Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

newbie on the block

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey everyone, I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm not a probiker by any means, looking to get more serious. Was thinking about taking a big to into europe this summer and blog about my experiences. If anyone has done europe before by bike I'd like to know your experiences, how far you got and how much training you had to do. Cheers!

also if anyone knows any good bike blogs or has done one themselves i'd like to read it.

Hey! Well that's the thing.. I ride a vintage peugot px-10. I'm wondering if I should get something else for a longer journey, definitely going bike packing though! I want to travel as light as possible! Just me, a friend or two, some clothes and my iPad for blogging.

Yes! I have something by Revelate! It's just a bag that runs along the bar. My ex gave it to me it's awesome, it's not massive but I suppose a little extra space always helps. I've also got something that attaches under the seat too. I've also got a backpack by hyperlite which I'm thinking of bringing, it is so light. Yeah that looks much more like the type of bike I need to be using - those tyres! My budget for a bike.. If I got a new one I'd sell mine. That's probably 350 euros. I could go up to 600 for a new bike. I know it's not much compared to some but.. I'm poor! Haha. I'm a Canadian working in Europe. Also I wanted to see blogs becuase I want to do like a live blog / vlog sort of thing, I'm only taking my iPad though - camera is amazing! What's good for live blogging? I've heard wordpress is good, but my friend had a live blog and she was with these guys - but it's not free hosting and I'd prefer not to pay (poor! lol). Not a techie girl AT ALL.

The px 10 is a legendary bike. I'd keep it even if i got something else for touring. Are there better bikes to tour Europe on….sure….but I’ve used a similar Rene Herse with a big canvas handlebar bag for lots of riding throughout France over the years since I was a teen and enjoyed the adventures. Hoping you have a great trip!!!!!....and let us know about your blog before you leave!!!!....wordpress is a good choice too, you can also embed vimeo or youtube videos to it and save the bandwidth of uploading directly to wordpress.

Anne Mustoe wrote some wonderful books about her riding adventures. “A Bike Ride” and “Lone Traveller” are my favorites.

The Women on Wheels site has some inspiring moments of world bike journeys by women.

Crazyguyonabike has some good journals and a women’s section
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 05-07-2015 at 07:52 AM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Oh this is great thanks so much guys! Yes! I know Anne Mustoe - very good. I've not heard of women on wheels nor crazyguyonabike but that seems like exactly what I'm looking for I'll check it out asap!

With regards to the bike.. I know.. my budget is just so small! But I love love love the Kona Dew Plus - I've got a friend who's really into this stuff and he'll know what to do, I've sent him a link. Be a real change from my current ride, but it's good to shake things up