Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    My legs are tired from three days of walking, but they definitely feel stronger.

Knee replacement surgery definitely addresses cartilage loss because they actually remove the bone heads where your cartilage used to be. You end up with the metal inserts in place of where your cartilage used to wrap over the top of your bones, they also insert a plastic spacer that takes the place of your meniscus so it's all replaced in there, everything is new except your muscles, ligaments and tendons.
    The more active the better! I think my slowness in gaining strength was due to my job - lots of sitting. I mitigate that as much as I can but I have to work. Hopefully I can prevent it from weakening now I'm back in the office. I know there is permanent impairment but I'm a lot better off than many.

As far as what the replacement entails - wow Hopefully I won't ever need to go there but your description provided what I wanted to learn. It's good to know that if it ever does reach that point there are things that can be done. Thankfully I am decidedly not a candidate and hopefully can avoid that. VERY glad to hear that YOUR improvement continues!

So glad you're not there, knee replacement is, by far, the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I'm glad I could walk the convention center now, but if I could still go back and undo the surgery I would.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    So glad you're not there, knee replacement is, by far, the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I'm glad I could walk the convention center now, but if I could still go back and undo the surgery I would.
    Damn...that's a shame, Pax. I remember discussing on here how difficult it was for my step-father, particularly in his second knee, which was a more difficult surgery, for whatever reason. But I figured that was because he was slacker than he should have been about rehab and older as well. I hate that you have also had regrets and a bad result.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Damn...that's a shame, Pax. I remember discussing on here how difficult it was for my step-father, particularly in his second knee, which was a more difficult surgery, for whatever reason. But I figured that was because he was slacker than he should have been about rehab and older as well. I hate that you have also had regrets and a bad result.
    For me it's the issue with scar tissue. My surgeon should have listened and looked back into my chart more to see the issues I have with scarring before we proceeded. He should have been able to give me a better idea of what to expect. I've had adhesion's and excessive scarring after every surgery I've had (ten of them) so there was ample information available to him. I'm glad I can walk better and farther now, but the cost is more than I would have willingly paid.

Electra Townie 7D

Ugh, so sorry Pax.

As far as my own knee surgery is concerned, it wasn't near as profound as yours but it certainly didn't bring me back to what I was before. I am trying to find peace over all of this a year later, and I am happy that I can do what I can. It IS better than before the surgery, the fall did a real number on that knee, there was no doubt that it needed to be tried.

It is odd to have visceral evidence of the fact we are aging. Gotta say, not a fan. But I guess it's better than the alternative.

Electra Townie 7D

Catrin,
    These pics are for you! From yesterday's hike. Lots of scrambling and shoots and ladders. The is me on the lft going up a steep section and my husband on the right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Profile to Mcrea 016 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	18075   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Profile to Mcrea 006 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	18074  

That looks like a beautiful and fun hike, RnR!

We took a hike on the around-lake trail here at the state park yesterday. It is pretty much just a mowed strip of grass, not strenuous at all other than in length. Gorgeous views all around of prairie flowers and grasses and the lake. Lots of birds and a few Monarch butterflies!

We got about 3/4 of the way around the lake when suddenly the trail just ENDED. They had just stopped mowing, and the native grasses were taller than me, so no way to cut through. Ugh. So, we had to backtrack to get back to the campground the only way to get there. We could see it across the lake, but it was a long hike to get back. Not a big deal except that there was a t-storm approaching with ominous dark clouds coming our way, so we were hauling butt to beat it back. It had been sunny when we left the motorhome, and we'd left some things outside we didn't want to get wet, plus most of the windows open.

We did make it back in time at a record "hiking" pace for us. Ended up with 6 miles overall. Here are a few shots from the hike:

Attachment 18076 Attachment 18077 Attachment 18078
    Emily

RnR and Emily - those are all great pictures! RnR - that is exactly the type of hiking I really want to do (but knee can't handle) so I really appreciate the pictures. Thankfully I CAN handle most of the terrain found on a midwest mountain bike trail (outside of a double black diamond trail) which is why I seek those out. It looks like a lot of fun! Indiana has several state parks close to me that has that kind of terrain on their trails which I am carefully avoiding because I know me and my ego

Emily, I especially love your picture with the butterfly. Glad you got back in time!

Thinking of a trail long enough Saturday morning to have another coffee/ice cream "drink" when I get home

Wow, R and R, that looks like "climbing," not hiking to me! I would freak out, but I guess I could try... rock scrambling kind of ruins it for me.
    Emily, that sounds like quite an adventure.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

We did some rock scrambling in Canyonlands National Park and I loved it. A little scary but challenging and fun. I much prefer going up than coming back down, though!
    Emily

Ugh, can't even think about the down on terrain like that. A hint that I don't care for descending in any sport!
    Except cross country skiing and snow shoeing. Weird, I feel empowered when I descend on snow. Maybe because the falling will be cushioned? I actually can run down hills on snowshoes and I have surprised myself descending on those skinny skis. I am not fast, but I go.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Wow, R and R, that looks like "climbing," not hiking to me! I would freak out, but I guess I could try... rock scrambling kind of ruins it for me.
    I used to be a climber, and we have spent a lot of time on stuff like that. While my mom was still alive we used to go out to CO and bang out 14er's every summer. When that got old we started doing knife edge ridges. i love it. We both do. The more scramably the better! We are planning a fast assault on Huntington Ravine later this summer.

Now perspective. I can do that up and down all day long, but if I have to drive in the city I will cry and if I have to cycle on a road with no shoulder I FREAK out. It is not pretty!

Here is a good one from last summer. We had just come down off that cirque.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colorado 2015 092 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	18079  

Ha, I do not drive in the city, either. I moved away, to places that are laid out on grids, 2 months before I got my permit. Moving back, at age 36, I knew there would be no driving in Boston for me. It was bad enough learning to drive in the snow at that age! I always say, the closer you get to the city, the higher the level of azzhole driving.
    However, I can ride on roads with no shoulder.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura