Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruby and dolce

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Fern View Post
    What area do you live in? It seems there are always several of each model in the Boston area CL listings.

BTW, I have a 2009 Dolce Elite and am 5'6" as well. The 54 is perfect for me. If those are your target models, that should be your ideal size.
    I'm in the Philly area. I definitely prefer the 54 size.. it fits great. I found one listed in NYC but that is a bit far even.

What do you want to spend?

http://www.localbiketrader.com/ is another resource.

You might also call the local bike shops and see if they have any Ruby's or Dolce's on consignment. Maybe put your name on a list in case any come in. (Though most shops, IME, aren't good at follow-through!).

A lot of shops take trade-ins. That way, you could ensure the bike is in good condition, too.

Also, you might wait a couple of weeks, and make a new offer for the Specialized you looked at. Prices drop if bikes are not sold.

Craigslist bikes change frequently, and the good ones go fast, check often.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 05-21-2015 at 04:38 AM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    What do you want to spend?

http://www.localbiketrader.com/ is another resource.

You might also call the local bike shops and see if they have any Ruby's or Dolce's on consignment. Maybe put your name on a list in case any come in. (Though most shops, IME, aren't good at follow-through!).

A lot of shops take trade-ins. That way, you could ensure the bike is in good condition, too.

Also, you might wait a couple of weeks, and make a new offer for the Specialized you looked at. Prices drop if bikes are not sold.

Craigslist bikes change frequently, and the good ones go fast, check often.
    Thanks! I'll try calling lbs. What I spend honestly depends on the condition and how much it needs to be ridable. Probably no more than 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Palomino bet View Post
    Thanks! I'll try calling lbs. What I spend honestly depends on the condition and how much it needs to be ridable. Probably no more than 1000.
    Have you considered getting an inexpensive, new entry-level bike if you can't find something suitable? That way it would probably come with a fitting, and all the mechanicals complete.

A men's Cannondale CAAD8 would have similar actual geometry, a size 54 would probably fit. (Not to be confused with a mens CAAD10, which is not really a beginner bike. The womens CAAD10 would work in a slightly different size, but they start at a higher price point). The Tiagra group is 1250.00 http://www.cannondale.com/nam_en/201...caad8-6-tiagra, the Sora group is $980.00, and the Claris even less.

There are a lot of great bikes available new for what you want to pay.

Not that there is anything wrong with buying used, but inexpensive entry-level bikes exist for a reason. And CAAD's retain their value, that size would be easy to sell. Especially in a men's model (I've sold several bikes in the last few years, always sell fast and get the price I want, it's a size that fits a lot of men and women, which is why I can ride unisex and womens bikes; right in the middle of the two types).

Anyway, just a thought. There are a lot of great bikes out there, and it can be hard to find a great deal used unless you aren't looking for something in particular. In that case, the deals turn up everywhere!
    Last edited by Muirenn; 05-21-2015 at 10:16 AM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

It's a good suggestion. I tried a fuji which felt horrible and then a trek which was OK. But the dolce felt great and when I tried the ruby.. I think I fell in love. I especially love the 105 shifting.

I'll think about trying the Cannondale. The ruby in nyc has low miles, original owner and at my budget level... Yes, I think I've been bit by the Ruby bug.

So.... I found a Ruby Apex Compact (2012) essentially new, barely used at all... and got a great deal on it!
    2015 Specialized Vita Elite
    2012 Specialized Ruby Apex Compact

Great!! Have fun with it!!

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

So glad for you!!

Pictures, or it didn't happen!

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    So glad for you!!

Pictures, or it didn't happen!
    This!☺
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rubyapexcompact.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	17630

Just one for tonight... so tired! Thank you all for your help with my dilemma. I love her so much

Nice bike! Ride with joy.

Very nice!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by Palomino bet View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rubyapexcompact.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	17630

Just one for tonight... so tired! Thank you all for your help with my dilemma. I love her so much
    Great find!

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

So I did a 36 mile charity type ride today on my Vita Elite for the first time ever! I really, really enjoyed it! It was the Tour de Cure for diabetes. I actually want to find more of those types of rides to do.

And then... I took little Ruby out for a short 12 mile ride this evening... she is pretty darn nice, and I actually really enjoy the SRAM Apex shifters. I mean I really like them, they are so much easier for me to reach when in the drops than it was with the Shimano shifters I tried. She's just plain fun. I am not sure that I will take her out by myself... would almost prefer that my fiance is with me when I take her out, because I'm still a little nervous. But oh, how nice it was that literally, I shift my weight and she turns so easily. It's like riding a really well trained horse - without the inevitable buck of joy! Not sure how I feel about clipping in at this point... I'll probably just stay with flat pedals for now and consider it down the road.

I really need to get her to a LBS to have them check her over just to be safe. I would kill to ride her again tomorrow, but I have an all day commitment Sadness!

Thanks for reading!

Congratulations on having the patience to wait and find "The One". May you have many safe and enjoyable miles together over the years.

1990 Univega Alpina/(stock) gel saddle
    2009 Specialized Dolce Elite/BG Lithia saddle
    2009 Jamis Coda Sport/Selle Royale Respiro saddle
    2010 Jamis Aurora/Jamis Touring Sport saddle