Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Returning to Riding need Support/Riding buddies?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello,

I have read a few of the posts here about getting back into riding, but I still have a couple of questions. Three years ago I moved overseas and left my bike in Oregon. At that time I could comfortably ride 30-40miles and could do longer rides with food stops. My average speed was 13-14mph, if I remember correctly. I miss cycling so much and have replaced it with running (which I don't like nearly as much) while overseas. However, in three short weeks I will be returning to Oregon and will be able to pick up cycling again. I've been told that the best thing to do is to ride everyday. But I'm worried because I have always had problems with sore sit-bones (and just general rear-end pain).

I will be in Eugene, Oregon at first (still looking for a job) and so I have access to pretty good cycling trails. My questions are:
    1) is there a "minutes or miles" per day goal to help me get my cycling body back?
    2) suggestions for dealing with sit-bone pain, or how to ease into it?
    3) are there any Eugene groups for "newbies". Essentially I'm starting from scratch, though physically I am in good shape.

Thank you!

Welcome back!

Re: minutes/miles per day, I think that's up to you. Maybe start with an out-and-back on one of the trails, so it's easy to turn around and shorten the ride if you feel like you need to. Gradually increase your rides based on how you feel.

What kind of running have you been doing? Maybe that could be your guide to where to re-start with cycling -- e.g., if you can run for 20 minutes, then try cycling for 20 minutes.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Thanks for the information, both of you.

Just about 8 months before I moved overseas I bought a fizik saddle that seemed to really help with some of my saddle soreness, but it wasn't totally gone on long rides. My riding friends reckon I need better shorts...that is something I will be investing in (so suggestions are welcome).

Do you think I should be re-fitted before I ride at all or after riding a bit so I know if there are problems?

As for running, I can comfortably "jog" for about 6km (about 45min) without stopping (though here we are at a high elevation, it is wicked hot and there at too many hills). So I suspect I would be able to run better in "nicer" conditions. Or, well, I hope. Part of why I stop running (when out on a run) is from boredom, something I never experienced on the bike.

Thanks, any other tips are welcome!

Thanks!! Good to know. I need to find a job first, before I can pay for a fitting. :-)

I am a teacher, high school social studies and English as a Second Language is what I have experience and licensure in. :-)

Right now I am in Costa Rica, teaching History and "Thought". For the two years prior I was in the United Arab Emirates teaching English through Social Studies. Nope don't mind at all. If you are interested I have a blog where I've been documenting my life overseas: andreainuae.wordpress.com

Hmmm. Well it is very Western there. Living in a new country has lots of challenges (CR is the third non-US country I have lived in) but, the UAE wasn't as difficult as you would think. If I were not white and obviously "Western" I would have had more problems for sure. But overall I wasn't affected much by the Islamic culture (in a negative way). There are many other difficult issues that had nothing to do with Islam. I think preparation was key, I knew about the rules well before I arrived so I was prepared and excited to experience a new culture. The hardest part was having to walk from the car to the shop in 120 degree weather in long sleeves and jeans!

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by andirae13 View Post
    Hmmm. Well it is very Western there. Living in a new country has lots of challenges (CR is the third non-US country I have lived in) but, the UAE wasn't as difficult as you would think. If I were not white and obviously "Western" I would have had more problems for sure. But overall I wasn't affected much by the Islamic culture (in a negative way). There are many other difficult issues that had nothing to do with Islam. I think preparation was key, I knew about the rules well before I arrived so I was prepared and excited to experience a new culture. The hardest part was having to walk from the car to the shop in 120 degree weather in long sleeves and jeans!
    I knew a woman worked in Dubai for a few months ...50 degree C weather. She came from the Philippines and has engineering college education.
    Sorry to say but some of the Middle Eastern countries have a lot to clean-up how they do treat some of their temporary (construction) labourers which includes their nannies from abroad.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 05-07-2015 at 03:51 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    I knew a woman worked in Dubai for a few months ...50 degree C weather. She came from the Philippines and has engineering college education.
    Sorry to say but some of the Middle Eastern countries have a lot to clean-up how they do treat some of their temporary (construction) labourers which includes their nannies from abroad.
    You are not wrong at all. The Human Rights issues are atrocious. You'll notice that I no longer live there (primarily for this reason) and that I was clear to say that as a "white American" my life was easier than others. The realities of the country go far beyond what I think is appropriate conversation for a cycling forum and my own abilities, as I can only speculate or tell stories "I've heard". It is an interesting place to live, you'd never see the real UAE in a visit, but not somewhere that I could feel comfortable for longer than my work contract, and not somewhere I really have much desire to return to.