Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

basic cycling computer

To disable ads, please log-in.

I currently have a Polar CS500+c (wind) on my road bike.

If I want to keep using my computer on the new (which will be our second bike) Crux I'm going to have to buy 2 sensors - plus magnet and holder for the wheels. Might as well say the whole thing, but the computer itself. Just the 2 sensors (speed and cadence) are nearing $135cdn...paid $200 (bargain from bike shop 2 years ago) for my toy.

Now I was looking to maybe use a simple one on the Crux (and just forget all the bling bling). I don't care much about technology (husband does!!!) and I'm just happy with my speed and kilometers ridden. Husband is keener on getting something with cadence...I don't care! Sure it is a nice-to-have but not that useful for me. I just want to roll..not check every minute my cadence, my speed, my watts (on trainer!). I don't need the HR monitor on it because I wear my Mio Alpha 2 watch and it is good enough with flashing light to know which range I'm in.

Sooooo. what would be your best, simplest gadget for this? CatEye? I would prefer less buttons and bigger numbers.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

I have a Garmin Edge 500 on my road bike, and a Planet Bike 9.0 wireless on my CX. It's a great little computer, does a lot and displays temperature accurately, which is the main thing I want since I need to keep an eye on high temperatures in the summer. (I live on the SE Coast, it's brutal here. Can't tell when I'm at risk for heat exhaustion without some help, I ride at 11:00 AM through the summer with a group of people I work with).

It does everything I want.

They also have a white version, but it is not wireless. I too, didn't want to bother getting all the sensors, etc., to use the Garmin on another bike. And I have 5 bikes. I do plan to get more Planet bike computers.

Edit: I've had it for about 2 years, now. No problems. I do wish the sensor were a bit smaller, but not enough that I would consider getting something else. This computer is very close to perfect for my needs.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 04-24-2015 at 10:12 AM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Thank you Muirenn.

I will look into it. Hubby has the Edge 500 and he really likes his (and I like my Polar). I find the reading on Polar is easier than the Edge.
    Helene

The Planet bike is very easy to read. Huge display with no glare. I actually prefer it to the Edge, but I can't put the cheap planet bike on the Pinarello, and the expensive edge on another bike.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

going to our bike shop in a few moments (yippppeeee the weekend in 15 minutes) and I will look at what he has in stock for "cheap". Who knows...since we are getting 2 Crux from him (but for my own frame that comes from USA), he may make myself another "can't-pass-away" deal.

If not, I will search the web for a planet. I think.
    Helene

The brand is Planet Bike, just FYI.

And here it is in Canada

http://www.triboutique.ca/Planet-Bik..._protege9w.htm
    Last edited by Muirenn; 04-24-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

This is what my shop has at 65$. Probably could get it at 40 to 50% off
    http://m.specialized.com/ca/en/ftb/c...sport-wireless

she did show me also a cateye. Of course they have all the big ones like edge 1000 at over 900$ lol

So now I will compare yours with the spec one.
    Helene