Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

E-cigarettes still dangerous

To disable ads, please log-in.

http://eatreadscience.com/2015/02/13...enses/#more-97

Blogger has a PhD in science.
    Sorry for dopey question, but does anyone know someone who has tried an e-cigarette??
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

One of my close friends' sons (28) smokes them. They think it's better than actually smoking, but deep down, I think they know it's bad.
    Quite a few of my clients have tried to use them to quit smoking, but it didn't work for any of them.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Without this article for the lst time, my reaction to e-cigarettes, is like my reaction to driverless cars of purpoted future: Whaattt? I hope driverless cars are never part of our permanent future. They need their own exclusive lane/road system!

By the way, Vancouver's transit Sky trains are driverless and have been for last few decades.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

My reaction to this is "and water is wet." Yes, I have family members who smoke them. The same ones whose father died from smoking related emphysema.

I actually hope driverless cars are available in the near future. Their safety record is, thus far, far superior to the average human - and they don't get distracted by texting/phone/kids/makeup/etc. I haven't heard anything suggesting they are dangerous - have you?
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    I haven't heard anything suggesting [driverless cars] are dangerous - have you?
    Just a couple of weeks ago Elon Musk himself said the Tesla's driverless system is not safe for residential neighborhoods. Which to me, means it's even less safe for anywhere else, since the kinds of things you'll encounter in residential neighborhoods are less frequent, but more devastating, when they happen on freeways (cops getting out of their cars to cite someone/check on a wreck; debris or animals in the road; etc.)

As far as vaping ... the article Shootingstar linked to admitted that the vapor contains a tiny fraction of the free radicals of tobacco smoke. Is it perfectly safe - of course not; is it much safer than actual smoking - so says the article; is it safer than alcohol, probably ...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Related to driverless cars, this op-ed on the role of airline pilots: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/10/op...stEmailed&_r=0

From one of the highlighted comments: "the fundamental role of a pilot is to exercise judgment." Something that AI is very far from being able to do in 2015. Do many drivers exhibit poor judgment, obviously they do, but I strongly believe that substituting no judgment in all cases for bad judgment in some cases, is a bad trade. Closely related to my opinion in the other thread, that conditioning cyclists NOT to follow the rules of the road, makes all modes of terrestrial transport more dangerous for everyone.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 04-10-2015 at 06:11 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Oak, I couldn't agree with you more. On Thursday, I saw a very old woman (she looked to be in her 80s), riding the wrong way in a residential neighborhood I was using as a cut through on my way home. This is a lovely place to ride, not a lot of cars. She was appropriately dressed, had a helmet, and 2 panniers on her bike. As I approached her, she stopped and pulled onto the grass. I wanted to say something, but I didn't. It was clear she had been shopping, this was just outside of the center of town. It frightens me to think how she was riding there, with lots of traffic, people getting off of the train, students crossing the street from the prep school that is there.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

If the equipment was in good service and in good repair... Well I sure hate to have blue screen of death going down the freeway at 70MPH and there is rubbernecking ahead. I notice my cell phone keeps reformatting or re doing the indexes for the music. Some of the mp3 files on them have been corrupted. bad music with strange noise being generated is annoying but I hate to think of consequences if that should happen to an auto piloted car.

e-cigarettes, hmmm no smoke but what about the other stuff like nicotine. It's not just the tar.

In norwegian there's a saying "when the best becomes the enemy of the good". Not sure what the English equivalent is. Not smoking is best, but e-cigarettes are still better than smoking regular cigarettes, in many ways. Like riding a bike is best, but riding a pedal-assist electric bike is a lot better than driving a car. But it's unfair to measure the "better" against the "best". Big transitions are hard, but smaller transitions can get you there too.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett