Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrakeforPastry View Post
    So since yesterday I've ridden two carbon bikes, different brands, and I think I've found a little problem. The top tubes on both were wider than on the similar aluminum models. My inner thighs kept rubbing against the frame. Admittedly. I don't have the thinnest thighs, but they're not huge, either and I couldn't ignore it. But they were both really nice rides.
    I get this, sometimes...I have big thighs and relatively narrow hips (no thigh-gap for this girl -- I could be emaciated and my thighs would still touch. Even as a scrawny teenager my jeans always wore our first in the inner thigh area). Is it possible your knees are diving inwards too much while you pedal, too?

I will echo others who recommend carbon. I rode some godawful potholed roads on my Cannondale SuperSix and even was involved in a paceline crash when the rider in front of me had some debris tangle in her rear wheel and drivetrain and took us both down. My frame is still flawless and strong. SUPER smooth on our rough chipsealed roads here in MI, too.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

My knees do point slightly towards each other. I could never be a yoga model because I'm just not linear. Knees point in, calves bend out. Even when the knee joint is fully straightened, my legs don't look straight. It doesn't cause any knee problems when pedaling, it's just the way I am. I can consciously pull my knees out, but it takes mental energy as well as physical energy, and isn't natural.

Anyway, I ended up getting a good deal on a Specialized Vita from last year. My neck is much happier with upright bars. I will keep a basic drop bar bike for those few times I might want to do something different (or ride with a friend). I'm sure that the Vita will serve me well, just like my Sirrus did, before it was stolen.

Thanks for the interesting discussion. Besides the Wright Brothers owning a bike shop, it's fun to see how all this is connected. And I've worked in aviation for 25 years

Quote Originally Posted by IBrakeforPastry View Post
    So since yesterday I've ridden two carbon bikes, different brands, and I think I've found a little problem. The top tubes on both were wider than on the similar aluminum models. My inner thighs kept rubbing against the frame. Admittedly. I don't have the thinnest thighs, but they're not huge, either and I couldn't ignore it. But they were both really nice rides.
    Another thought, if you end up not getting a carbon frame due to that... Get a set of nice wheels! I have Topolino wheels with kevlar/carbon spokes on an aluminum frame - that's a nice ride too!
    Specialized Oura or Romin Evo Saddles