Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thanks for the recommendation Eden - I will keep it in mind. While we do have a large number of mosquitos, I'm actually more concerned about ticks - and where I hike there are usually quite a lot of ticks for some reason - last time I literally had to rip one off my throat before I gave up and went back to the "bad" stuff. I think they fall out of the trees here

Bite Blocker does repel ticks as well as DEET. BuzzAway Extreme (not the regular BuzzAway) uses a similar formula. What they fail at is the Asian tiger mosquitoes. Just like any other insect control, nothing works on all species (and if it does, it probably works on humans too ).

I just got some essential oil of lemon eucalyptus (from PlantTherapy, recommended to me as very high quality essential oils) and added some to the bug spray I bought. We don't really have Asian tiger mosquitoes at home (yet, thank goodness, and may they stay away), but there are a few places we go where there are "pockets" of them. So I'll find out whether it works on them, if not I'll bring my picaridin based, toxic "inert" ingredient laden, repellent as backup.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I like the looks of those Salamons, Catrin, especially in the color you got -- my fave sea green. Will put them on my "maybe someday" list. I have older Asics trail runners that are just about shot, and some very heavy-duty hiking boots that are too much for many of the hikes we do, so something like this would be a good "tweener" pair for light to moderate hikes. I've just bought new walking and running shoes so really can't spend any more right now, but maybe in the fall. I also have a narrow heel and need a wider toe box due to hallux limitus and arthritis of my big toe joint, so these might just fit the bill.

Thanks for pointing them out, and hope they work for you for a good long time!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thanks Oakleaf, I will check that out. I've been considering adopting a hat of some kind for hiking as I won't spray my head, but that just sounds so hot!

Emily - I'm one of those who have always been hard to fit. Very high arches, wide toe box, narrow heels. THEN in 2004 had major foot surgery (left ankle ligament repair + heel osteotomy), knee surgery (2015) and what appears to be arthritis (long time now) - or something - in my right metatarsal joint that makes hiking impossible without the right footwear. I refuse to have them "look" at it as almost every time I have them look at something they use the surgery word. If it really is arthritis as I suspect, what else can they do with it? Or anything else? So why bother unless it gets much worse. My one foot surgery was a horrible experience (due to the osteotomy) and I won't easily go there again.

This wasn't my first failed experiment with Merrill's, but I was hopeful this time as they felt good - at first. Each wearing was worse, so lesson learned. The brand just isn't for me. My lovely Salomon Comet 3D Lady GTX hiking boots never did hurt, but yesterday I realized that they were (finally) wonderfully comfortable - indeed felt like they were molded to my feet. Granted, due to knee injury plus surgery I think I only wore them 3-4 times last year and about 10 times this year (many of those were much shorter hikes than yesterday's 4.5 miles). Of course they are the most rigid footwear I've ever had and that took some getting used to. So whether my budget likes them or not, Salomons appear to be my best bet for function and comfort. Well, that's what savings are for - the cost prevents me from impulse purchasing & that's a good thing.

I'm on vacation and driving down to TN in a couple of days - planning on hiking a trail in the Smoky Mountains National Park with my sister on Friday - SHE is picking the trail. My only requirement I gave her was it must be dirt - no gravel or pavement. I've hiked much more than she has so it will be interesting to see what trail she chooses :-)
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-29-2016 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I think that you could make a job out of finding shoes that fit.
    I was at my chiropractor's the other day talking about my shoe fit issues, and the personal trainer whose studio is across the hall overheard and handed me her daughter's card, who does just that.

Don't know anything else about her business or credentials, but I might contact her just on the off chance she's seen shoes I haven't (doubtful).

Have fun, Catrin!
    I now see I may be able to get ride f the 15 year old light hikers and the new trail runners that hurt my feet. It's going to have to wait, though.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Catrin, have fun! The Smokies are so beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Catrin, have fun! The Smokies are so beautiful.
    Yes, it's where I'm from

Will be so interested to hear about your hike, Catrin. Love that area! Hope your feet do well and all your other bits too!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I hope so as well

Great Smoky National Park - Tremont. Beautiful! We tried a more aggressive trail but it was too steep for my knee. Climbing wasn't the problem, getting down was a different story so we turned around and went to Tremont. Still pleased with how my knee did

It may be that steep vertical step-downs will just be my knee "kryptonite" but I was still able to get down without sliding down on my bum. Patella was twinging by the bottom so it's good we turned back when we did. The trail we moved to, and where these shots were taken was fine. Time will tell what we do tomorrow
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-03-2016 at 11:32 AM.

Really nice!
    Glad you are having fun.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

FINALLY, after more than a year since my initial fall, and almost a year from my surgery, I finally was able to hike at my favorite state park in southern Indiana. I wouldn't even risk it before this weekend. My choice of trail was questionable - it was the second most advanced mtb trail in the park. There was one section that had me standing there holding my breath and praying before I risked it (more erosion since I've last been there), and both directions was scary as it was an out-and-back but it was the only spot that really felt sketchy. There were a couple rock armored crossings that were weird, but I was able to get around those without a problem. I did think a few times that it probably shouldn't have been my first choice but I completed the 4+ mile out and back in about 2.5 hours. No falling, no tricky knee, love the two trekking poles and there is no way I could have done it without their support.

Odd thing about my phone's hiking/activity tracker. The trail is listed as being 2.1 miles in one direction, and my phone said it was 1.99 miles - but that isn't the strange part. The odd part is that while the start-end time was clearly right at one hour for the out-bound direction - but it only showed 30 minutes duration. Perhaps the twisty-bendy nature of cross-country mtb trails had it confused, especially if it had an iffy GPS connection. The return trip was slower (and I did rest before returning), but that's ok. It isn't for a speed record - best way I know of to wind up needing emergency services to have to search for me and carry me out of the woods - NO THANKS.

I'm bringing a couple women from my church next weekend to hike so I figured I had better come early to really test my knee out first. Glad I did
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-08-2016 at 03:20 PM.

That is great, Catrin, you give me hope!!

And agree on the poles, they make me feel so much more confident.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    That is great, Catrin, you give me hope!!

And agree on the poles, they make me feel so much more confident.
    I think it's more than confidence, though they certainly provide that. Some of the armored crossings I did today really required me to have something to grab onto as support - I don't think that's a good explanation but it's as close as I can get. I DO know they take enough stress off my legs that my knee has yet to perform tricks when using them. I do think my knee/quad is finally starting to strengthen. It may not get all the way back to normal but I will take what improvement I can get