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Rebecca - what a wonderful cause! Pax - loved seeing your pics as well - you look very happy to be outside! Crankin - I can totally relate to the "after a bit of yelling and screaming" - glad you got to finish out your hike and hope your foot will be OK.

Today we hiked in Great Brook Farm, where we usually go x country skiing. Except, DH had downloaded a route that was mostly not on the ski trails. They were hiking or mountain biking/snow shoe trails. We didn't start until close to 2 PM, so we brought our headlamps, although we didn't want to have to use them! The first part entailed a very narrow, windy trail, in the middle of the ski trails on what is usually our normal starting point. Then, we crossed the road and thought we'd just be going up some of the bigger climbs on the ski trails. After a certain point, we were at a junction of a hiking trail and a spot close to the bigger climb on the ski route. DH's phone battery was being used up quickly, as he was using a new hiking app to follow a route and the cold, too. We decided we didn't want to venture into an area that while we knew headed around and back, without the trail map and possibly darkness. We saw that we were now on the conservation land trails in the next town, so we turned and went with a route that took us up a climb we know well, and back, no map needed. Even the ski trail signs are down at this time of year. We could see that what we did paralleled what was on the intended route in a shorter way, so next time we will start at noon. As it was we did 4.2 miles and got back about 35 minutes before sunset.
    It's going to snow tonight, but not enough to ski, so maybe we can go back and it before we are on our skis. It might be hard to do this on snowshoes, walking on the edge of the ski trails we did do. But, it was cool to be in a place I've been to many, many times and see new stuff. Very few hikers, all with dogs. And only saw one mountain biker, back in the parking lot.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

OK, today we did the hike we were supposed to do in the above post. We were with our friends, and it was very fun. Of course, today the trails were iced over in about 90% of the terrain, and there is no way you could acutally hike without ice spikes. We saw a few people trying to walk along the sides of the trails, as well as one guy who was sliding down a hill on his butt, being pulled by a couple of dogs.
    The part of the hike that we didn't do last time is awesome. We were on trails that are part of the conservation land in the next town, that went along water, which was beautiful. Saw a large beaver dam. Then, we turned onto a trail that parallels, to some degree, the big climb of the ski trails. It is called Stone Root, for a good reason. It's a dedicated hiking trail in the ski area and quite up and down, narrow, and on a ridge for a good part.
    The hike was about 5 miles. Near the end, we saw a dad and his maybe 7 year old son on fat bikes, on one of the flatter ski trails. The kid was climbing at a ferocious speed on a little Trek fat bike! We got back, ate a snack, and then went and had lunch at Ferns, where all cyclists meet to eat. We actually saw two riders stop in. It was a nice enough day for a ride, but our friends don't ride in the these temperatures, and i was happy to hike.
    Ready to fall asleep now!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

So glad you've been able to hike! I've not been able to hit the trails since my concussion at Thanksgiving. I do hope to hit either trails or MUP once or twice over the next couple of days. I'm off work until Jan 3rd which is very nice. It got to 66 today - but rained much of the day so I only managed a 1.5 mile walk on the streets.

Tried to work off some of the Christmas gluttony with a snowshoe hike today. The snow was already pretty packed down, so it was not a very strenuous hike, but still nice to get off the couch.

Wasatch Winter by DutchRosie, on Flickr

Making tracks by DutchRosie, on Flickr

Winter by DutchRosie, on Flickr

I had a beautiful cold, but sun drenched hike yesterday. A bit under 2 miles as I'm coming back from concussion and I still have shin splints in one leg, but all is improving. I've a lovely photo I would like to share but for some reason I can't seem to share any photos on TE just now.

Today I plan on driving north an hour or so and visiting a new set of trails that are in a park devoted to a native archeological site. Hopefully I can figure out the photo-posting problem afterwards.

Hopefully this will work! I think I need to break down and get a flickr account.

This first picture is from yesterday - it was a glorious day though it was chilly at 41ish degrees. I've good layers however, so was nice and warm for my 1.6 mile hike:

Name:	EC_2016sm.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	18263

Wheww, my new approach appears to be working. This river shot is from today, about an hour north of here. It was ~43ish when I was out and frankly, I almost had too much on. That was comforting as I didn't have my warmest layers on. Right before taking this shot a huge flock? group? of ducks had just taken off from the river but I couldn't move fast enough to get the shot.

3 miles today on soft slushy gravel/dirt mess. A bit nervous that my remaining shin splints will complain but so far so good.

Name:	White River 2016sm.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	18264

Quote Originally Posted by BikeDutchess View Post
    Tried to work off some of the Christmas gluttony with a snowshoe hike today. The snow was already pretty packed down, so it was not a very strenuous hike, but still nice to get off the couch.
    that looks beautiful....is that emma or you in the middle image?....great post processing too!!!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Catrin, it worked and great photos!

Rebecca, thanks! Not me in that middle image - I'm always the one lagging behind to take pics, lol!

Had a lovely 3.25 mile hike today with several hiking friends from church. At 45 degrees the trails were fully thawed...and quite sloppy. That is usually a trail that takes just over 1 hour, but it took a full 1.5 hours today as it was SO muddy in places that we had to pick our way through to keep from falling. Very thankful for my trekking poles for sure! I can handle falling and getting muddy, that's no problem. The problem is my track record these last two years when I've fallen, I just have too many broken bits to risk it.

I did enjoy the hike, mud and all. I do still have shin splints in one leg but the other is healed - which is why I headed for the 3.25 mile trail rather than the 4.4 mile option. Bit by bit! I will relax, and work on my Tai Chi form later tonight.