Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thinking about trail riding

To disable ads, please log-in.

I really love my road bike. But I have thought about how it might be cool to try trail riding, something more off road. I have a nice hybrid bike that lets me ride in town and on some gravel. So that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about going out to a lake or some trails.

So I don't really know any trail riders. I know the ideal is go out with some one who is doing it and try it with them.

Also if I were looking at Trek type bikes for this purpose, what do people like.

I am a sturdy but not fast road bike rider. I did 40 miles yesterday. But my son took me on a hike on hiking trails that doubled as bike trails and I couldn't help but think how biking that might be really cool.

So am I strong enough? I'm 58 years old. what questions should I be asking?

And please if this topic is previously hashed out, link me to those threads.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5 WSD

2011 Trek FX7.2--What can I say? It was on sale!

I know xc mountain bikers in their 70s. Just start with easier trails.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I'll tell you the advice that made the most difference for me and mountain biking, that's to get out of the saddle. When you go over roots or rocks or whatever get out of the saddle and let the bike move under you and let your arms and legs be the shocks.

I'm no great rider, but that made a world of difference in things I was willing to ride and my confidence level.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I'm 55, and I teach mountain biking. 10% of the gals that show up for the weekly ladies rides are over 50. So don't let the age thing get in your way. I will build on what thekarens said: take a skills class. You will not regret it. It will save you a lot of frustration, help with confidence and make you a safer rider.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Thank you to everyone that replied. It's all good stuff. Irulan, I live in the middle of KS. Where might one attend a "skills" class? Are they usually offered through bike clubs or local bike stores? Just a starting spot...
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5 WSD

2011 Trek FX7.2--What can I say? It was on sale!

My LBS has some skills classes and beginner rides. We also have a mountain bike club in this area, but it doesn't look like there are any in Kansas, at least none affiliated with IMBA.

https://www.imba.com/partners/chapter-and-club

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

a quick google "mountain bike club kansas" brings up five different organizations.
    add "skills" to the string and this pops right up:
    http://www.meetup.com/The-Wheel-Cycl...nts/168785572/
    it may not be current but these things aren't hard to find.
    I'd check each organization's web site for women's rides, events, classes, clinics
    If you don't see what you want, email the club and ask. Not all volunteer organizations are organized.

edit: wow, Earthriders has a ladies' only forum, how about that!
    Last edited by Irulan; 05-28-2015 at 07:24 PM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

After about a 15 yr break, I started mt biking again and just love it! As other suggested, I went to a Women's Mt Bike Camp in Indiana. http://www.midwestwomensclinic.com/ I hope to go back this yr!

The new bikes are amazing. I bought a Juliana Furtado, it is sooooo fun!

I would like to get back to mountain biking. There are some parks around here where the trails are not too technical, which is about my speed. I just need to get the mountain bike out onto a road or paved trail to make sure everything is working and to check on some saddle position changes we made last year. So what is stopping me? It just seems there are always fun road rides to do. And I already know the road bike is in good shape and the fit is dialed in.

One of these days...

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles