Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking

To disable ads, please log-in.

I went on my first ever backpacking trip last weekend! OK, it was only 1 night, and we only hiked 2 miles each day, but for me it was a great adventure. Our 2 (young adult) kids have been trying to persuade us to try this for a while now, and as promised, organized everything and carried the heavy backpacks. Quite a role reversal! I really did enjoy it, other than not really being able to sleep well. We camped at about 10,840 feet, and the trailhead was probably just under 10,000 feet (we live at 4,700 feet), so I was gasping for air and had to take it really slow. I was very glad I had borrowed a trekking pole - keeping my balance on the rocks was a bit tricky. But the views were so worth it! I kept saying wow after just about every turn! The only sad part was seeing how decimated the evergreens looked - some kind of bark beetle infestation.

2016.09.18-262-P1040779-UintahsBackpacking by DutchRosie, on Flickr

2016.09.18-262-P1040786-UintahsBackpacking by DutchRosie, on Flickr

That looks wonderful. Viewing the photos kind of puts things in perspective of how small we really are. Great shots.

Thanks, wnyrider, I was hoping that would come across in the photos!

thanks for sharing two great viewpoints!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BikeDutchess View Post
    the trailhead was probably just under 10,000 feet (we live at 4,700 feet), so I was gasping for air and had to take it really slow.
    deeper breathing/more forceful exhales and slowing the pace to slow the breathing rate to a level that will allow continuing with consistency works in bicycle climbing at altitude too

and yeah....we have some beetle infestations in the Sierra Nevada’s here too….thankfully not much in the coastal ranges yet. Adding the effects of climate change to this cycle of infestation really lessens a tree's ability to fight back against it. Unfortunately more damage to beautiful forests and views to come. The work in landscape genomics could give a possible better management solution and regrowth cycle though.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    deeper breathing/more forceful exhales and slowing the pace
    yep! I find I have to catch myself sometimes and make a conscious decision to change my breathing pattern.

Lovely photos, BikeDutchess. Where did you do the trip? We also saw so much beetle devastation in Rocky Mtn Natl Park this past week; it was so sad to see. We stayed on the west side of the park, near Grand Lake.

We did a 15.4 mile hike while in RMNP -- it was killer (to me). We did the Green Mountain Trail to Granite Falls, if anyone has done it; lots of climbing. To get to the trailhead, we hiked the River Trail along the Colorado River; that one was much easier, and the trailhead was just outside our RV Park (Winding River), but it was just too long a hike, and we both suffered during and after. This was several days ago now, and my calves and shins are just now getting back to normal. I found the climbing tough from the altitude, but it was indeed a gorgeous hike!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

15.4 miles, and at that altitude, wow! I am impressed!

We were in the high Uintas, off the beautiful Mirror Lake Highway.

Today we drove up past where we hiked on Wednesday. However, we couldn't find the trail my son described, so we headed back to a nicer elevation and did a very interesting 5 mile hike in the foothills, that was actually in the Claremont city limits. It was called Potato Mountain and is actually a fire road that goes up to a water storage thing. So not technical, but at least one mile of the 2.6 up was 20-30% grade. Geez... The scenery was awesome, surrounded by small mountains, desert plants, and a view that was amazing. The last part up was tough. And going down, well, we will see how my legs feel tomorrow!
    Yesterday we walked about 3-4 miles around Claremont and also on the campus of my son's school.
    My granddaughter had her first visit to a brew pub last night, too.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Beautiful pictures! Also glad to read the different hiking stories.

A couple of us are going hiking in the morning - assuming my knee feels better than tonight. Sometimes it just gets cranky and I hope it's better in the morning. With everyone's schedules this fall it may be the last group hike. The state park we're going to has several lovely falls and is in a beautiful part of the state. I love karst topography and southern Indiana has a lot of it.

Had a nice little hike today - just over 4 miles but my hiking partner had a schedule to keep. It was a fun hike that featured a steep descent over large rocks and roots, as well as several beautiful overlooks. I've two great shots, but right now the forum isn't liking the file extension - I suspect I need to clean space from my account before I can post more shots.

Let's try this again!

This first picture shows one of the scenic overlooks from the trail. It's a nice view of McCormack's Creek - which became the name of the park.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	McCormicks1s.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	18187

THIS was an interesting descent. I had meant us to take the trail the proper direction to go up rather than down - but it went better than expected. Of course it helped knowing I had already come down this hill once before with no knee instability.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	McCormicks2a.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	18188

Last week I used my new orthotics in my hiking boots with less than optimal consequences. THIS time I didn't, and my feet were quite happy. So, for whatever reason, my orthotics work quite well with me light hikers and other shoes but most assuredly NOT with my full hiking boots. I love these boots and they are finally broken in. It's interesting that they are even more expensive now than they were a year ago when I bought mine - so glad I pulled the trigger then!

Nice pictures, Catrin. Funny how different shoes work differently. My Lowas are pretty well broken in, after a year and a half. My bunion is the only thing that bothers me, but it's much better than with my old shoes. I've had my Merrill light hikers for about 15 years; they are fine, but I really need ankle support of full hikers for anything more than flat trail walking. My new trail runners, on the other hand are just not working out. They are kind of tight.
    No hiking today. My day consisted of going out to breakfast, playing with my granddaughter, and going out for ice cream. Surprisingly, after some initial stiffness, my legs are fine today. I think tomorrow we will get up early and do another in town hike. It's going to be 102 degrees here, so we need to be done by 9 or 10 am.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

102?!? We can't complain with our 90ish...they say that things will cool down next week.

It really surprised me to find my orthotics just don't work in my full hikers but they do in all of my other shoes that aren't totally broken down. I have to wonder if the more rigid backpacking shoes just change the dynamics of how the custom inserts interact with my feet. Well, the Salomans feel fantastic as long as I don't wear them on pavement and I can use the orthotics in all my other shoes - outside of my winter UGGS.

The custom inserts have been quite the surprise. I was rather surprised to find that they are NOT expensive arch supports - indeed they aren't arch supports at all but somehow work by adjusting how my hind foot hits the ground. However they work, the cranky foot with the bone spurs in my metatarsal joint is calming down nicely and my OTHER foot is feeling better as well. My podiatrist supplies 2 orthotics- which to me makes far more sense than just providing one insert. To my mind having two different inserts creates another kind of imbalance & he doesn't charge any more than those who just get one.

I did enjoy the hike today, though I must admit it was a little disconcerting to see a family walk down that lengthy descent like it was nothing - and it took me some time to negotiate it with my trekking poles. No matter, I got down it, that's all that counts. AND neither knee was snarky about it.
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-24-2016 at 06:25 PM.

Everyone descends faster than I do, which is not much different than riding...
    So, we never thought that the red flag warnings for fire danger/heat/dust storms would close the Claremont Loop Trail. We got there at 6:35, the sun was not quite up, when we saw signs and gates in the road. DH and I parked, walked to the entrance, which was also shut. So, luckily there was a bike trail/path that started near the parking, so we did an out and back of about 4.5 miles on that. Thankfully, I had opted to wear my regular running shoes and running gear, because my full hikers would have been torture on pavement. So, we were disappointed, but we had mountains on one side of the trail and lovely homes and parks on the other. It was really busy with walkers and runners, only saw 3-4 cyclists.
    We got back to my son's house, ate, and then headed down to Seal Beach for fish tacos and a walk on the beach. Now to relax.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Sounds like a lovely walk Crankin - and good to hear you had something other than your full hikers with you. Your beach walk sounds fun as well.

We were 87 on Sunday, but will be in the high 60s until next Sunday - a bit cool for this time of the year. I'm not complaining. As I'm taking off work on Friday I'm hoping there isn't much rain so I can do some solo hiking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk