Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

(Hit send by accident. Oops.)

As far as a new bike, I aspire to distance, not speed. There are some nice bike trails near us here in SE Michigan, and a good number across the state as well. Most are asphalt but there's some mileage in packed dirt as well. I'm thinking of a hybrid, a maybe closer to the road bike end of that spectrum. (Michigan roads are universally awful, especially after winter, so skinnier road tires might not be that great an idea.)

Later today I'm taking my husband's Schwinn Hornet to the LBS for the same treatment they gave my Hollywood. While he's as much of a bike noobie as I am, he's been talking about replacing his old newsboy Typhoon for a few years now -- it was through his searching for the Typhoon that we found my bike at Shop Goodwill. So he got the Hornet for $6, we'll spend $150 to get it up to code, and hopefully he'll join me on the road to utopia.

Ann-Marie…A Hornet and a Hollywood makes you two a pure styling couple!! Hoping the two of you enjoy the time riding together…it can make for an enjoyable days exercise and communication. If you end up liking the more upright riding position of the Hollywood you’ll like some of the hybrids/urban/commuting flat bar bikes available.

I remembered today on my ride that I got blue glitter original grips for a older Schwinn off ebay a couple of years ago. If you want original you may want to search ‘vintage bike parts’ on ebay for Hollywood grips (7/8 inch) to see if any are still available at the moment or come up soon.

Muirenn….the Brooks B66 has a 7/8 clamp and the Hollywood has a seatpost with a 5/8 top, so Ann-Marie would still need a new seatpost. That is a good saddle for more upright riding though.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Stylin'? Oh mercy, what have we done? Now I suppose I'll have to get a porkpie hat or a stingy brim for Wiggy (the husband in question) and somehow attach it to his helmet. Me personally, I'd like a big rose-covered bridge club lady hat, and I'll stick that to my helmet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridge_club_lady_hat.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	17615

And cat-eye glasses to go with. Go big or go home, I say.
    Last edited by ZoneFive; 05-10-2015 at 07:09 AM.

‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to

I did some comparison shopping while I was out and about yesterday. I didn't see any pure-cork grips but there were a few with cork insets, and I liked the feel of them. I was hoping to take a look at a Brooks saddle, but I didn't see any of those, either. I did get a bicycle bell (I HATE it when cyclists sneak up behind me while I'm walking the dogs, and I don't want to do that to anyone else) and picked up the most recent Bicycling magazine. And then I came home and ordered plain cork grips from Amazon.

Rebecca: I did check eBay and found some fun-looking Schwinn grips -- blue glitter, with actual streamers! My inner five-year-old is all agog. Thanks very much for your notes on what I'll need to change if I go with a Brooks saddle in time, too.

Sheila, what can you tell me about Surly bikes? I've checked out their website, and apart from not really understanding a lot of their bike lingo, the first thing that comes to mind is hardcore. What do you love about your Krampus?
    Last edited by ZoneFive; 05-10-2015 at 04:48 PM.

Just remember, the size of your posterior has nothing to do with the size of the right saddle. This is a common misperception. It's the width of your sit bones. A huge, wide, cushy saddle can be extremely painful and cause chafing. So, those saddles you see that look scary may be quite awesome! The trick is, to find the right one; sometimes it takes a long time. I tried the Brooks route and could never get used to it. After 6 months, I gave it up.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

That's really good information on the 6-month return policy at BTN and Wallingford, thank you! Hopefully my local shops will let me try saddles in their test-ride locations, but if I can't find a comparable policy locally, I'll shop at one of the two online.

We have quite a lot of spray shellac in the garage from Wiggy's various restoration projects, so I'm prepared for their shellacing requirements on the grips.

I'd thought that cyclocross bicycles were only for cyclocross racing. Am I right in seeing cyclocrosses on the continuum between MTBs and road bikes, with hybrids mostly in the middle range and cyclocrosses more towards the MTB end? I'm not yet sold on drop handlebars for me and I think I prefer flat or with a bit of a rise. I looked at the Straggler and Cross Check, and also at some other cyclocrosses from Liv/Giant, Cannondale, Trek and Specialized -- and I like what they all say they can do. I'll be trying out a lot of bikes between now and whatever time I decide to add to the stable!

I'll be reading through the rest of your post slowly, to try and really understand the part about brakes. I have a lot to learn!

(But, I have 5 bikes, and really do need to stop).
    Now this, I do understand! I weave, spin and knit. Fiberistas tend to accumulate a LOT of yarn/roving/tools. Once it gets to a certain point we refer to it as SABLE: Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy. What do you call it when bicycle acquisition reaches new-garage proportions?

Oh, and I should note that today's ride was 2.5 miles, yay me. I'm stretching it about a half a mile more each day.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoneFive View Post

Rebecca: I did check eBay and found some fun-looking Schwinn grips -- blue glitter, with actual streamers!
    and they're attached to a '66 blue stingray

That flat-bar CX discussion was very interesting. Looks like I'll need to be a bit more open-minded when I go test-drive bikes. There have been some good YouTube videos about CX bikes -- Vincent KWC seems to love the Giant Anyroad 1, and he was talking about disc brakes too, and with pictures. While it's a bit beyond what I'd like to spend (I'd like to stay in 3 figures the first time out), Giant's Liv Rove 2 looks very good and is a member of the same family, too. They all look good, but it's all about the ride and I want some more experience before I even start test-riding. There are only a couple of Surly dealers anywhere near me, so that just means a road trip, right? And I'm 5'7", by the way.

I'm going to pass on those sparkly blue handgrips on eBay. While I'm just tickled at the idea of streamers, probably plain white or blue pistol grips would be a little more appropriate, just in the matter of looks. The cork grips, for comfort and functionality, should arrive in a day or two, and I'll work on getting the old ones off and the new ones on.

Didn't get to ride today; light rain off and on all day. I have a long work day tomorrow, so hopefully Thursday will work better.
    Last edited by ZoneFive; 05-12-2015 at 08:22 PM.

Squeeeeeee! What a nice bike!
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Thanks! It's fun to ride and a good way to get into riding regularly, too!

I'm looking forward to my ride today. It's sunny for the first time in a few days, and it'll probably be in the 60's when I get outside. Good day for a ride!

I'm also setting a challenge for myself. The Paint Creek Crawl is coming up on June 6. The round-trip is 20 miles, and I'm going to aim for that. 20 miles may be beyond me right now, but I'll keep upping my mileage on the trail near me and see how far I can get by early June. Then I'll ride half that distance on Crawl day, and come back to the start. I want something specific to train for. (I also want the tee shirt, but that's beside the point. )

I'm looking forward to my ride today. It's sunny for the first time in a few days, and it'll probably be in the 60's when I get outside. Good day for a ride!

I'm also setting a challenge for myself. The Paint Creek Crawl is coming up on June 6. The round-trip is 20 miles, and I'm going to aim for that. 20 miles may be beyond me right now, but I'll keep upping my mileage on the trail near me and see how far I can get by early June. Then I'll ride half that distance on Crawl day, and come back to the start. I want something specific to train for. (I also want the tee shirt, but that's beside the point. )
    The tee shirt is never beside the point!!!!

Sounds like a good goal. Good luck and have fun!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I got a good ride. 5.41 miles, 31:39 minutes, 10.41 mph average speed. (I do love RunKeeper. I feel so . . . official or something.) I do think that a new saddle is probably going to be a good idea.

As I was getting ready to leave, the mail was delivered. Wiggy had ordered us each a Road ID, and they arrived today. He chose a dogtag (the Fixx ID) with the USMC Eagle, Globe and Anchor on the back, and he got me a bright yellow wristband ID. He's a bit of a worrier and usually I tease him about it, but I'm kinda glad he got these.

I got a good ride. 5.41 miles, 31:39 minutes, 10.41 mph average speed. (I do love RunKeeper. I feel so . . . official or something.) I do think that a new saddle is probably going to be a good idea.

As I was getting ready to leave, the mail was delivered. Wiggy had ordered us each a Road ID, and they arrived today. He chose a dogtag (the Fixx ID) with the USMC Eagle, Globe and Anchor on the back, and he got me a bright yellow wristband ID. He's a bit of a worrier and usually I tease him about it, but I'm kinda glad he got these.

Semper Fi.

I have two RoadIDs -- one for cycling and one for walking to the gym and around my 'hood.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles