Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

best saddle for flat-bar hybrid?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I ride a Cannondale hybrid with flat bars and have tried three different saddles. At about 30 miles, I get bone soreness from the inner edge of my pelvis, though no chafing; I like to ride 40-50 on a local trail. Any thoughts on the appropriate saddle? I need a good-sized cutout and am currently on a Terry Cite-X.

Is your saddle wide enough for your sit bones?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Yes, my Terry is probably their widest saddle for touring. My Cannondale Quick is also pretty wide. Both are pear-shaped, and I keep them tilted up just a bit, as otherwise I tend to slide forward. Does that help?

I use the Terry Cite-X on my 7.4 FX flat bar, I find I have to keep it 100% level or it ends up hurting. That and I keep it far forward on its rails, that helps me compensate for not being able to tilt it up at all.

Electra Townie 7D

Knott and I are sitting here just having breakfast. I theorized if you feel you have to tilt the seat up or you'll slide forward off the seat that it's a bike fit issue, frame too big perhaps. I'd have to see you riding. She thinks this is core strength. Need to strengthen the core to keep you upright and on your sit bones. One of us is right or maybe neither. Who knows.

Have you had your bike fit?
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Yes, I WISH you could see me riding, Trek and Knott! I did have my bike fit by a man who took about an hour to tweak, and did a lot of measuring, and I've had less soreness on those bones since then. Perhaps I should have asked instead about best saddle for more upright rider? I think the problem mostly comes riding flatter terrain as on the rail-to-trail rides. Here in Western PA, it's hard to go more than 1/4 mile without a hill, so my position varies much more when not riding the trail. Could be the core, but I do a lot of strength yoga and have no back problems standing all day; I think my core is pretty strong. Don't imagine it's significant, but I do have two artificial hips and a knee, and I wonder if the hips torque my pelvis differently than those with original parts. Any suggestions? Looking at a Selle Italia, as someone suggested good for upright rider.

Lots of Specialized's road saddles come in multiple sizes, and they have pretty generous cut-outs. I need a very T-shaped saddle, plus the Jett I have on my hybrid is discontinued, so I'm not really familiar with their current line, but you might take a look at their website. They have a 30-day return policy for items "in original condition" bought online. FWIW, the Jett really did not work for me on my road bike, and I do slide forward which in my case is almost certainly because the hybrid is too big for me, but other than that it works nicely, for me, in a more upright riding position.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I have the Sella Italia Ldy gel on both my road bike and CX. Both are fit slightly upright, even the road. It's an excellent saddle for me.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Maybe you should consider trying a different saddle?

Not sure I understand why keeping it so far forward compensenates for not being able to tilt it. Are you sliding onto the neck of the saddle? Do you need a seatpost with less offset? A shorter stem? Both? How are your knees in relation to the pedal spindle?
    Not sure about the why's, it was just more comfy that way, I have a super long torso so I sit almost upright on the FX and having the seat forward seemed to put less pressure of my girl bits. It has rapidly become a moot point, I'd need almost 117 degrees of flexion to ride it again, and I doubt I'll be able to reach that... so it'll get sold off.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Not sure about the why's, it was just more comfy that way, I have a super long torso so I sit almost upright on the FX and having the seat forward seemed to put less pressure of my girl bits. It has rapidly become a moot point, I'd need almost 117 degrees of flexion to ride it again, and I doubt I'll be able to reach that... so it'll get sold off.
    Pax, I just looked up your previous posts after you talked about flexion and see that you've had a knee replacement recently. Mine was two years ago (also have had both hips replaced) and I kept a journal in Word for months afterward - still updating occasionally - about progress, what helped, what didn't, etc. I've sent that 12 page journal to a number of friends who said it helped to see the day-by-day, week-by-week. Would you like me to email it to you? Honestly, my PT didn't want me to ride outside on the roads for three months. Now I'm at exactly two years, just finished a vacation where I rode 200 in a week, and have had my first outdoor ride of the spring two days ago, when the snow finally melted. Last summer and fall, I did 60-120 a week, and when I get this seat issue worked out, I plan to increase that. The knee works fine - it's the butt! One killer exercise that I still do occasionally when I feel tight is on an inclined board, to increase flexion. You'll get that back!

Quote Originally Posted by Awsmile View Post
    Pax, I just looked up your previous posts after you talked about flexion and see that you've had a knee replacement recently. Mine was two years ago (also have had both hips replaced) and I kept a journal in Word for months afterward - still updating occasionally - about progress, what helped, what didn't, etc. I've sent that 12 page journal to a number of friends who said it helped to see the day-by-day, week-by-week. Would you like me to email it to you? Honestly, my PT didn't want me to ride outside on the roads for three months. Now I'm at exactly two years, just finished a vacation where I rode 200 in a week, and have had my first outdoor ride of the spring two days ago, when the snow finally melted. Last summer and fall, I did 60-120 a week, and when I get this seat issue worked out, I plan to increase that. The knee works fine - it's the butt! One killer exercise that I still do occasionally when I feel tight is on an inclined board, to increase flexion. You'll get that back!
    I'd love to read about your process! Mine feels like one step forward three steps back... but I'm only at six weeks today so they keep telling me to be patient.

I'll PM you my email address, thanks!

Electra Townie 7D

Maybe you should consider trying a different saddle?

Not sure I understand why keeping it so far forward compensenates for not being able to tilt it. Are you sliding onto the neck of the saddle? Do you need a seatpost with less offset? A shorter stem? Both? How are your knees in relation to the pedal spindle?
    And now there's an app;

http://flowmountainbike.com/post-all...HduHQ.facebook
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Based on what you said, and what everyone else recommends, I suggest the Romin Comp Gel. It's not like the regular more extreme Romins in that it is flat, and suitable for more upright riding, has a large cutout, and rubs the area you describe less than other saddles like the specialized Ruby and Toupe. They do not have this equivalent shape in the women's line. I've used both men's and women's specialized saddles, and they are essentially unisex.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb...n-evo-comp-gel

Also, you mention that your current saddle is quite large, have you measured your sitbones? Larger, more padded saddles tend to be more pear shaped. Could be making it worse.
    Thanks, Muirenn! I've measured my sitbones but am going to have a fitter measure them next week (umm, not like the last post.) I like the cutout and am just a little worried that I might need more padding, from reading some of the reviews. My estrogen hit the road long, long ago, so I have absolutely no natural cushioning. I started a thread when I first joined TE about older riders, but no one seemed to have the same delicate - or indelicate - problem. Right now, looks like the Romin comp gel or Selle Italia Diva. I just KNOW I could do 75 if I could just endure the darn saddle! Thanks for your help!

I think there are (were) quite a few people with that "delicate" problem; I was one. There probably already was a thread about this. More padding on the saddle is not the answer, or at least it wasn't for me.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

The Comp has a lot more padding than the Expert and higher end Romins, which is likely the ones they are referring to. I have both. But, the Comp is still lightly padded compared to most saddles, so won't have the issue where the padding compresses and causes pain. The expert romin is on my Pinarello, my fast road bike, and the comp romin is on my Le Monde, my older style steel road bike. I'm a lot more sensitive when I have my period, and I prefer the comp during that week. (Yep, I have a period bike. Sue me. ).

I'll try to put a photo of the two bikes with their saddles up later.

I have a Specialized Gel Toupe on my CAADX, that bike is more upright than the other two, so I can deal, but the cutout on that bike is not a large, hence the Romins are on the regular road bikes. (CAADX is a Cyclocross, and it is about 1.5 cm higher in the front than the others, plus, I set it up to be higher, so the saddle to bar drop is less. It's about 7 cm's on the road bikes. Maybe 3 on the CAADX (though I haven't measured that saddle to bar drop). Different use for that bike, so different setup.

Specialized has a 30 day return policy. If you get it from them, you can send it back if you don't like it.
    Hi Muirenn, and thanks again for the info. I was measured by Bike Rack in Burlington VT, by a woman - yay! - who was really helpful. My husband ended up buying the Romin comp gel that you recommended . I loved the cutout but it was too hard for me, and I ended up with the Lithia. Wow, I love it! Haven't gone more than 30 in a day with it yet, but absolutely no soreness and I'm finally sitting on my sit bones. Thanks again for your help!