Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Let us know what you think once you've had a chance to try it out.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delayed reply - three months or so later and it turns out the 'stockist' I found was basically a $200 shop that went bankrupt and never had the rivet saddle so I am back to square one, and still in pain daily from my too-wide saddle. Any help please? Anna

Quote Originally Posted by annabanana2 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delayed reply - three months or so later and it turns out the 'stockist' I found was basically a $200 shop that went bankrupt and never had the rivet saddle so I am back to square one, and still in pain daily from my too-wide saddle. Any help please? Anna

How about a Selle Italia Turbomatic? They come with or without a cutout. The saddle is about 153 mm, but it is so domed that the usable area is much smaller. (I use a 155 Specialized Romin, and the Turbomatic is much too small for me).

It is very good for eliminating friction.

Too bad you are so far away, I have one I've been meaning to sell, it only has a couple hundred miles on it.

Here it is. Maybe Wiggle is a decent distributer for you. Also, you might look into Ribble.

Another possibility is the Monolink, which is designed to reduce friction.

Most women can't use such small saddles, you are lucky. The men's saddles tend to be more T-shaped.

Also, have you ever tried one of the Specialized Saddles in a smaller size? A 130 or 143 mm?
    Last edited by Muirenn; 06-02-2015 at 07:17 AM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    How about the Brooks C17? This is their non-leather saddle, made of rubber covered with canvas, and is available with or without a cutout (I needed the cutout, you may or may not). It is fairly T-shaped; I had some slight inner thigh chafing with a Selle Anatomica and have had none with the C17. It is quite firm, so be aware that it may make your butt sore at first if you are used to a softer saddle.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Thanks everyone,

Oh Shelia that is annoying! Seeing as I wasn't able to get my $200 back from the shop before it went bankrupt I have even less to spend now on a new saddle The turbomatic does look promising, I am just worried it would be too small like you say - if my sit bones are 135mm wide then would the turbo still be too small? Especially if my handlebars are pretty much level with my seat (I'm too nervous to go lower!). The c17 you mention Jolt looks good too, but the thing is I am very small (86lbs and not very tall, very petite) so the thought of having to break in a brooks saddle as they say i am concerned I would never be able to do, simply because I do not have enough weight on me! Can anyone weigh in (excuse the pun) on this aspect to brooks saddles? Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone,

Oh Shelia that is annoying! Seeing as I wasn't able to get my $200 back from the shop before it went bankrupt I have even less to spend now on a new saddle The turbomatic does look promising, I am just worried it would be too small like you say - if my sit bones are 135mm wide then would the turbo still be too small? Especially if my handlebars are pretty much level with my seat (I'm too nervous to go lower!). The c17 you mention Jolt looks good too, but the thing is I am very small (86lbs and not very tall, very petite) so the thought of having to break in a brooks saddle as they say i am concerned I would never be able to do, simply because I do not have enough weight on me! Can anyone weigh in (excuse the pun) on this aspect to brooks saddles? Thanks everyone
    If the outside distance is 135, it will probably be perfect.

Brooks saddles are available in pre-aged leathers, and sweat helps things break in. I think the main concern would be a saddle that is too long front to bac since the bike would be so small, it might feel like you were getting stabbed from behind while standing. Plus, it would take up a lot of the cockpit space. Unfortunately, the shorter saddles tend to be women's, and they tend to be wider.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 06-02-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    If the outside distance is 135, it will probably be perfect.

Brooks saddles are available in pre-aged leathers, and sweat helps things break in. I think the main concern would be a saddle that is too long front to bac since the bike would be so small, it might feel like you were getting stabbed from behind while standing. Plus, it would take up a lot of the cockpit space. Unfortunately, the shorter saddles tend to be women's, and they tend to be wider.
    How do I determine whether the 135mm I was told at the bike shop (using the specialized system) was the inner sit bone distance or the outside sit bone distance? And if my position on the bike is more upright and I ride mainly on the hoods, would that impact at all?

Post numbers 1, 7, 67, and 97.
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=39475

Also, read this. Scroll down and it describes how to measure.
    If you read more, I'd concentrate on page 7 onward.

Basically, as you lean forward, your sitbones pull together, shortening the distance.

Usually, people give the center to center distance, because it is easiest to read, but you actually need a saddle that is as close as possible to your outside distance. There are exceptions to this, like the Brooks and the Turbomatic.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 06-03-2015 at 07:14 AM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Actually, I'm going to say hold off on the leather saddle. For now.

The Selle Italia Monolink is 131 mm, which might work, and is designed to be 'friction free' in the area you need. Competitive Cyclist has a white version for 89.00, and they always take returns.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/se...edition-saddle

It looks like they have a 'special' where you can get a carbon seat post, high-end mono link saddle with carbon rails for about 300 dollars. Yuck. Ignore those! You can purchase the saddle on sale with no seat post. (heh, I've never recommended anyone on TE use this saddle, most of use can't fit on it. Too bad, cause it's a great saddle otherwise).

Future reference. A Selle Italia Turbomatic might work, even though it's 153 mm, because it's so domed that there is much less seating area than expected. And it's very T-shaped and friction free. It's available both with and without a cutout.

Just to verify: you are measuring the outside distance of your bones, and not the center to center, correct? If it is c to c, then you need something much wider.
    I'm just a bit confused; the saddle looks great but wouldn't I need the special mono link post to use it on my bike if I just have a standard two rail version?

I'm just a bit confused; the saddle looks great but wouldn't I need the special mono link post to use it on my bike if I just have a standard two rail version?
    You should contact Selle Italia and ask. I think there was an older version that did not come with a seat post. Regardless, you need to buy from somewhere that you can return it. I forgot about that when I mentioned it.

Between the two I mentioned, I'd try the Turbomatic, first. It's available with and without a cutout. Do you know if you need one? And Ribble Cycles and Wiggle both have it at a good price. You are in Queensland, correct?

The Turbo is firm. Promise.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 06-07-2015 at 04:33 AM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

You should contact Selle Italia and ask. I think there was an older version that did not come with a seat post. Regardless, you need to buy from somewhere that you can return it. I forgot about that when I mentioned it.

Between the two I mentioned, I'd try the Turbomatic, first. It's available with and without a cutout. Do you know if you need one? And Ribble Cycles and Wiggle both have it at a good price. You are in Queensland, correct?

The Turbo is firm. Promise.
    Yes in Queensland I've seen that Selle Italia now have a friction free range of their slr and flite saddles; would the flite friction free be better than the turbo in regards to the flatter back profile? I was measured again the other day at the bike shop who do specialized saddles and after much humming and harring he put me on a jett 130mm saddle which was okay - slightly narrow in the back but thin enough to get rid of the chafing, except my lady bits were a bit squished. Worried the turbo might be slightly too narrow with the curved back so would the flite friction free be a good alternative? The slr friction free might be a bit firm if I use my bike for commuting to uni a lot and can't wear shorts? Thanks Muireen - and yes you do need the special seat post
    Last edited by annabanana2; 06-07-2015 at 04:18 PM.

I suspect the Turbomatic would fit, but I can't guarantee that it would work for you. This is why I'm saying to get a saddle from a reputable source that allows you to return it.

I think the Flight is flatter than the Turbo, but I'm not positive.

If the 130 is too narrow in the rear, I'd check out saddles in the 135-140 range. (Except the Turbo, which is kind of different).

If you can make a saddle like the Turbomatic work, it's a great saddle.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 06-08-2015 at 10:43 AM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!