Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking

To disable ads, please log-in.

I no longer feel strange using them, it's apparent that if I want to continue hiking then I need them. So that settles that, glad I spent the money

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    There's absolutely no shame in using trekking poles -- they are helpful in avoiding falls, injuries, and negotiating challenging terrain. I can't wait to get mine back from my mom's basement. We've done a few hikes lately on our travels back from Florida, and I missed them. That's great that you may do some AT day hikes. It's such a gorgeous trail. We're hoping for a lot more hiking this year as well. The couple of woodland hikes we did in Georgia and SC (upland hilly areas) just whetted my appetite and left me wanting more!
    We always hike with poles, have for years. I would not leave home without them.

Don't really hike here in FL, the areas with trails are a bit too "creature filled" for my tastes, but for walking on uneven beach walkovers and long beach walks, they are a lifesaver for me. They really help to compensate for uneven ground and provide me with the confidence to move a little quicker without fear of tripping/falling on my handy dandy new knee implant.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Don't really hike here in FL, the areas with trails are a bit too "creature filled" for my tastes, but for walking on uneven beach walkovers and long beach walks, they are a lifesaver for me. They really help to compensate for uneven ground and provide me with the confidence to move a little quicker without fear of tripping/falling on my handy dandy new knee implant.
    Hope you can find some trails that are less of a "creature feature"...

I need to find some different hiking shoes for longer-distance urban walking. With my arthritic feet I have to be careful which shoes to use so I don't start limping within a few blocks from pain in the metatarsophalangeal joint. I can't use my Salomon's that I use for trails - they are far too much for paved walking/hiking. Bound and determined to stay as active as possible! I suspect that I will find other Salomon shoes for that purpose - love my trail version as they are light and keep me going without pain as long as there isn't any pavement or gravel in my hiking route. At least I don't need to worry about alligators!

Much to my surprise, my beloved hiking boots are even more expensive now than when I bought them - the exact same model. Guess I got them at a good time - and they weren't cheap then
    Last edited by Catrin; 04-09-2016 at 12:00 PM.

I've switched to Olukai flip flop for almost everything, I ride my bike, take long beach walks, do the shopping, all in my trusty flip flops! But when I lived where it was cold, I was a big fan of Keen Targhee boots, not as rigid as my old hiking boots, but plenty supportive. And they'll accept any insole if you need to switch.

Electra Townie 7D

Thanks Pax, I will check out the Targhee II, I know REI carries them locally and there are probably other retailers. I've not yet found Keen boots that felt good to my feet but I've certainly not tried ALL of them. Basically I need something that isn't as rigid as my backpacking boots but still very supportive and won't collapse around my feet - and ankle support is also good on pavement. As much as I love my Salomons will also see if they have something appropriate locally. I won't buy anything like this online unless it is a repeat purchase.
    Last edited by Catrin; 04-10-2016 at 09:41 AM.

I don't know if you have wide feet, I do so I have to buy the men's version. They were what I wore daily for cool/cold weather for the last eight years. Worked very well with my plantar fascitis.

Electra Townie 7D

I don't know if you have wide feet, I do so I have to buy the men's version. They were what I wore daily for cool/cold weather for the last eight years. Worked very well with my plantar fascitis.
    I've a narrow toe box and wide heel so it can be interesting getting the right fit. I don't intend on using them for the trails as I've that taken care of, just looking to keep my feet as happy as possible for both environments. Good to know they've worked well with your PF - I've that as well (of course). I think the arthritis + changed gait with my knee problem has made it more susceptible to flaring up.

Wish I could still ride...but with the cold weather right now I am thankful that I don't feel obligated to ride in cold temps "just" because it happens to be April

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I've a narrow toe box and wide heel so it can be interesting getting the right fit. I don't intend on using them for the trails as I've that taken care of, just looking to keep my feet as happy as possible for both environments. Good to know they've worked well with your PF - I've that as well (of course). I think the arthritis + changed gait with my knee problem has made it more susceptible to flaring up.

Wish I could still ride...but with the cold weather right now I am thankful that I don't feel obligated to ride in cold temps "just" because it happens to be April
    It's so annoying how one thing gets hurt and it makes three other things hurt.

Electra Townie 7D

It's so annoying how one thing gets hurt and it makes three other things hurt.
    Yup. I will take it over the alternative, however.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I did a 5.1 mile hike today, because I was overridden in choice of activity. My friend and her DH rode yesterday, got cold and suffered. Today was gorgeous and sunny and 51 degrees. The hike was awesome, I am exhausted, but I am yearning for my bike. What is wrong with me? The thing i like about hiking is that you can talk! Had a good climb in the middle of the hike, which was quite strenuous; this is up the backside of an old ski hill. The ponds and streams in this area are very full. The stream crossing was tricky; DH had to help me as I was sure I was going to fall in the rushing water. We have had so much rain recently.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Planning on a nice long mtb hike tomorrow - a 5-6 mile test. I think my knee is ready for it

Today I was at REI (love that premium) and walked out with a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilator hiking shoes for my pavement walking sessions during the week. While the weather is nice I want to park 1.5 miles or so from work and walk to-from - and needed something less rigid for that walk as pavement walking tears my feet UP and my hiking boots are just overkill. I really wanted a pair of Salomon hiking shoes they had but, in the end, they were just a tad small and I won't do that to myself.

What this post is about is the range of sizes. For my feet, which probably didn't shrink or grow between shoe changes, the Salomon shoes that fit the best were 8.5. The Merrills were size 10.5. Now to be fair my normal size is usually between 9.5-10, Salomons run large. My Salomon hiking boots are size 9. It's just really interesting to me just how variable shoe sizes are in the same type of shoe across manufacturers and is why I won't buy shoes online unless it's a repeat purchase.

For Chaco lovers I also bought a pair of THESE to have something to change into when I walk to the office. Comfort of sandals without showing my ugly toes in the office, and even enough support for ME which says something. Thankfully I rarely have meetings outside of the office so I can get away with this.

Oh yes, REI was less expensive than Zappos which was a suprise
    Last edited by Catrin; 04-15-2016 at 03:02 PM.

Sounds like you had a fruitful shopping trip. Enjoy!
    I noticed Sunday, that I can't really wear my "lite hikers" and expect ankle support. They are just short of being trail runners, except with thicker soles. Yet, my regular hikers are too beefy and warm for local hikes.
    So I have hiking shoes, lite hikers, and trail running shoes, and I find each has a very narrow range of wear.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I find the lighter hikers I bought today to be about halfway between my trail runners and boots for support. I would have preferred a higher ankle, but the only ones I found that weren't too rigid for pavement to be far too expensive, so I didn't go there. My trail runners used to be fine for pavement, but my feet now need more support than they once did. I doubt I will ever take the Merrells on an actual trail as they have no ankle support but at least with the more narrow range of wear they should all last longer than otherwise. Trail runners are now relegated to the gym - they are still in great shape. And it isn't like I will ever be able to run again.

4.77 miles today - I had intended to hike between 5-6 miles but decided that would increase my distance too fast - my longest hike so far this year has been 4 miles. It went well! I did try to remember to get some salt during, stretched afterwards, and then had a reasonable lunch at the Inn run by the state park. Hopefully no cramping tonight, we will see but I feel pretty good. Will have a small glass of port later to celebrate If I DO cramp tonight it shouldn't be nutritionally based or for a lack of stretching, so am crossing my fingers. The weather was AWESOME and I even got hot. We had snow flurries last week and today it was >70 in the woods. I saw several woodpeckers doing their thing, and several red winged blackbirds.

Something odd DID happen, though not to me. I prefer to hike mountain bike trails, and I was on one that could be considered intermediate. I saw a young couple start on the trail with a double-wide baby carriage with their twins!!!!!!! It was their first time in that park and they hadn't realized that it was a MTB trail, but the .3 mile they hiked before I saw them should have given them a clue. No harm done though. I don't normally say anything but I had to in this situation - not that they would have gotten that thing much further as they were close to the place where the trail narrows, and rocky/sharp/short drops commence. We talked and I left them with my trail map of the park and ideas of other trails in the park. Sometimes it's hard to know when to say anything but I didn't see where I had a choice in that situation. They DID choose to follow me out and go to one of the other trails I suggested.
    Last edited by Catrin; 04-16-2016 at 03:40 PM.