Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May Rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

I think it's the fact that riding in the heat makes me feel like I worked really hard and it also makes me lose weight... don't really like it, and I swear it's from all of those years being in a climate controlled environment in AZ and FL, where I never went outside for 4-5 months out of the year, becaue it was just too hot.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

OMGoodness....look at all those beautiful pics. Nothing to ride like this here. Nah...very standard! hihi

Today was our first ever ride (well the 2nd for husband - the 1st he had a bad crash with his club ride 3 weeks ago) of the season. We only did 31.6km but it was hot, sticky, muggy. I am so happy with all the training I did this past winter. I was really fast, stable and had so much fun today. My husband said he hurt the first 30 minutes into the ride but his thigh muscle (where he fell at 34km/h) was ok past that. He's still in physio twice a week (plus daily things to do at home). So overall, it was an excellent ride considering everything.

We also had pretty strong wind and I had no issues with it. Our bikes are such a dream to ride. Stable, fun, fast. Pure joy.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

I feel like I've been cursed with flats this week! Last Saturday, I had a flat en route to Mt. Lemmon. Monday I picked up a nasty thorn and discovered right before I planned to ride to work. Yesterday, another thorn.

But today just half a mile or so from home, I heard a tremendous bang and the clink of metal as I was starting down a hill and felt like I was wrestling with the bike to keep it stable. When I was able to stop, I pulled out this nail: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1423.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	17616

My husband picked me up and I changed the tire. Hopefully, that's the end of it!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    I feel like I've been cursed with flats this week!
    yeah thanks for passing that curse on I read your post last night and had one of those on my commute this morning....and I was blaming YOU for writing about that word

fixing it did give me a few minutes of zen mindfulness while sitting on grass and having the ocean in front of me though so I guess i should THANK YOU

“Be happy in the moment, that's enough. Each moment is all we need, not more.”
    ― Mother Teresa

eta isn't that an area with a lot of thorn's...
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 05-11-2015 at 02:17 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I commuted yesterday... there seems to be an usual amount of traffic and I am not sure why. I commute on the outside edges of rush hour, and while it's not quiet, it doesn't feel crazy. Yesterday did. For the first time ever, another cyclist pulled up to the light with me, as I was waiting to cross Rt. 2, right outside my office.
    One of my clients asked me if "bikes were allowed in the middle of the road?" I gave her a quick recap of the laws, and told her she had asked me some very good questions! I guess she had a run in with a group of 4 cyclists who were spread out across the road and wouldn't move.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Was it the same today, or do you commute every day?

I work 3 days a week and usually commute 2 of them. Sometimes only once. I was ready to ride today, but thunderstorms were predicted for my ride home, so I bagged it. The traffic was not as bad, and I left the office at the same time. I would have been riding in rain that would have been Ok with my rain jacket, but I needed a rest day. Planning to go out for a "dark" early AM ride tomorrow, as I have a workshop scheduled on my day off.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I hope you enjoyed riding today! I used to commute on Fridays since I could leave home at 5:30 am and return home at 1. I wasn't about to ride to downtown Indy during either rush hour I did enjoy riding through several scenic neighborhoods.

How long of a ride do you have?

I had an awesome ride this morning! I left at 4:54 and rode 10 miles. Wanted to do more, but it was a good thing I didn't, since when I got back, I realized it was at a different hotel than the last one (same town) and I had to figure out how to get here, in addition to showering and eating. The cool thing was, I saw 4 other cyclists and hardly any cars.
    My commute is only 5.2 miles. Really nothing, but I do go through the center of town, past a prep school, and cross a highway. Monday was humid and warm enough that when I got there, I had to use all of my hygiene supplies. I have bought a few outfits that I can ride in and wear all day, but I was glad I realized Monday was not a day to do that!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Sounds like a very nice morning's ride, nice!

Well I am still sick, but have finally managed to get back on the bike. I came down with a bad cold 3 weeks ago, and it triggered asthma symptoms from the very beginning so I knew I'd have to manage things to prevent it from turning into a serious lung problem. So I took it easy, with very little activity for more than two weeks. I went for a walk a few times to gauge my recovery, but even when I felt good while I was out walking I had problems with congestion and coughing afterwards. I suppose the high tree pollen levels contributed to the problem.

At any rate, by last Monday I was mostly better except for a hair-trigger coughing reflex (merely drinking water was enough to get me going) and a mild sore throat that caused my voice to be hoarse. I planned to go for a ride on Wednesday evening. Then it rained on Wednesday so I rescheduled for Friday. I think the two-day delay actually helped, because the laryngitis continued through the week and in fact has still not gone away. Friday's ride went pretty well, all things considered. My pace was a bit slow but I expected that. I also found that the laryngitis affected my breathing -- air has to pass through your larynx to get to your lungs, and when the larynx is inflamed the air passage is smaller. I used my asthma inhaler, and that helped. So overall I was happy to be back out on the bike.

I did have two incidents with idiot drivers on Friday, unfortunately. Virginia has passed a 3-foot passing law and has also passed a law allowing motorists to cross a solid yellow line in order to pass cyclists. However I don't think these laws have been publicized, even in the supposedly bike-friendly area where I was riding. Both incidents were on roads in residential areas with a 25 mph speed limit. Both are narrow with cars parked along the sides so it's legal and safer to take the lane. One of them is marked with sharrows. On that one, the idiot driver drove in the parking lane and passed on my right, way too close to me. On the other one the driver passed on the left but also came way too close. I tried to tell them both what I thought of them but the laryngitis prevented me from being heard.

On Sunday I joined some friends for a club ride. The planned route was 46 miles, which was longer than I wanted to ride given the lingering cold (I think this particular strain is the Rasputin virus). But on Saturday night someone sent out an email saying that he planned to ride a shortened version of the route due to some knee problems, so I decided I would ride with him. Five people came out for the ride, and as it turned out all but the ride leader wanted to do the shorter version. So we came up with a compromise route that was shorter than the leader's planned route but was about 5 miles longer than the originally-planned shortcut. The total distance was 34 miles.

I had more laryngitis-related breathing problems on this ride, and the asthma inhaler didn't help as much this time. But the route was mostly flat and I was able to get through it okay. Toward the end my sit bones were hurting. Who would have thought that I'd be having that problem on the second weekend in May.

So now it's three days later and I STILL have the laryngitis. In fact it was worse on Monday, due to many phone calls and in-person conversations related to getting my car fixed after being involved in a crash several weeks ago. I've been resting my voice yesterday and today, and will go out for a short ride this evening to see how things are.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

We led a 19 mile ride tonight. It's a show and go series, listed as intermediate level (av. 14-16)... 4 guys show up. One can keep up with DH, one has a road bike with 32 tires that are rubbing and doing other bad things, one is his first ride of the year (he's in chinos, t shirt, sneakers, creaky touring bike), and one is Ok, rides about my speed, but is having issues unclipping and falls back on hills. Oh, the fun. We made it back just as the sun was going down, but I was not happy. Two of those guys did not belong on this ride and one should not have come with a broken bike!
    We had planned a GPS route, but the traffic was so bad on the first street when we drove to the start, we bagged it (none of them had GPS) and made it up in the parking lot.
    We are doing 3 more of these this summer, so hope the people self select more properly.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I rode with my friend, Linda, for the first time this season. She's the one I hooked on cycling a few years ago. She's much slower than me, but compared to those guys last night, I'd ride with her any time! She has good skills. Anyway, we started out from her house, near where our group ride started last Saturday, so we set out to do that route. I am exhausted... not used to riding at night (last night) and I could not get to sleep. That, and going to boot camp this morning, working the morning, and riding did me in. I thought going at a slower pace would be OK, and I wasn't dying, but I knew I needed to rest. When we got to a certain point, I asked her if she'd be Ok to head back, and she said yes, as she had done Cross Fit this morning. Still managed to do 18+ miles, and I am looking forward to sleeping in on a rainy morning tomorrow.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Today we did our first ride of the season to Bolton Orchards for lunch and back. This is a hilly ride, so good training for France. Usually, it's 50 miles + a little, but because of grooved pavement on a downhill toward the end of the ride, we took a slightly shorter way home, so it ended up being 46 miles and about 2,400 ft. of climbing. We purposely keep it slow on these rides, so we feel good when we get to lunch! The majority of the hard climbing is right before the stop, but there is an awesome downhill to make up for it. After lunch, there is a 4 mile gradual climb, not shaded. It does flatten and go down a few times, but after lunch, it feels hard. DH was really going slowly, and I forced myself to stay behind. Good thing, because after this, there's one more annoying climb, and then a long downhill, when we get back to an area that's more local riding for us. This is where I started feeling like I was losing it, but I ate a Shot Block, which helped right until I got to the climb up my street. It was 81 today and the clouds cooperated and came out for most of the climbing that wasn't shaded. It was quiet out today; not so many cars or riders, and Bolton Farms was quiet, too. I think there's a lot of graduations and end of the school year sports stuff going on.
    Yesterday, we did a fast 19 miles just around Concord and Carlisle. It was also my first beer and ice cream day of the season .
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Took the road bike out for the first time in months. Even though I bike to work only occasionally (I don't know how long I'll be at work until I get there), I think it's done me some good in terms of keeping my fitness up. Despite the difference in gearing, the hill on the way home is so much easier on a bike that weighs less than 30 pounds (never mind the weight of the stuff in the pannier). 31 miles today. Still not acclimated to the heat, though...
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...