Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking

To disable ads, please log-in.

Had a quite nice 6 mile hike/trek this morning at 7am. We are under this "heat dome" they keep talking about and it seemed a good idea to go early. By 7:30 am it was so hot and humid that my breath would fog up my glasses - I've not seen that here before outside of the winter. Thankfully as the sun rose higher the humidity appeared to go down a bit, but sweat was certainly rolling down the first hour of our hike, then it became more like normal. I don't normally sweat a lot so it's saying something when I do. I had my Salt Stick capsules and used them! At one point my foot became trapped in roots and I fell - but it was a slow-motion fall and I could choose which knee hit the ground - whew!

More heat tomorrow but I will exercise at home after I get home from church with my kettlebells. Next Saturday is the women's group hike I lead and am looking forward to that.

Somehow I've become the leader of a small women's hiking group from my church. There are currently 6 of us, and I'm unsure I really want it to get larger as it adds complexity considering we go on road trips for hiking. Today will be the first time that all 6 of us have made it at the same time, and if I get more cool pictures will share them. Hopefully we will see the camels again, hopefully from their front ends this time

I've planned a 6 mile trek today - and I'm coming to like the term 'trekking' over hiking as I think the European term really describes better what we do. More and more I hear the term "hiking" used for much more technical hiking - but I tend to perhaps pay more attention to words than I should. Trekking is a great word though so will stick with it.

The best thing about the group is the range of women who have joined us. The youngest are two young women who were just married in our church a couple months past - the first lesbian couple to have a church wedding in our parish since it became legal to do more than a less official blessing (the first gay male couple were married a couple of weeks later), the oldest is a 70 year old woman who joins us when she and her husband isn't traveling. This group wasn't started intentionally, it was born when I was earlier in my knee injury/surgery recovery when it wasn't wise for me to hike solo no matter how easy the trail and I didn't want to fall into the habit of always asking the same person/people to go with me.
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-30-2016 at 03:01 AM.

That is so awesome, Catrin. I like the trekking term, too.
    I need to get back to hiking, with that trip looming in the future. I am pretty sure I have (had) a stress fracture in my metatarsal from when I kind of kicked and tripped on a root a couple of weeks ago. It's fine cycling, but walking in certain shoes hurts a little. More of an ache, and I know only time helps, so I am going to wait another week or two.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Catrin, I LOVE that you're doing this, taking the lead and showing other women the ropes. How very cool that it fell into place so well, it was meant to be.

Electra Townie 7D

Youch Crankin, hope that heals quickly! My metatarsal (ball of the foot) joint is where I've so much arthritis so I know what you are going through even if it's a different cause.

VERY nice 6 miles today, and there were only 3 of us - one was ill and the other two got tied up but they had their own hike later so that's all good. IT WAS HUMID, and while I took several Salt Stick capsules during the hike by the time I got home (after lunch and a 90 minute drive), both feet were cramping pretty badly plus one calf. Just took another one to be safe. I drank almost a liter of water during the hike which may not have been quite enough, but I feel fine now. More stretching tonight.

Thanks Pax! I don't know how noticeable it is online but I'm not the most socially comfortable woman around, so it's kind of amazing and comforting at the same time to have this little group come together. Now if my feet will jut continue to cooperate (crossing fingers and toes on this one).
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-30-2016 at 02:07 PM.

Good going, Catrin! I think it's great that you're doing this. If I lived in Indy, I would join you for sure.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

No formal hiking this weekend - however as I DID walk over 6 miles on pavement yesterday I think that counts. About half of that was to walk from my car to GenCon 2016, the rest was walking around in the exhibition hall for about 6 hours. It was HUGE - and a lot of fun. Very little standing around - glad I went!

How fun! All I did was pack, very not fun.

Electra Townie 7D

No...but you will SO much enjoy being back in the Midwest

I really will!!

Electra Townie 7D

After trying, and exchanging, increasingly more expensive light hiking shoes to find something that I can use for long pavement walks without pain during or later, I finally found a winner. I really liked a couple that I returned - but they all provided to be either too narrow for my toes or too wide in my heels. They ALL felt great at first but until I finally found the paragon of light hikers for me, they all felt worse (and in some cases MUCH worse) at each wearing. For one of them actually had to take time off work as I couldn't walk the next day

Much to my surprise the paragon of light hikers turned out to be the Keen Voyageur. Their sandals haven't worked out for me in the past so I never considered them until they were my only option left at REI before I would have to start searching elsewhere...which I wanted to avoid as MOST places won't allow you to return or exchange shoes. They are far from sexy, but hey, all I care about is to be able to do what I can do with as little pain as possible

Are they perfect? No...but they aren't far from it & I think once I get my custom orthotics (very soon) they will be as close to perfect as is possible for me. Thinking about getting another pair to set aside just in case Keen redesigns them.

That is pretty cool, I like Keens and need some light hikers, I'll give them a look. (I normally wear Keen Targhees)

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    That is pretty cool, I like Keens and need some light hikers, I'll give them a look. (I normally wear Keen Targhees)
    From what I've read Pax, the Voyageur are quite close to the Targhees - but the Targhees are waterproof, the Voyageurs aren't. My feet overheat very easily, though I seem to only notice that on pavement. My Solomon Comet GTX 3D hiking boots (dirt only) are technically waterproof but as long as I've 2 pairs of socks on I don't have a problem with over-heating or hot spots. MY idea of a "light hiker" may well be more robust than those who don't have bad feet/knees

Excellent, the Targhees are great as a winter boot, but run very hot the rest of the time.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Excellent, the Targhees are great as a winter boot, but run very hot the rest of the time.
    The Targhee's are currently on my $hit list. I have the men's - because I have really wide toes. They blistered the snot out of my little toe (bottom) on the second day we were in Ireland. I ended up hiking the rest of the trip in barefoot sandals.

Just goes to show how different we all are - I'm glad they work for someone!!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...