Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: hubless bike

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

hubless bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

http://gizmodo.com/this-hubless-bicy...lla-1570751156

Seems like this bike generated a thread on the mechanical functionality of this bike... I have yet to show my partner this article. Supposed to fold like an umbrella.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Wow they even have a video with a man riding the bicycle. Frame, the handlebar, seat folds neatly into a "umbrella" shape and you have a set of two large rings to go with it. Wheels didn't fold into some small arc. Too bad

But did you see the man trying to pick up the frame part. It didn't look all that light. Well if it was in carbon, it would be a lot lighter.

Back wheel doesn't need to be all that stiff. Front wheel on the other hand needs to be very strong. Weight placed on the rear wheel is through the pulley/drive wheel next to the ground so the rear wheel doesn't experience the full load except at the contact point on the ground. Weight on the front wheel is placed through the guides near the head tube so the wheel is seeing the full weight through all of the front wheel without the help of spokes... Me think.

just my 2 cents.

Is that friction drive, or are there gear teeth inside the rear wheel? Either way, how would less-than-smooth terrain affect the drive? My internet's too slow to watch the video ...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I can't imagine riding that type of bike in the snow/ice or lots of mud. Looks very urban type of bike to me. Well, definitely not a bike to carry much weight on the back of bike.

Wonder if the inventors saw Bike Friday's rocket pocket that one can wheel into a grocery store, folded up.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.