Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Running Around the May Pole!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Who's running?

I'm going through my usual thing ... as much as I want to carry my marathon fitness forward into the summer, as usual I'm late getting my garden in, and that's taking most of my physical energy this week. Got out today for a quick five miles, first run since Wednesday. We had a brutal heat wave earlier this week too, which didn't help my desire to run - storm's about to blow through and take it down to some more seasonable temperatures.

As usual, as soon as I find a shoe I can wear, they discontinue them. I've tried on the replacement, and while there's a lot that seems improved, they're for someone with way higher volume feet than mine - they won't even close around my ankles and insteps. This time it wasn't too late, so I ordered FOUR pairs of the old version from retailers that still had them in stock. These aren't as durable as some shoes I've owned, but they should last me into next year anyway.

Your turn!!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

It has gotten hot here too, sigh,....

So take tomorrow for example. I planned a run and the afternoon temps are supposed to be around 88 degrees with humidity to match, and pollen that is falling like snow.

OR.... my other choice is to get up at 4:15 to run before work in the dark and face a possible run in with the neighborhood skunk ( that skunked our house last week), the coyote I saw in my yard last weekend or my neighbor's dog that is vicious and the size of a pony. Sigh....

Sigh....I think I will do a workout on the trainer instead and hope that Wed or Thurs are a bit cooler after work. Sigh....

Not been posting for a while, but checking in. Also was biking more lately as just completed a MS Bike ride 2 weekends ago.
    Yup it's HOT Florida summer running already. We had our last "cool" front last week. Today I am off and planning a 4 mile run. It's hot not matter what time of the AM I get out there. So for a 4 mile run I froze my fuel belt flasks and will run with hydration. And accept the fact that I'll be slogging at slower pace than even my normal slow pace! That's how it goes with FL summer running. Looking forward to a 1/2 marathon in CT in a couple weeks. I'm sure it will be much cooler.

K
    katluvr

Yep, bringing ice water is smart. Be safe out there. Good luck on your half and hope the weather is nice and cool for you!

I did get out and run on Tuesday when it was a million degrees. It was moderately unpleasant I got done at 4 pm and I had to be at a school function at 5:30 and I could not stop sweating. Yuk.

Thursday was MUCH nicer, cool, super low humidity. I snuck in a 4 miler before my 5pm yoga class.

I am trying to regain some consistent running after my surgery last fall and a hellish winter.

I've been in NC visiting my mom and step-dad since the beginning of the month and have managed to run 5Ks on the rolling roads around their home a couple of times a week. DH and I also spent five days up at their mountain retreat, and I ran on the rolling gravel road there twice about the same distance. That is such a beautiful, peaceful setting, running alongside the river, and NO cars....ahhhhh!

It's been much cooler than Mexico (in the 60s most mornings, and one of my mountain runs was in the upper 50s) but humid most mornings. No matter what the temperature, I still break a sweat early and am dripping when I finish. But it's still more pleasant to run when it's in the 60s than upper 70s-80s! Getting used to the hills again has been a challenge, after running in flat Playa del Carmen. My speed is slower, naturally, but not as much as I would have expected.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Running and more running. Just did a 50k! I walked a portion of it (along with many others -- 7100 feet of elevation gain!). I went out the next weekend and did a 5k. That seemed like nothing.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Wow TrekDianna, congratulations! 7100 feet in a 50K, holy moley

Emily, sounds beautiful.

RnR, good job getting out there in the heat - stay safe!

I'm struggling to get back into a routine too - the transition is always hard on me with no yoga studio, having to drive everywhere, getting the garden in, and a whole different set of things that need to get done throughout the week, and coming off a spring marathon always complicates it. Got out yesterday for not-quite nine miles, it was super humid, so it felt good when it started raining in the last three miles.

There's a 10K in three weeks I'm thinking about doing - it's farther away than I usually like to drive for anything shorter than a HM, and I'm not even remotely in 10K shape, but I'm thinking it would help get me back to thinking about running more consistently. Maybe I'll just see if I can find a gym nearby where I could get a day pass to take a shower - I hate to spend $20 just for a shower, but if I could spend the rest of the day in town it would make me a lot more inclined to drive all that way for the race - we'll see.