Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Happy Monday: Broken nose and knee injury

To disable ads, please log-in.

Headed to the office, did my usual 2 block walk between garage and building. ALMOST made it to my building (local government building)! I was even on the property...and in the dark my ankle twisted on broken/uneven pavement or loose rocks - I really don't know which. I fell so hard, so fast that I had no chance to check my fall, or even slow it or break it with my arms. So my face and nose took the full force of my fall. Also wrenched my bad knee pretty badly.

Got to the entrance and looked like something from a bad movie, blood pouring down my face. Security wanted to call and ambulance, but I called my manager instead to head to the workman's comp clinic. Dr didn't want to pass opinion on my knee, though he said not to bother icing it - that it wouldn't help me. I go back Thursday for a followup during which he will look more closely at my knee. He wanted to give the swelling a bit of a chance to calm before he really puts it through the paces. It hurts and doesn't seem to mechanically work right...hopefully it isn't an ACL tear or something like that. I currently have my patella brace on to see if that helps. I REALLY hope that I've just pissed it off and haven't done a number on that knee.

I am beautiful to behold this afternoon, not only a broken nose, I lost skin from nose and upper lip from the concrete. I may return to the office tomorrow depending on how I feel in the morning - hopefully I won't scare my coworkers!

Oh yes, Thursday morning I find out if I will need a breast biopsy - hoping not!

One thing is sure, I am thankful that I am in much better condition than I once was. I am convinced that being in good physical condition really helps us in times of unexpected injuries like this. I am actually thankful that I hit the ground in a full prone position, so my glasses didn't break. I shudder to think what kind of damage THAT could have caused, I am thankful.

OMG. What a nasty fall!!!! Hoping you will heal quickly and properly. I think you should give your body a break or 2 before returning to work.

Would that go under the work compensation accident or something since you were on the premises of the employer?

While I have to use personal leave time, all else is covered under workman's comp, thankfully!

Oh noooooooo! Heal up quick! Hope everything turns out OK with the breast issue, too. What a lot to have to go through all at once. ((((Catrin))))
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Oh my Muirenn, I missed that thread for some reason, will go look for it. I am seriously worried about my knee, it doesn't seem to be working right at all. Resting it seems to make it worse. may take tomorrow off to rest but time will tell. Almost scared to hear what the Dr tells me Thursday when he reexamines it. Suddenly I am not stressing so much over the breast scans...

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Hope you heal properly and in good time, Catrin.

Yes, I agree with
    "
    I am convinced that being in good physical condition really helps us in times of unexpected injuries like this. I am actually thankful that I hit the ground in a full prone position, so my glasses didn't break. I shudder to think what kind of damage THAT could have caused, I am thankful."
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Oh no! Heal up soon! Maybe indulge in your favorite beverage/snack tonight?

I am so sorry that happened! But, I agree with Murienn, rest and more rest. I had a broken nose (OK, I went through a car windshield) at age 15 and it took a while before it felt normal, although I was up and around after a week. That will heal. Our bodies need a lot of rest to heal, it takes more energy than we know. I'd get that knee up and ice it, too.
    You are correct, being in shape helps us recover. Do you have any friends who can bring you some goodies?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Actually the latest I've read is consistent with most of the advice I've gotten recently, that ice delays healing. Decreases circulation and inflammation, which are both key components of healing. Use it sparingly in the first 24 hours if it helps the pain, but only for pain, and avoid it otherwise. Definitely still avoid heat. And +1,000,000 on the rest, particularly when it's YOU.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Take care, hugs.
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Happy Monday: Broken nose and knee injury

Well heck! You decided to go full force didn't you? That really sucks. I'm so sorry!

As far as the biopsy goes, we'll vote against it. Physically it's not too bad, but it's rough emotionally. Thankfully I got my results in 2 days so I didn't have to panic too long.

Get well soon and take it easy!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Oh, Catrin. I'm sorry.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Aw man! SO very sorry to hear about your fall, Catrin. That stinks! I hope your knee is not as serious as you fear and that the other injuries will heal up quickly. I agree with everyone, though, take the time you think you need off from work. Jeez, when it rains, it pours, no?
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Ouch, ouch, ouch. I am so sorry! I just kept wincing as I read your post. Good luck with the knee. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

How are you feeling this morning?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport