Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerseys

Jerseys

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a few questions about jerseys.

1. Do you wear a jersey everytime you ride? Are tshirts and cycling shorts acceptable?
    2. What are the best brands to buy? Are there brands I should stay away from?
    3. Short sleeve? Sleeveless? Kit?
    4. How many different jerseys should I own?

I'm not sure what the protocol is...I just want to make sure I'm outfitted properly.
    I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!!

Hi! Welcome to TE!

To answer your questions:
    1. Yes, I wear a jersey every time I ride, or almost. If I'm commuting in winter, I might just throw a jacket over a wool baselayer if I'll be wearing the jacket on the way home too. (I live in AZ--we don't really have winter here!) A wicking t-shirt and cycling shorts is fine for short rides; what jerseys get you is pockets so you can stash your stuff. Keys, phone, snacks, and so forth.
    2. There's no good way to answer that question, since each brand is cut and sized a bit differently. I look for bright colors and/or appealing designs, a cut that fits, no elastic at the hem (or just at the front), and 3 deep pockets (an extra zippered pocket is a bonus). Also, no cap sleeves and sleeves have to be long enough to play nicely with arm warmers. Bear in mind that most brands tend to run small.
    3. Short-sleeve or long-sleeve (for winter). Never sleeveless. Kit...well, that depends. Not that I own any.
    4. However many you want and will fit in your closet! (Though I suggest you actually use them all...)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

my criteria for jerseys is 3/4 or full zipper, three pockets and long or short sleeves. I like bright colors, tend to stay away from black because of the heat absorption, a variety of designs but I prefer a looser fit so tend to go for ride styling rather than race. I will never be a fashionista but prefer practicality. Since I often do multiple day rides I have a large wardrobe but number of jerseys goes with how often you ride and how often you do laundry. If I had to, though I could ride a week in a clean outfits but that's accumulated over the past 7 years.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Road biking I always wear a jersey. Mountain biking I always wear a tech t shirt.

I have a lot of jerseys as shirts but I always seem to come back to the same ones. You'll find you end up liking certain things more than others.

For me never sleeveless, especially since I've had skin cancer. Long sleeves or short with sun sleeves. Brands mean nothing to me. I get whatever feels comfortable.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I alway wear jerseys, unless it's a utility ride/shopping, and then I might wear a tech t shirt or some other top that has lycra that is more fashionable. I have long sleeve, short sleeve, and sleeveless jerseys, but over the years, I have found that I wear less of the short sleeved ones and use the long sleeved ones in the beginning of the season or cold riding and that once it's hot out, I like sleeveless. I also have a few different thickness of thermal linings in the LS jerseys. Basically, I now only buy Terry and Voler jerseys, as they fit me the way I like.
    I could go for 10 days (or more, if the weather changed) without having to do laundry with jerseys, but I basically keep my stuff until I notice they are pilling, etc. The last few years, I've been better about going through my collection and throwing out ones that don't have the right fit, are pilled, or damaged in some other way. The styles and way jerseys are made have changed a lot in 15 years, and while I had a couple of jerseys I liked from 2002, they were too short and had other features I didn't really like.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Don't worry about "acceptable" or "protocol," worry about what's comfortable for you!!!

For short transportation rides around town on my hybrid, I just wear whatever I'm wearing. Over my street clothes I'll throw a high visibility jacket (with or without the removable sleeves) with my garage door opener in the pocket. That bike has saddlebags, and I'll normally want to be carrying a purse plus whatever else I need to/from my destination (yoga gear, grocery bags, binoculars, etc) so I don't need more pockets in my clothes.

For recreational road rides I wear a jersey just because I need pockets for my phone/ID and little stuff like eyedrops and spare chamois lube - and also because I sweat and cotton turns to a sodden chafe-y mess.

I always wear sleeves, partly as a holdover from my racing days (ancient history now) and partly for sun protection.

How many to buy - how often do you ride and how often do you want to wash your jerseys? (They'll last longer if you wash them on gentle cycle or by hand, no fabric softeners, and definitely air dry.)

As far as brand - if you have a LBS where you can try them on, buy the brand(s) that fit! If you order from TE, the staff knows their product line very, very well, and if there's something they don't know off the top of their head, they'll pull a product out of the package and answer any questions you have! You can call or email and they're really great about answering questions about proportions, sizing, pocket size, zippers and seams, anything you might want to know about a garment, and they're great about returns also if you order something that doesn't work for you.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I have 2 jerseys and 3 pairs of road bike shorts and 1 bib. For roadbike, I wear the "kit" but if I'm on my hybrid, it is simply short and t-shirt. Nothing expensive (except for my bib, which I hate wearing so I keep it for those super long ride). I watch the sales and that's it.

But never training without a sports bra. Gotta preserve those, even when I'm on trainer in the basement.

I would certainly buy a whole lot more kits but I prefer to spend money on something else. And our gym clothes are washed as soon as we get back home (on in motorhome when traveling - we have a combo machine in there). So no need for 20 kits. For me. In the basement, I start with the jersey but within 5 minutes, I'm alreary in bra only. So what's the point wearing a jersey. hihi

Always short sleeve and if needed, I wear a sport coat over it or arm/leg warmers. I'm always too hot anyway if I could go chest naked.... I would. haha

As others have said, there is no protocol, just what you're comfortable with.

I do road rides and occasionally mountain bike rides, no cycling for transportation. When I first started I wore cotton t-shirts. Cotton is not the most comfortable fabric, and the t-shirts tended to be too loose so they would flutter or balloon up as I rode. Bike jerseys tend to be more fitted and more breathable, therefore more comfortable. And the pockets are useful.

I like to shop and I get bored wearing the same thing over and over. And I like to wear the best possible outfit for the weather. So I have lots of jerseys. Long sleeved thermal, long sleeved regular weight, short sleeved regular weight, short sleeved lightweight, sleeveless, tank tops with built-in bra. Arm warmers (thermal and lightweight), arm coolers for warm weather, DeSoto Cool Wings (wicking bolero jacket) to wear over tank tops to protect my shoulders from the sun. Wind vests, wind breaker, water-proof and windproof jacket, wind resistant thermal jacket. Long sleeved wool base layers to wear under a jersey in cooler temps.

I prefer bright colors, avoid black (too hot) and most shades of blue and green (not visible enough from a distance). I like reflective materials on the jersey for when I ride after dark or on cloudy days. I don't like elastic around the arm openings or the bottom hem.

The brand is not important to me as long as the fit and fabric are good.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

NY, you and I are exactly alike when it comes to bike jerseys! I can't imagine having 2, or 5, or even 7. Mine last for years, but styles and fit have changed, so I cull the herd every year. I generally buy one new short sleeved jersey a year and 1-2 sleeveless. I am happy with my heavy thermal long sleeved jerseys, but I'd like another mid weight one and maybe another regular LS one. Of course, I love to shop (on-line), so a lot of my shopping has transferred over to cycling and other athletic apparel. Plus, I never do laundry more than 2X a week, and that is only because of all of the cycling and worse, winter sports stuff, that has to be cleaned. Otherwise, it would be 1X a week. The best part is, when we go on cycling trips, when everyone else is washing their stuff in the sink, DH and I have enough pairs of shorts and clean jerseys for the whole tour.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    During the lst 10 years of cycling, I swore I would not wear a jersey.

Now I prefer for last 15 years, to wear a jersey unless I'm cycling a super short distance somewhere close to home. I have quite a number of jerseys --some more frequently worn than others. But I have not thrown out a jersey yet. I still wear jerseys 15 yrs. old. I choose fabrics that aren't too thin and durable for washing machine.

I keep cycling jerseys, tights, shorts, gloves and helmet in 2 different cities where we live. That's what you can do with too much cycling clothing. I haven't bought a cycling jersey in the past 18 months. Some years, no clothing. I never have to pack such clothing when I travel between the 2 cities.

On cycling stuff annually, I spend money on repair, occasional bike parts that wear out after several years of use. So honestly, cost-wise, cycling has become cheaper for me.

I tend to wear walking shorts if I choose something non-cycling oriented.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 04-08-2015 at 03:25 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

long sleeve jersey in the cooler months but once it gets hot I wear long-sleeve sun shirts. I put a wicking camisole type top on over my sports bra and then my long sleeve sun shirt. I have 3 different ones - all bright colors, love the venting and the air flow. As I don't race I have found them to be extremely comfortable for both day rides and touring. I have a front rack bag so I don't need the pockets a jersey provides.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Sky King, can you show us the long-sleeve sun shirts or tell us what brand? I'd like to look into those. Thanks.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I'm not Sky King, but I have a few of these. I wear them all summer - riding, at the beach, walking around - they really do protect nicely from the sun.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    I'm not Sky King, but I have a few of these. I wear them all summer - riding, at the beach, walking around - they really do protect nicely from the sun.
    I'm a big fan of the Zoot arm coolers. Right now they're on sale for $12! and I might just grab another pair in case the ones I have wear out. I've heard good things about Craft's cooling garments too, though I've never even seen them in person.

I haven't actually worn a Columbia shirt, but last year I was at an event where they were giving out half sleeve swatches made of their cooling fabric. I wore one on one arm and my Zoot sleeve on the other and I thought the Zoot sleeve was noticeably cooler and more comfortable.

Since I always wear short sleeved jerseys (or T-shirts when I'm just hanging out spectating), I don't need to cover my shoulders with anything extra, though some people here have said good things about the DeSoto Cool Wings bolero. I don't recommend the DeSoto standalone sleeves - they're just as effective as the Zoots against sunburn and heat, but the fit is weird, and since the fabric has very little stretch, if they don't fit exactly right they won't stay up.

Do be aware that any cooling garment has to fit like a second skin, like pantyhose, since they work by increasing evaporation, and if the fabric isn't in contact with the skin, they'll just trap a layer of air which will insulate and make you even hotter. That's one reason I prefer a short sleeved jersey plus sleeves rather than a full-on skin-tight cooling shirt.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 04-09-2015 at 08:06 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Yes, have arm sleeves as well but for some reason it is just easier for me to do the sun shirt. My photo on this response shows me in my all time favorite one It is from a company called Stillwater Supply. 100 % poly but it doesn't stink, has holes in the armpits for vent and a nice vent across the shoulders. I have a columbia that is heavier weight than the Stillwater. Then I scored an extremely awesome one at a 2nd hand outdoor store by a company called ExOfficio is 85%Nylon 15% poly. It has wonderful venting down the sides plus the venting across the shoulder plus it is a great bright salmon colorClick image for larger version. 

Name:	group_ride_2.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	17593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oy 158.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	17594
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com