Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...

Just signed up for D2R2 this summer!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Has anyone here done it? I signed up for the 100k route...was thinking about just doing the 40 miler since it will be my first time, but decided to aim higher and challenge myself. Would be interested in any tips from people who have done it before, or even done similar kinds of dirt road rides. Looks like it is time to find some dirt roads up here to train on (once things thaw out).
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Congrats, Jolt! I have never done the D2R2 (it typically conflicts with something else on my calendar), but have done PLENTY of NE gravel road riding/racing. In fact, my first gravel race is coming up on March 29, and then another on April 11!

The big thing to consider will be tires and pressure. Put the widest tires you can manage on your bike, and run the highest pressure you can. D2R2 is notorious for flats! So that said, make sure you also carry extra tubes (many people only ever carry 1, but on gravel rides, I will typically carry at least 2 tubes and a PUMP). The 100K will be doable, but be prepared for some pretty decent elevation as well. There are plenty of great training grounds in ME with both gravel AND elevation, and you have plenty of time between now and then. I typically spend some good amount of time in Bethel in the summer, so would love to connect for a ride at some point over the summer if you are interested.

Nutrition and hydration for me in these races isn't necessarily a big issue, but I don't run the norm (that is, right now, I can go out and ride 3-4 hours and eat 1/2 a Clif Bar and less than a 1/4 bottle of water). There are usually good rest areas where you can refuel on all of these rides, and you usually also occasionally pass a store where you might be able to purchase food/drink if you need it.

The most important, IMO, is to connect with a small group of similar riders and to share the experience together. In big rides like D2R2, this selection often happens naturally, and you will make some great friends while you enjoy what I've heard is beautiful scenery, and an awesome ride.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like you know some good places to train...I would definitely be interested in hearing about them (there is plenty of good paved road riding down here in York County but not much gravel that I know of). The widest tires I could manage on my bike would be upwards of 2" (being a Surly, "fatties fit fine", haha)...would I be correct in thinking that is probably overkill? The tires on it right now are 1.5" wide. As far as getting together for a ride, that might be fun but I'm not sure you would want to ride with me given my lack of speed, especially if you race etc. Maybe if you treat it as an easy recovery ride...otherwise you might really be frustrated!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Let me investigate some of the gravel in relative proximity to you . I assumed you were talking road bikes, where I would have tried for a 35mm or 40 mm tire. If you are planning on an MTB, then yes, 2" is overkill - the 1.5" are going to work fine.

[rant on] Just because I sometimes race does not mean that I don't play nicely with others. I LOVE to ride my bike - at whatever speed/pace. I do not follow a prescribed training plan, and simply love the joy of sharing my passion with other people who share my passion. So yes, let's ride! [rant off] Sorry - clearly you can see this has been an issue for me. Seriously - I just LOVE to ride, and if you want to go out on a ride, we go at YOUR pace and YOUR distance. I am just happy to share the experience!

SheFly

Quote Originally Posted by SheFly View Post
    Let me investigate some of the gravel in relative proximity to you . I assumed you were talking road bikes, where I would have tried for a 35mm or 40 mm tire. If you are planning on an MTB, then yes, 2" is overkill - the 1.5" are going to work fine.

[rant on] Just because I sometimes race does not mean that I don't play nicely with others. I LOVE to ride my bike - at whatever speed/pace. I do not follow a prescribed training plan, and simply love the joy of sharing my passion with other people who share my passion. So yes, let's ride! [rant off] Sorry - clearly you can see this has been an issue for me. Seriously - I just LOVE to ride, and if you want to go out on a ride, we go at YOUR pace and YOUR distance. I am just happy to share the experience!

SheFly
    Thanks for that clarification...I will be riding my LHT and figured you were probably talking about regular road bikes rather than touring bikes that can take some pretty fat tires. And sorry if my previous post came across badly...I certainly didn't intend to imply that you "don't play nice with others". I just meant that there will obviously be a big difference in speed, and not everybody enjoys riding with people who are a lot slower.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Jolt - sorry to rant. I just wanted to make the point that I love to ride with ANYONE. It wasn't you, it was me.

SheFly