Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Whew, no surgery, no tendon or ligament tears. Yep, could be worse. Arthritis happens to most/all of us. I've got it in my big toe joints, lower back, and probably other areas as well. But I walk, run, ride, and do yoga, all within the limits of my abilities. Glad the brace feels good and that you'll be able to get back to your training!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

They sent my MRI report directly to me, which is nice. It also means that I fell to the temptation to visit Dr. Google and wish I hadn't.

How could I avoid it though? I mean, sentences such as this:

Extensive patellofemoral disease with broad regions of high-grade chondromalacia laterally.
    Prominent notch spur effaces the ACL. Notch synovitis
    Medial cartilage thinning (grade 2-3) - no medial meniscal tear (whew)

Ok, perhaps it is no mystery now why landing on that knee in my fall had...repercussions. And why I can no longer run. Why most of the cardio machines hurt my knee. And...

On the OTHER hand, I had a great 37 minute intense kettlebell workout this morning that felt great. So my coach had to change two of the exercises in the kettlebell circuit to prevent pain - but I was able to do it without holding back. I will take it!
    Last edited by Catrin; 04-04-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Now I know why when I went to pick up my breast films and biopsy report they had it in a sealed envelope...so I wouldn't be tempted! ☺
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Now I know why when I went to pick up my breast films and biopsy report they had it in a sealed envelope...so I wouldn't be tempted! ☺
    Yep, that was it

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    On the OTHER hand, I had a great 37 minute intense kettlebell workout this morning that felt great. So my coach had to change two of the exercises in the kettlebell circuit to prevent pain - but I was able to do it without holding back. I will take it!
    That is GREAT news! Go Catrin!
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Yep, that was it
    They gave me a report in a sealed envelop once, I just opened it, figured it was mine I'd look at it if I wanted to.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    They gave me a report in a sealed envelop once, I just opened it, figured it was mine I'd look at it if I wanted to.
    That is exactly what I would have done

Happy Monday: Broken nose and knee injury

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Oh I could have. They seal it for HIPPA reasons I assume, but I know better than to open it. I would just obsess. If it hadn't been sealed I wouldn't have been able to resist. It's not like they think I'm not perfectly capable of opening some tape and glue.

I just know me. I know what I need to know at this point. I don't need to obsess and analyze something I'm not qualified to analyze in the first place.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Nose seems healed, and working hard on my knee recovery. I can still do about half of my usual fitness activities without pain - and thankfully most of those include kettlebells :-) Not quite brave enough to try hiking yet, but I don't think it is too far away. Will just need to resist the temptation to start out with a 5 mile hike on broken terrain

Glad you're mending! Feels like we might have some real spring weather so being out and about a little will be nice!

Electra Townie 7D

It's amazing how fast we heal, Catrin. Maybe a short hike next weekend, 1-2 miles, to test the knee?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    It's amazing how fast we heal, Catrin. Maybe a short hike next weekend, 1-2 miles, to test the knee?
    That will probably be a good idea - if they get me the new brace at PT that they discussed the other day. Today I did spend 25 minutes on the ArcTrainer. Level 1, wave setting which translates to very small changes in incline and much less resistance than I ordinarily use on that machine. It was fine :-) Not saying the knee is close to normal, but I can work with it!

My next goal is to get back to the KB Long Cycle (clean and jerk)!
    Last edited by Catrin; 04-12-2015 at 03:07 PM.

Glad you're healing! Definitely get some sunshine if you can, even if it's only sitting out ... it'll help your mood, besides vitamin D is so important for healing!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Glad you're doing better all the time, Catrin! :-)
    Emily

I took Crankin's suggestion & did a short hike today It was a three hours after my usual Sat morning KB group, and already over 70 degrees by early afternoon so I went for it. I hit dirt trails rather than pavement, and went to the most gentle trails I know with very little climbing. I didn't want to tax the knee more than needed. My phone is the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active and used a couple of the fitness features to keep track of my efforts/mileage/route mapping/etc. (Really surprised at how robust they were!). I had hoped for at least 1.5 miles, but I was back at my car at .85 mile - my knee was hurting by then. Seemed best to call it a day instead of forcing myself to hit an arbitrary distance. Thankful that I selected trails that didn't get me too far from my car as the crow flies, it helps that I chose a park I am very familiar with.

On one hand it was humbling that very easy hiking bothered my knee, but I am wearing a brace for a reason. I can work with this - just have to be smart. Thinking it might be good to get a hiking staff or something, once I am able to hit more challenging trails. At least I DO have a non-impact cardio option at my other gym, and I've learned what I can do with the kettlebells and what I need to avoid for now. All good!