Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I saw the 49cm Specialized Crux. Nice bike. The white when seen in person is more like a glacier with tiny sparkles. Nice one. Could not test drive it because would not have been purchasing it there. Feels a bit awkward to "use" their bikes and then turn around and say thank you...going to one of your competitors... not my type at all.

Saw a Norco. Just too flash with its lime fluo colour and it is in sram or something.
    Saw the Caadx. Plain black. Missing some colour but could have been a good option. Except my Amira is flat black, with minimal colour and you all know how I complain from day one from lack of colour
    Ridley...none around here left.
    Giant, the one we would have liked is over our budget

So for the time-being, I'm leaning towards the Crux.

I could have gone back to my store and ordered 2 (one for each of us) but I want to give myself time to think of my options. It is still over my initial budget. I had planned a max of $2000 each, all inclusive and now it would be $2000 plus 15% taxes x 2. And we know when we buy a bike, it needs pedals, bags, and a few things...which add up. Still trying to figure a way to fit in my budget. Store owner tells me I can take the bike and handle him a few post-dated cheques but I don't work that way. I prefer to pay it all and I'm done. I don't want to pay for it for a few months. $1000 a month for 4 months (plus my deposit) is a LOT of cash. So if I buy something, it's because I have the money in hand. I can order one bike, pay for it, then wait a few months and order the 2nd one.

I can always turn around and go for the Caadx at the other store. And I'm still trying to find a used crossbike in the classified. But so far, nothing comes up for our size. They are rare and when found, they had a line up of buyers. The good thing... if I buy one and don't like it, I maybe able to resell it quickly. At lost but doable.

TBC....
    Last edited by Helene2013; 04-04-2015 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pll View Post
    There is a blue and pink Crux E5 frame that looks awesome.
    OMG... we don't have that frame set in Canada. Boring colours again! dah!

I wonder how much it would cost me to get this frame and build my own bike. I could pick up this frame when we go camping in May in the USA and then have my LBS put it together. ahhhhhh that would be soooooooo cool. Probably cost me twice the price of a normal E5 but what a thrill. Let me think some more. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Helene2013 View Post
    OMG... we don't have that frame set in Canada. Boring colours again! dah!

I wonder how much it would cost me to get this frame and build my own bike. I could pick up this frame when we go camping in May in the USA and then have my LBS put it together. ahhhhhh that would be soooooooo cool. Probably cost me twice the price of a normal E5 but what a thrill. Let me think some more. haha
    Go for it! [you can get a custom wheelset with pink hubs, say Hed Belgium Plus with White Industries Hubs (the Belgium Plus rims are 25mm wide and tubeless ready ... I have a pair of them with black hubs, they are *sweet* wheels).

I think the key would be for you to ride the bike in the US and take it back to Canada used.

No hurry at all...but I don't want to wait 2 years either. I'm pretty compulsive when I want (and make it in the back of my mind a thing I need to survive haha) something.

I will ask my LBS on Monday how much it could cost me to get that same bike with that frameset. He has good connection with Spec office. So who knows. But it won't come cheap for sure. I just love to dream in colour and don't want my bubble burst until Monday.

There is also the Trek Crocket in similar colors to the Crux. Perhaps it's easier to find in Canada? It's slightly cheaper, too.

Go for it! [you can get a custom wheelset with pink hubs, say Hed Belgium Plus with White Industries Hubs (the Belgium Plus rims are 25mm wide and tubeless ready ... I have a pair of them with black hubs, they are *sweet* wheels).

I think the key would be for you to ride the bike in the US and take it back to Canada used.
    As much as we were tempted many times, it is something I could never do. A few people we know indirectly got caught at borders and their bikes were confiscated and they got fines, etc. Since we travel a lot across border and I am eligeable to spend $800(cdn) with any fees, it is worth it to declare it. The 2 of us have a total combined of $1600...it would cover the frameset and I'd be "legal".

We have the receipts for our current bikes and anything expensive we cross with often. Even my dogs, I still have their invoices, and "immigration" papers...in case. hihi

There is also the Trek Crocket in similar colors to the Crux. Perhaps it's easier to find in Canada? It's slightly cheaper, too.
    We looked at that one yesterday with our other bike shop and they are way more expensive than the Spec one. the Crockett one (full mounted) was over $2500. My Crux is currently $2000 - with rebate. No rebate on the Crockett as they don't have a line discount.

The Spec is better looking, in my opinion. If you go for the frame, you might be able to find the components in some local exchange group (here, in DC, there is a great Facebook page where people post bike stuff they are selling). Many people buy a bike and upgrade their components right away, so you can find a brand new groupset very cheaply. I can see a Spec with pink hubs and neon yellow bar tape. You'd need sunglasses to ride it.

Thanks for the tips. I don't know much about bikes or parts. Know the names but that is about it.

I think the neon tape would be a tad too much....I love looks but not THAT much. hahahha

Yeah, my bikes are kind of boring (white/black), except for the patent red handlebar tape from Fisik. More than a looker, strangers frequently touch my bars... I'd probably actually put the patent white tape on that Specialized bike.

Hummm wrote something but it does not show up. Let me try again.

Last night I had a flash - just before bed. I swear, my little mouse is spinning a lot. haha I think I'm driving husband crazy in the past 24 hours.

Sooo... what if I bought the USA frame I like. Then still buy the Canadian bike model and take the parts from it. They are all there since the same bike, just different frame. Then I could resell the original frame, or make a deal with my bike shop. Hummmmm that could work. It is still not a cheap option, but another option in my bag.

I'll speak with him tomorrow as everything is closed for Easter today. Will find more tomorrow. And who knows, maybe he can get me the USA frame himself directly from Specialized Canada but I'd doubt it very very much that Spec would do this.

My 1st thing is show him the frame, see if he can get it through his contact at Specialized and if yes, how much it would cost me. I'd doubt that Spec Canada would get him something from USA. They must have rules or something about territories, etc...

If not, if I get the frameset myself, how much it would cost me to get it on the road

Last option would be to purchase the current one he can get me and get the equipment on the frame I'd get from USA.

Yes I can order from Ribble or places like Wiggles, etc. Even cheaper for us than buying USA because of our $ exchange currency being so high now.

The frame in US is $990 plus VT tax since I'd pick it up in Burlington, VT. So once I convert into canadian $ you add a good 30% (gotta use my Visa card). So frameset is not cheap for me. But picking it up, I save the customs/duties which can add up another $300 vs picked up myself since I stay more than 2 nights in USA (we're camping anyway to cycle vermont on that long weekend).

Lots of food for thoughts as you can see...to get a 2nd bike that may not be ridden every day!

Worst case scenario, I get the frame...and take the time to search for parts at cheaper rate (auctions, etc) over the season and then get it put up.

I'm in no hurry. Sure it would be fun to get it right now this moment. But it's not like I have nothing to ride on.

Thanks for the link. That groupset would not work at it has to be hydraulic disc brakes...but not there yet.

I spoke to owner of LBS. He looked through his web connection and made a call to his Spec person but cannot get that USA frame just yet. So he placed the call to his top person there and since he is off for the Easter holiday, owner told me to call him back tomorrow at noon and he should be able to tell me if we can have it. He's confident....I'm not that sure! By experience.

Told him I'd go grab it myself when we're camping in USA in May. His fear is that the dealers around may not even be able to get it if no longer made from production. He's right...those frames are generally done a year ahead of being sold. So we'll see.

Step one is done. Waiting to call him tomorrow at noon and go to next step. If he can have it, he'll build it for me. I have no clue yet how much. Useless to talk costs unless we have something to talk about.

Told hubby that my worst case scenario is that I purchase the frame and get the parts online through stores and kijiji, etc...

To be continued...

No news yet. His contact did not say no. I think they are still figuring this thing out. At least he asked me again the size I needed. So still waiting. tic tac tic tac haha Told him I was waiting for his answer in order to order my husband's bike at the same time.

Welll.... not looking good.

He said that Specialized checked everything for the US side and nothing is available. That is just too weird. You have a website with a product but not available.

So my LBS owner told me if I can find one to let him know and he will get back to Spec. Even if I find it in the UK.

So if anyonse sees that frameset for the Crux and available in a 49cm can you let me know so I can get back to my bike shop owner. I want this frame. hihi

He said if we can find it, he will try to get it at a better price than I would pay. If he can't get it from Spec, than I can buy it and he will put it together for me. So the search game is on!

Edited to add:
    Found one in Montpelier, VT. The guy can order it for me (he said there is only one 49cm left in Eastern warehouse) but I have to pay ahead of time. No issue there. Just waiting for him to confirm he can truly get it before I cough out so much money via my credit card. It is only 2hrs away from us so I could pick it up while we go camping. It would be cool. My LBS will assemble it for me. At the price the store in VT is making it for me, my shop owner said to go grab it as only one is available. No time to waste. So now I'm waiting for that man to get back to me with the next step.
    Last edited by Helene2013; 04-09-2015 at 10:40 AM.