Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking

To disable ads, please log-in.

Pictures from hikes at Mt. Baldy and Claremont. First 2 are Claremont; I tried to show the steepness of this fire road. Pics 3 and 4 are from the Ice House trail at Mt. Baldy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0087.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	18202   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0092.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	18201   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0068.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	18200   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0060.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	18199  
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Looks lovely Crankin! Beautiful and you get some cardiovascular benefits as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Ordered new hiking poles, got some better quality, lighter ones, with angled grips. Really looking forward to giving them a go... and my wife will try my old ones and see if she likes trekking with them, can't wait to get out there again.

Catrin, if you're mobile next summer, maybe we'll come over so I can hobble some of your trails... wanna play trial guide??

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Ordered new hiking poles, got some better quality, lighter ones, with angled grips. Really looking forward to giving them a go... and my wife will try my old ones and see if she likes trekking with them, can't wait to get out there again.

Catrin, if you're mobile next summer, maybe we'll come over so I can hobble some of your trails... wanna play trial guide??
    I would love to do that, let's plan on it!

Deal!

Electra Townie 7D

Today was a bit of a post-knee-surgery milestone. Back in the spring I chose a hiking goal of 150 miles for the year. I just pulled it out of the air and hoped it wasn't too much as my knee was still recovering from the surgery. Initially I wasn't going to count pavement walking as that isn't 'hiking' to me but it's been so wet all summer that there were a couple of times that I had as much as a 4-week break between trail hikes as things were just too wet. So, as of today, I've actually hiked/trekked/walked 183 miles and the year isn't over yet!

It's been quite the journey. The knee is as good as it is going to be and I will take that. That knee is still shot, but I'm a long way off from being a replacement candidate and as long as I have my boots, sticks, and avoid most technical trails I can go all-day long. I don't do too badly for a broken down old woman :-)

Now I just need to work out how to continue hiking in winter - assuming it's a relatively dry one. Thankfully I still have my PI Amfib tights and can work the rest out. Hiking in cold temps is much easier for me than riding in 28 degrees...

That is awesome, Catrin, congrats on meeting -- and exceeding -- your goal! And I am totally with you on cold-weather hiking vs. cycling. Just be very careful if there's ice, of course.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Way to go Catrin!! I'm big time impressed.

Electra Townie 7D

Very impressive, Catrin.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

We went to the nearby park today so I could try my new poles, it was awesome!! I felt so mobile, I walked up a little hill, down the other side, walked on uneven surfaces, through some branches and leaves... I did good!!

Electra Townie 7D

Got my new low hikers today, can't wait to try them outside! Even the little walk I did off pavement yesterday showed me I need more support than tennis shoes, so I'm trying to pay attention to my body and wear more supportive footwear.

I've worn Keens forever but the recent reviews on them (mostly from long term wearers) were abysmal. So I'm trying Merrell Moabs.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Got my new low hikers today, can't wait to try them outside! ...So I'm trying Merrell Moabs.
    Another coincidence... do your Moabs look like the ones I just got this week-end?! They are very comfy : )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moab hikers.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	18203

Quote Originally Posted by wnyrider View Post
    Another coincidence... do your Moabs look like the ones I just got this week-end?! They are very comfy : )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moab hikers.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	18203
    That's them, mine are a dark gray. Good to hear they're comfy!

Electra Townie 7D

Pax!!! Congratulations on having fun with the new poles! It is SUCH a good feeling to get off pavement, isn't it?

I'm also glad to read the Merrills worked for you. They just aren't for me, thankfully my two pair of Keene Voyageurs are great. I have also read reviews, it seems like there has been some quality control problems this year but thankfully my two pair fit great. Figured I better get 2 pair before they change them. Of course I can't wear light hikers for actual trail hiking, not with MY feet, but they are great for pavement and flat trails with no personality. My Solamons come out for everything else

It does feel great, Catrin!!

I wore (and still own) Keen Targhee boots, I guess the new ones leak (they're supposed to be goretex). Not a problem with those breathable Voyagers though. Hoping the Moabs work well for me, now I just need to get to a real trail and get some dirt on them!!

Electra Townie 7D