Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Angry Am I overreacting?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm feeling kind of pissed off. A male friend of mine who works at a bike shop as a mechanic/salesperson, sent me a pic of their store mannequin (a woman dressed in cycling gear) with dollar bills sticking out of her shorts and unzipped jersey. His subject line was "enterpreneur" and underneath the pic, it said "shameful". I know he was just joking, but...still. I responded by saying, "Instead of wasting your time dressing up a female cyclist as a stripper, why not read this article instead?" and then attached an article about sexism, ignorance and fear in sports. Now that I've typed this, I DON'T feel like I over-reacted. He should feel ashamed of himself for sexualizing a female cyclist, even if it was just a mannequin. It's the principle!!
    She's going the distance...

[COLOR="Red"]
    '14 Orbea Orca Dama, Specialized Jett
    '10 Giant Avail
    '87 Schwinn Cimarron, Brooks B17
    Trek mountain bike...don't know what year

Definitely tacky. See if he does the same with a male mannequin. If not, then it's clearly sexist BS.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

At best it's juvenile and clueless.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Definitely in poor taste.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I'd be pissed, too.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Good for you for speaking up!
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Ew. Glad you said something.

I don't quite understand the "shameful," though. What do you think he meant by that? Or was it some meme I don't recognize?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I would see it as offensive without too much thinking if I saw it in a bike shop as a display.….if sexist words came up I could be vocal to just below the crazy level if needed.

With some one I know, and the first time, I wouldn’t have replied to the photo. I’d be curious and wait for a conversation on what that meant to them.

From someone who sees a lot of street art and has photographed some strange mannequins ……that could be in a window of a thrift shop in downtown LA….and I’d really like to photograph it and talk to whoever did it. could be an interesting conversation, I’ve had some unexpected ones. Could end quickly and I’m gone. maybe some learning…..perhaps just a good photograph and/or a good visual example of sexism to use to start conversations. Could you post a link to or the photo?
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 03-10-2015 at 05:32 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Rebecca is right, really. Hard to know what he meant. Maybe someone else in the shop did it and he was criticizing that. I'd be interested to hear if you find out, Buffybike.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    Rebecca is right, really. Hard to know what he meant. Maybe someone else in the shop did it and he was criticizing that. I'd be interested to hear if you find out, Buffybike.
    That's a good point...would explain why the word "shameful" was there, if somebody else had made the display and he was expressing his opinion about it.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

The display is definitely offensive -- was "shameful" his opinion, though? Maybe you can talk to him about it. Internet communication is imperfect sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Ew. Glad you said something.

I don't quite understand the "shameful," though. What do you think he meant by that? Or was it some meme I don't recognize?
    I'm pretty sure he was making a joke of himself in that what he did was "shameful". Pretty much like saying, "I know this sounds racist, but...". I'd post the picture he sent, but I already deleted it.
    Last edited by buffybike; 03-11-2015 at 08:28 AM.
    She's going the distance...

[COLOR="Red"]
    '14 Orbea Orca Dama, Specialized Jett
    '10 Giant Avail
    '87 Schwinn Cimarron, Brooks B17
    Trek mountain bike...don't know what year

The bigger question is, if he thought it shameful, did he get the display taken down?
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Guys used to do things to try to make me embarassed. Just because they have advanced engineering degree doesn't make them immune from such sophmoric behavior. I used to taunt them in return. Only one guy was willing to try spar with me verbally.

me: so are you a boob kind a guy or butt kind.
    you really want a stripper as your GF? You think you can handle one?
    and few other things.

only one guy shot back at me grinning saying he liked both boob and butts. I couldn't get him to be embarassed.

Don't get mad! Embarass and shame them to no end.

My partner suggested that you should take a dollar bill out the mannequin's pants and tell the boys that you found a dollar bill in the panties "finders keepers losers weepers" or leave an IOU note in its place.