Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Going to need gall bladder surgery

To disable ads, please log-in.

A couple of weeks ago I went to the doctor for shortness of breath that came out of nowhere (I'm 47, pretty good health, no asthma or other breathing problems) I was told to just "wait and see, come back if it gets worse." A few days later my doctor's office calls to follow up with me and I said that the breathing was better but I was having this pain below my esophagus and the top of my stomach that felt like a rock. I hadn't even planned on calling my doctor for this but the nurse said "I'll see what she wants to do." When she called back she told me I needed an ultrasound to rule out gallstones. I was quite surprised The nurse finally called me back and said "I hope you have some time, bc you have a big old stone and your gallbladder needs to come out!" I was not a happy camper My biggest surgery to date has been a tubal ligation so I'm a little nervous about it. I work in healthcare so I know a laparoscopic procedure is a relatively simple thing. (All surgery is "simple" until you're the one having it, right?) I had signed up to do a 25 mile ride with the Maine Bike Coalition on June 7th but my surgery is scheduled for June 3rd. I'm very bummed about that. My surgeon says to stay off the bike for a "couple of weeks." Anyone else out there have this surgery and how long were you off the bike? Oh, and in the mean time the shortness of breath came back with a vengeance - I have bronchitis!

I've had that surgery, but it was before I started riding. Recovery was pretty quick, but I was off with a couple weeks.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Aw, Dragonfly, sorry you're going through that.

I don't have any personal advice, but my massage therapist had her gall bladder out laparoscopically last year and she was off work for four weeks. There's cycling and there's cycling though - so if you're in an upright riding position, staying off hills and taking it easy, you won't be using your abdominal muscles or twisting at the waist near as much as someone doing massages all day.

I hate to say it, but I'd be cautious about believing the surgeon about anything like that. We know what Pax's surgeon told her about her knee replacement - a few years ago when I had a minor surgical procedure, my surgeon told me "a couple of days" and luckily for me, her nurse was behind her back vigorously shaking her head! I took two weeks off teaching aerobics and it was a good thing I did, because I would've been in a lot of pain after even ten days, and pulling stitches out after "a couple" for sure.

Maybe ask the surgeon's nurse?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I just saw this,.wishing you all the best!

Good luck!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly5 View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I went to the doctor for shortness of breath that came out of nowhere (I'm 47, pretty good health, no asthma or other breathing problems) I was told to just "wait and see, come back if it gets worse." A few days later my doctor's office calls to follow up with me and I said that the breathing was better but I was having this pain below my esophagus and the top of my stomach that felt like a rock. I hadn't even planned on calling my doctor for this but the nurse said "I'll see what she wants to do." When she called back she told me I needed an ultrasound to rule out gallstones. I was quite surprised The nurse finally called me back and said "I hope you have some time, bc you have a big old stone and your gallbladder needs to come out!" I was not a happy camper My biggest surgery to date has been a tubal ligation so I'm a little nervous about it. I work in healthcare so I know a laparoscopic procedure is a relatively simple thing. (All surgery is "simple" until you're the one having it, right?) I had signed up to do a 25 mile ride with the Maine Bike Coalition on June 7th but my surgery is scheduled for June 3rd. I'm very bummed about that. My surgeon says to stay off the bike for a "couple of weeks." Anyone else out there have this surgery and how long were you off the bike? Oh, and in the mean time the shortness of breath came back with a vengeance - I have bronchitis!
    I had the surgery on Nov. 13th and was off the bike for 6 weeks. Laparoscopic proceedure with no real complications. I took a ride when my surgeon released me at 4 weeks (not a good idea) and decided 6 would be better for really easy rides. It was a full 6-8 weeks before I was mountain biking in January with no real problems. One thing I had issues with was wearing my Garmin heart rate monitor because of the sensitivity of the top scar. Just take it easy anything less than 4 -6 weeks wasn't recommended due to the possibility of having a hernia form from the cut in the abdominal wall. For longer, tougher, or hilly rides I would be betting on a full 8 weeks or so. Just don't start too early doing tough stuff.

They found my 2 very large stones after I had a CT for my kidneys no kidney stones but they found the gall stones. I am back to completely normal now. Oh and take the pain meds about three days longer than you feel you need them.....I didn't and wish I had. Good luck.
    Last edited by lgibster; 05-20-2015 at 10:46 AM.
    You don't have to be the fastest to go the distance.

2013 Specialized Ruby Elite Compact Apex
    2013 Giant Avail

Eeek! I live in Maine. If I'm off the bike for 6-8 weeks my whole summer is gone! I'm a road cyclist so I'm hoping that makes a difference (not quite as physical as mountain biking.) I guess I'm just going to have to wait and see how I feel.

Good luck with the surgery!! And I hope the bronchitis has cleared up!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles