Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...

Rivet vs. Selle An-Atomica--how much difference?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I currently have a Selle An-Atomica on my Surly LHT but am about ready to try something else...I have been playing around with the tilt etc. but just have not been able to get entirely comfortable with that cutout. Sit-bone wise it is great, but the shape of the cutout causes some soft tissue discomfort after a while and got particularly bad on my 40-mile ride this past Saturday (me being kind of wiped out by the end of that ride didn't help, I'm sure). I also have had a couple of rides where the edges of the saddle flared out and caused some discomfort, but that seemed to go away after backing the tension bolt out a little. I seem to remember someone on here recommending Rivet saddles but am not sure if their cutout would be any better or if I might be better off trying a saddle without any cutout (but it seems like things would get squished if you KWIM). Anyone who has tried both care to chime in?
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I used Selle Anatomicas for a while and found the same ever-shifting tension-of-saddle-material problem. I have also tried a Rivet, which my rando husband loves. They are super hard but very chafe-free (I'm sure there's something wrong with that spelling but you know what I mean). Too hard for me, though. My best solution, just fyi, has been a Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow. And for me, it's always about reducing soft tissue discomfort. Will be interested to hear from other Rivet users.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I have both and find they are as ok as saddles get for an upright bike. The Selle is great for a while, but starts to flare out and cause chafing. The Rivet doesn't cause the chafing, but the hardness is a little too much (for me) for anything over 50 miles. The recumbent bike has been my best solution. As for the cutout, I think it is actually a little better on the Rivet; the soft bits don't "extrude" through the slot quite as much as with the Selle.
    Last edited by lauraelmore1033; 05-01-2015 at 09:24 PM.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by lauraelmore1033 View Post
    As for the cutout, I think it is actually a little better on the Rivet; the soft bits don't "extrude" through the slot quite as much as with the Selle.
    That is good to know...what you describe is exactly the problem I am having with the Selle An-Atomica cutout. Not comfy!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

My life has been insane so apologize for coming to this conversation late.
    I have a Rivet Independence on my touring, go everywhere bike. I have a Rivet Pearl on my Surly ECR. Both work very well for me.
    The design of the saddle is such that they will never flare and the cut out stays true to it's shape. On rare occasions I have had a little irritation but I think
    it had more to do with what I was wearing over the saddle itself. Rivet also has a no cut out saddle, we have one in the shop but I haven't ridden it yet.
    Personally, I love the stiffness and obviously don't find them uncomfortable. The independence seems narrower in the nose and is 160 instead of the 170 of the pearl.
    I can ride all day, multi days without discomfort. AND Deb Banks is awesome to work with too
    Most of us offer a six month return on leather saddles
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Rivet's owner is one of my best rando friends. It's a great saddle. I can't say I have compared to an anatomica, but I appreciate Sky King's thoughtful notes on the details of it. Just wanted to plug for Deb (who's presently recovering from a horrible bike accident - hit by underage loser DUI.)
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Yep, Chris is also a huge Deb Banks fan, both in the business and the rando arenas. And she did a tandem ride in her boot last week! I saw the pictures. Indomitable.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

This is an interesting thread. Over the last six months the Selle Anatomica has changed my cycling more than anything in the last 35 years.
    First, I'm a guy. Over the years I've probably tried at least a dozen saddles and have at least ten hanging on the wall in my garage. Six months ago I bit the bullet and tried an SA because they were on sale for $100. They are heavy, not particularly good looking and look a tad out of place on my Look 585. But WOW is it comfortable. I can ride as long and as far as I want and I never even think about my butt, where as in the past saddle pain was always a concern.

Interestingly, it seems that most people who have problems with them tend to be women. It sounds like the cutout is indeed an issue for some ladies and not much of an issue with the guys. The only other thing I'll mention is the nose of the saddle. It is recommended that you ride it with the nose tilted up a bit higher than most of us do with other saddles. It looks a tad dorky and uncomfortable, but it pushes you back on the flat part of the saddle and helps you keep from riding in the middle part...which really is essential. Most of us find that it does take a bit of adjusting over several rides and it really helps if your seat post allows you to make micro-adjustments...like my Thomson post.

The flaring of the sides has happened a bit, but for me hasn't become an issue. But frankly, I don't have large quads or thighs and I think that may be why. I have heard that if the flaring is a big issue that SA will lace it for you if you send it back. Not sure, but that's what I've heard.

Just my .02 but honestly, nothing has made such a positive impact on my riding as this saddle has. It is SOO comfortable.

I suppose I should update this thread myself...I ended up deciding to go with a Brooks Cambium C17, with the cutout. Just got back from a 4-day tour that included a couple of 45-mile days (I know that doesn't sound like much, but this was my first tour and I was carrying all my gear) and no issues other than sore sit bones since that saddle is firmer than the Anatomica was...I think this one is a keeper. It appears that I will even be able to ride it without padded shorts, which is great. It is a lot more T-shaped than the Anatomica and that made a big difference for me in addition to the cutout being shaped better.
    Last edited by Jolt; 05-17-2015 at 05:36 PM.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

What I loved was when she had a cleat affixed to one of her clogs so she could pedal on the trainer.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I don't think it is quite as much of an issue as a regular Brooks, it doesn't look like the metal plate extends as far forward (but I could be mistaken, have never tried a regular Brooks but just looked up some photos of the underside). And, the saddle is pretty firm.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Well, here is a photo of the C17 and B17 undersides side by side for comparison: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QPSkOPjP2X...0/IMG_0247.jpg. Decided this was better than uploading the craptastic picture I took...
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Me too
    Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    What I loved was when she had a cleat affixed to one of her clogs so she could pedal on the trainer.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com