Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Supportive semi-cute flats?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Do these exist? I'm on a mission to find a pair of flats that won't make my feet ankles and knees die. Currently when I travel, I take a pair of tennis shoes for rainy days (hate wearing sandals in wet weather), a pair of black sandals for dress-up that I can walk in ok but not too far, and a pair of Keen sandals that are ugly as heck but I can walk all day in them. I'd really really like to replace the tennis shoes and the sandals with a pair of flats that can work for both purposes. "Dress-up" and "cute" are super relative terms - I'm all about function over fashion (hence the keens) but am looking for things that can look reasonably-okay with a simple black cotton dress,for example.

I ordered a pair of Keen Rivingtons but they didn't work for me -- tight in the top of the foot and loose in the heel (which is what all the reviews said, but I hoped it would work for my narrow feet).

Does anyone have a pair of supportive flats they'd recommend?

Haha unfortunately I have childsize feet (5.5) so I don't think those will work, but thank you for offering!

I'm willing to spend on a pair that is comfortable and will last long -- the only pair of dress flats I've ever owned hasn't proven very durable -- but $220 might be a bit much to stomach. I think I'd be more comfortable with something under $150.

I don't really believe those ballet-style flats would provide any support. Those wedges are cute but heels tend to hurt my knees, I need something lower than that.

Why is footwear so difficult!

Start looking at European brands, like Beautifeel and Nyot. Expensive, but can find on sale.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

No help on the shoes (I'm happy with the most minimal flats I can find), but I love your blog!!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Thanks Blueberry!! I'm actually trying to figure out how to pivot it to be more about women & bikes (because right now its about literally whatever I feel like talking about haha).

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Interesting. My interpretation of ballet flat shoes...are really flat shoes that hardly any heel. I have a silver pair which I loved but haven't worn for a decade. They kill my feet now.

I have dress shoes..only 3 pairs that I wear right now and they are all different with various degrees of walkability. What I look for since I've given up on support (I have customized orthotics and cannot wear them unless I buy $250.00+ shoes.) for dress shoes, is the upper part of shoe is not cut minimally and covers a lot of your foot, there's a shoe buckle that will keep foot in and a heel base that is broad under the ball of foot.

Rest of my shoes are for dress pants, more chunky, etc.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Almost all of my shoes are from Clark's. They are very comfortable. I was even able to find high heels that I could walk in for several hours without problems.

I typically wear a size 9 shoe but most of my Clark's are an 8.5. There are Clark's stores at several malls around here so I'm able to try them on, but Zappo's also sells them.

They have different lines -- Privo is more casual, Unstructured is very soft leather, Artisan is on the dressier side.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Clarks are a good idea, I will check those out. I used to have several pairs of clogs by them that were reasonably comfortable. Flats are just hard to make work -- but I will keep trying!!

I love Clarks - especially Clark Artisans. I must have support, I will say that there are some Clarks Mary Janes that have worked well for me in that area. I really like the Clarks Artisan Kessa Agnes Mary Janes - I've a couple pair. They are comfortable and are fine for jeans, slacks, and business casual depending on the style. I wear a size 9 N - and I can usually actually FIND my size in narrow for Clarks Artisan styles.

They aren't exactly flats, but not far from it. Even with my feet and knees I can handle them all day long :-) They used to come in more colors - and they may not be what you had in mind but I wanted to mention them. The link is to Peltz Shoes - I LOVE their prices - these shoes retail for over $100 and Peltz has them for just under $50 :-)

Thanks for the link to Peltz, catrin. I just got some super cute easy street shoes for $30!
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Quote Originally Posted by VeganBikeChick View Post
    Thanks for the link to Peltz, catrin. I just got some super cute easy street shoes for $30!
    I swear by them - now they are not the fastest in shipping - but the prices can't be beat. Apparently they've been around a long time, I discovered them a couple years ago.

I'm not CRAZY about those shoes, but oh wow the prices on this site! Are returns really easy? (Aka am I a total chump for using Zappos the last couple of years??)

Quote Originally Posted by fallstoclimb View Post
    I'm not CRAZY about those shoes, but oh wow the prices on this site! Are returns really easy? (Aka am I a total chump for using Zappos the last couple of years??)
    I've not had to return anything so I can't speak on how easy returns are. It is probably slower than Zappos, just like the shipping is. Can't beat the prices though - and I do think that at least some of their styles are from the previous year and/or about to be discontinued. I don't KNOW this for sure, but it would explain their prices. BTW, it looks to me that Zappos has really increased their pricing over time as they've become more popular. I could be mistaken so don't quote me

With my foot surgery and arthritis in a toe joint or two, I don't have a lot of options in shoe styles. Generally speaking, the pretty/really good looking shoes don't provide me the support I need and cause me pain. That being said, I've been fortunate to find Clarks that fit my needs, they look decent, and they last me forever. I am hard on shoes so that says something.
    Last edited by Catrin; 04-25-2015 at 08:54 AM.

I looked on the Peltz site and it seemed like most of the stuff I was looking at were only $5.00 off. I've had some really good deals on Shoe Buy, much better than what I saw on Peltz.
    Sierra Trading Post carries Clarks for a big discount. Theya re slow shippers, too, but worth a try.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I looked on the Peltz site and it seemed like most of the stuff I was looking at were only $5.00 off. I've had some really good deals on Shoe Buy, much better than what I saw on Peltz.
    Sierra Trading Post carries Clarks for a big discount. Theya re slow shippers, too, but worth a try.
    This is good to know, thanks! For me, I generally get $40-$50 off of my Clarks Artisans from Peltz when compared with local shoe stores. I've not looked at other brands, not really.