Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruby and dolce

Ruby and dolce

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi! I've been lurking for a while now. Loved reading about everyone's favorite bikes. Actually helped me in deciding to get my vita elite! I'm in love with her but am considering doing some more serious road biking. I tried a 51 and a 54 dolce. The 54 fit fantastic once they flipped the handlebar stem over. The 51 felt cramped and actually hurt when I rode it. I'm currently trying to find a used one. I'm 5'6" tall without shoes.

I found an 09 ruby elite in my price range. And in a size 54. The current geometry listed on the specialized site makes the two sound nearly identical other than the standover height. Has that been everyone else's experience? Lbs did not have a ruby I could try.

Should I drive an hour away and try this ruby or should I steer clear? Is it too much bike for a beginner road cyclist?

I've tried almost 3 times to post something, and it keeps saying it needs mod approval... and then it decided to work this time.

Thanks so much for the help and the guide. Silly ? - are you 5'7 with shoes on? Sounds like this bike could be perfect as long as it is in good condition.

Do you know how to find a bike group in my area? My fiance and I like to ride together, but sometimes I'm able to ride when he isn't and vice versa..

We will be meeting at a Wawa, no bike shops nearby that I know of.. I'll definitely go check out the youtube videos later too.

This is the actual bike:

http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Searc...2041&year=2009
    Last edited by Palomino bet; 05-18-2015 at 06:09 PM.

Thank you for your help! Just curious - are you 5'7 with shoes or without? I checked out the guide, it was very helpful - and I will look on Youtube for more information as well on what to look for.

We are meeting at a wawa - no LBS nearby that I know of/can find. I will try to take my fiance with me.

How can I find a bike group nearby? We usually ride together, but sometimes one of us can't ride for one reason or another..
    Last edited by Palomino bet; 05-18-2015 at 06:54 PM.

Be careful of Meet Up rides. Around here, they have the tendancy to be poorly organized and unsafe. We had a few of our club rides posted on Meet Up a couple of years ago and it was a nightmare. People with broken bikes and no group riding skills.
    Ask around at LBS's for local rides, women's rides, etc. Or get on line and do a search for local bike clubs and their schedules of rides. Just be careful of what kind of ride you go to... some bike clubs are very racing oriented, others are more social. Some say "no drop," but don't really mean it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Be careful of Meet Up rides. Around here, they have the tendancy to be poorly organized and unsafe. We had a few of our club rides posted on Meet Up a couple of years ago and it was a nightmare. People with broken bikes and no group riding skills.
    Ask around at LBS's for local rides, women's rides, etc. Or get on line and do a search for local bike clubs and their schedules of rides. Just be careful of what kind of ride you go to... some bike clubs are very racing oriented, others are more social. Some say "no drop," but don't really mean it.
    Well I don't have any group riding skills either. What do I need to do to learn?

Quote Originally Posted by Palomino bet View Post
    Well I don't have any group riding skills either. What do I need to do to learn?
    I've taken both online and group classes from these guys
    http://bikeleague.org/content/take-class
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I've taken both online and group classes from these guys
    http://bikeleague.org/content/take-class
    How do you take the online ones? I wound up joining the league.

Saw the bike today. It looks like it's in decent condition. Some paint chips here and there. Both wheels seem a little out of true. The seat and pedals aren't original. He's firm on 850. I guess it's probably worth it but I'm a little hesitant as I'll wind up spending more after I buy it to fix things and get it the way I want it

It sounds like you could probably do better. There are plenty of used Rubys and Dolces out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fern View Post
    It sounds like you could probably do better. There are plenty of used Rubys and Dolces out there.
    Thanks. I'll keep looking. I feel like I would have given $750 with no more questions asked.

And now to await a used Dolce or Ruby (preferably a Ruby) to show up on Craigslist..

Thanks. Any suggestions other than lbs, ebay or craigslist in order to find what I'm looking for?

What area do you live in? It seems there are always several of each model in the Boston area CL listings.

BTW, I have a 2009 Dolce Elite and am 5'6" as well. The 54 is perfect for me. If those are your target models, that should be your ideal size.

Quote Originally Posted by Fern View Post
    What area do you live in? It seems there are always several of each model in the Boston area CL listings.

BTW, I have a 2009 Dolce Elite and am 5'6" as well. The 54 is perfect for me. If those are your target models, that should be your ideal size.
    I'm in the Philly area. I definitely prefer the 54 size.. it fits great. I found one listed in NYC but that is a bit far even.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    What do you want to spend?

http://www.localbiketrader.com/ is another resource.

You might also call the local bike shops and see if they have any Ruby's or Dolce's on consignment. Maybe put your name on a list in case any come in. (Though most shops, IME, aren't good at follow-through!).

A lot of shops take trade-ins. That way, you could ensure the bike is in good condition, too.

Also, you might wait a couple of weeks, and make a new offer for the Specialized you looked at. Prices drop if bikes are not sold.

Craigslist bikes change frequently, and the good ones go fast, check often.
    Thanks! I'll try calling lbs. What I spend honestly depends on the condition and how much it needs to be ridable. Probably no more than 1000.

It's a good suggestion. I tried a fuji which felt horrible and then a trek which was OK. But the dolce felt great and when I tried the ruby.. I think I fell in love. I especially love the 105 shifting.

I'll think about trying the Cannondale. The ruby in nyc has low miles, original owner and at my budget level... Yes, I think I've been bit by the Ruby bug.