Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Vita Carbon…anyone ride one? any opinions? other choices?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am not a new rider, however, since I moved to Boston I have ridden less, and want to change that. I had ridden a high end Trek or Specialized Sirrus hybrid before Boston. I purchased a Specialized Ruby a few years ago…reasoning.. I wanted to have a road bike, and I needed something lightweight to get up to the 3rd floor easily at the age of 71. I am thinking of selling the Ruby at the Landry's Consignment Sale at the end of April, and purchasing the Vita Carbon. I do need to see and road test it of course before making that decision. I don't think a road bike is for me. I like to do long distances leisurely, taking in the sights. "smelling the roses", and think i would be happier with a hybrid again. I'm not completely sold, but I am just wondering if anyone has ridden a carbon hybrid, such as the vita comp, and what you liked, didn't like, etc. Any suggestions appreciated!! Thanks

This is a fairly new version of the Vita, and I haven't heard anyone on this forum say they have it.
    Think about what you really want. You can ride a road bike to "smell the roses." If you were saying that there was something in the geometry of your Ruby that was causing pain, that would be different. And, I don't hear you saying that you don't like drop bars, just that you want to do long distances at a leisurely speed. But, essentially, you'd be buying a flat bar carbon road bike, which I am sure is not cheap. There is no rule that says you can't ride your Ruby for the type of riding you want to do; a lot people do.
    You will not get a lot for your used Ruby, especially with Landry's taking a cut.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks, Right, I don't like the drop bars, and knew that I would not get a positive reaction to the Vita Carbon, just wanted to see if anybody had one. Yes, I know they are expensive. Landry's gives you 90% towards a purchase. I would wait and see what they gave for a selling point,, as well as get out on my Ruby once again, before making a decision.

Just make an informed decision! And you might want to check that your Ruby is fit well. I am not impressed with Landry's, after the time they put my computer on backwards... and tried to steer me toward buying a bike I clearly said I had no interest in.
    There is nothing wrong with a flat bar road bike.
    And, you might be interested in this ride: http://www.amcboston.org/trips/tripID/81253
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

One of the ladies I ride with just got the Vita Carbon with Disc brakes from Specialized. I have had a Vita Elite in the past and in comparison this is a much better version. Basically it has the Ruby frame with the Zertz inserts and disc brakes. Very comfortable and she normally rides the same road bike I have which is a Ruby Elite Compact Apex. So far she has put a couple of hundred miles on it and REALLY loves it. She said she is using it for family rides and is considering using for a commuter bike. So far she hasn't been disappointed in ANY aspect of the bike. She rides a lot and is very picky about the feel of a bike and said this one handles great at low speeds with her kids and along side other riding road bikes. She described it best as a Ruby carbon but with a flat bar and disc brakes. Hope this helps. I rode it a short distance and LOVED it. I might have to make it my next N+1 bike.
    You don't have to be the fastest to go the distance.

2013 Specialized Ruby Elite Compact Apex
    2013 Giant Avail