Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    How are you feeling this morning?
    Feeling very thankful that I've a high pain threshold! Even with a broken nose my face isn't what I would call PAINFUL, it just feels weird. Got some knuckle band-aids and cut them to cover the open wounds on my nose yet not poke my eyeball. I am sure that I look like an abused woman at this point, starting to get a black eye.

The knee is a bit less painful - or at least more localized than it was (mainly back of the knee and the upper right outside corner). I am a LITTLE more mobile, but still can't walk properly. Couldn't sleep on that side either as the pressure made it hurt, and I am learning which movements cause pain. I live upstairs, getting downstairs is a challenge, going upstairs is little more difficult than walking in general. Upper hammie, IT band, etc in that leg is all complaining. I am afraid that I've damaged or torn my ACL (but I think that would be more painful?), or landed so hard on my already unstable patella that I've actually injured it. Time will tell. Only had one pain pill so far and from what I could tell, it didn't do much.

Much to my surprise my Workman's Comp Dr from yesterday just called me to check up on how I am doing. He is also concerned about my knee, but wanted to give it a couple days for some of the swelling to go down before he puts it through all of the manipulative tests to determine if anything else is required.

Thanks for checking in! One good thing about this, if there is a good thing, is my knee and face is taking most of my attention giving me little extra energy with which to stress over my DX mamograms and ultrasound (probably) Thursday morning!

I will ask about it, I had already thought about that.

The knee is much better than even this morning. My walking is better (still not perfect), though I am VERY aware of the patella. I am starting to think that if there is any real damage from yesterday, that it is in the actual patella rather than ligaments, time will tell. If I hit that unstable patella with as much force as my face...that might not be a surprise. At least today it doesn't feel like my knee is going to give out or lock up on me, yesterday it did feel that way.

So back to work tomorrow afternoon - depending on how I feel. I've a doctor's appointment and her office is just a few blocks from work. We will see how it goes and if I feel up to the walk from the parking garage.

Happy Monday: Broken nose and knee injury

I know it's hard, but try not to think about the mammo and ultrasound. Hopefully you'll get good news then and there.

And I hope that knee continues to improve quickly!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I know it's hard, but try not to think about the mammo and ultrasound. Hopefully you'll get good news then and there.

And I hope that knee continues to improve quickly!
    Not even thinking about the tests tomorrow. As far as the knee is concerned, it is becoming apparent that there is a problem as the more generalized pain and swelling subsides. There is pain when I just touch the upper right corner of my kneecap and the back of my knee gets painful quickly when walking. Others will need to determine if this is a cartilage/patella or ligament injury. Propping my lower leg up on my other knee hurts, I CANNOT lay on my back with my knees bent - sharp pain there. Even getting OUT of my car hurts, while getting in doesn't. Generally speaking it feels much better and it works better, but on the other hand, it is apparent I've a problem. Hopefully nothing that will need to be repaired.

I see MY doctor today to get the actual orders for tomorrow's scans, I am going to ask her to evaluate my knee as well. I must go through my employer's doctor but it would be good to have a better idea. As an osteopath I trust her.

OUCH!! Hopefully this finds you on the way to recovery and having all of the exams/tests behind you as well. Take care of yourself Catrin!!

Hugs to you, Catrin. Hope your DO can tell you something more, clinically - and that it's something that will heal with conservative treatment -

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Only had one pain pill so far and from what I could tell, it didn't do much.
    Everyone responds to meds differently, but my experience from my faceplant/double wrist sprain/diaphragm impact is that Aleve did way more good for that kind of traumatic pain than the Vicodin they gave me. I have the idea that you're like me, that you can be in all kinds of pain and not even realize it until the day you wake up and it's gone and it's like someone's removed a 500# weight from your body. But pain is exhausting even when you're suppressing the sensations from your consciousness, so IMO it's worth putting at least a little effort into finding something that relieves your pain.

Keep healing - I'm thinking about you.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Wishing you the best outcome out of that terrible fall. Being in pain, and not knowing how it will turn out, is always stressful.

I am also thinking of you, Catrin, and hope your Dr. appt. goes well today.
    I suspect that there a lot of us here who deal with pain differently than the majority. Perhaps it has to do with the "suffering" we endure when participating in things like riding and running.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Sure hope you're getting some relief. I blame all of this on this endless winter, if we could just see some sunshine and feel some warmth, things would be all better.

Electra Townie 7D

My DO thinks it is likely that I've simply really aggravated my "runners knee". She found no sign of ligament damage but doesn't like the swelling that remains. It is also true that knee is always swollen. I am going to try and get an MRI just to be safe but I feel better about it. The knee also continues to improve

That sounds very promising! I agree, get the MRI. Normally, I wouldn't push this, but the times I opted for this, it helped definitely rule out worse things.
    Just keep resting. Don't negate the healing process for your nose and face, so let the kettle bells rest.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

It is prudent, given the history of that knee. And yes, I am taking the full week off from all exercise. Hopefully back to it on Tuesday!

Hopefully he will agree with her diagnosis.

Headed shortly to my workman's comp medical appointment to get the knee checked out. Breast scans came out ok - in that while the nodule is still there, it hasn't grown much and I just need to get another diagnostic mammo next year.

Knee feels better...but there is still an obvious problem when I walk downstairs. Really hoping it is just from inflammation.
    Last edited by Catrin; 03-26-2015 at 06:40 AM.

Good news about your breast! Hope the news about your knee is good, too.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Hoping this stays on a positive track!
    Have a good rest of the day.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura