Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

To disable ads, please log-in.

This whole thing is so discouraging. How are people supposed to get fit from these types of activities, if they are bullied?
    The others in my boot camp class are kind of tri/running snobs. They have always been friendly to me, but once they learned I was not going to ride with them, I hate swimming, and competition is not my cup of tea, a few stopped talking to me. It's 5:30 AM and it's not that many people, so I engage the ones who are friendly, and I make the others listen to me talk about my cycling trips. I am at least 15 years older than most of them, I don't think they have any idea.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    The others in my boot camp class are kind of tri/running snobs. They have always been friendly to me, but once they learned I was not going to ride with them, I hate swimming, and competition is not my cup of tea, a few stopped talking to me.

This reminds me of a few parties I went to when I first moved to DC. The person hosting worked on Capital Hill as a congressional aide and most of the guests did too. After people found out I had a totally different career, they ignored me for the rest of the party. At one of the parties I ended up talking to a priest (childhood friend of the host) the whole night.

I don't typically talk to folks at the gym. At my old gym I got to know a few people but mostly that was through my trainer, who is very social. But for the most part I prefer to listen to my mp3 player and just focus on my workout.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Same for hubby bike club....the "pros" are always staying together and are so minded into leaving for the ride that they are in their own world totaling ignoring the "normal" riders, which are not bad at all (my husband is in the 2nd fastest group. But even so, he is not part of the click just as not any of the other riders from group 2, 3, etc... Worst is he knows one of the "pro" guys because he is the brother our ex-back neighbour!!! So just to say that some people may think they are just better than you and instead of sharing their knowledge/experiences while waiting for the ride to start, they prefer to remain amongst themselves with their super bikes, facing back the other riders. It is something that was brought up to the club, but did nothing.

And OMG...if a slower group happens to pass them (due to a flat or other from one of them), it is BAD! They do all they can to regain the front of ride (in fact they disappear quickly as they ride easily over 45km/h.

I suppose it is the reality of some people. Just like you find clicks on discussion boards, too often.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1909089/kr...haters-thanks/

Ignorant shallow people are everywhere. I like to think that people that make cruel and ignorant remarks clearly do not understand the power of the spoken word. I feel bad that this happened to you, however take comfort that your not alone in over hearing such hurtful comments. The last time I over heard someone making a snarky remark that referred to myself, I confronted the person right away and repeated the statement to her face (in front of her group) and asked if I had "heard her correctly or misunderstood". Needless to say she shut right up.

The link I posted (hopefully it works) explains the treatment from a few nasty TV viewers towards a local news weather person who is pregnant with her second child and how it has effected her. It's just so uncalled for and sad.

I think you should continue doing what your comfortable doing. I get you don't want to go back as the instructor has brought this forward to the class, but the flip side of that is you may be pleasantly surprised at the warm welcome back from the non-*****y class members.
    No pressure No diamonds