Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

This morning on my way to yoga, I saw a middle-aged man in scruffy clothes standing near a convenient store smoking a cigarette, leaning on his bicycle.

A pastel green, step-through cruiser with a huge white saddle.

Basic, cheap transportation. Somehow I doubt he thought he looked fashionable.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I rode a cruiser on Hilton Head Island, on the beach. Was great when going with the wind, not so great when I had to ride back! My knees hurt for 2 weeks after that.
    When I went with DH to buy my first road bike, I had been riding a modified mountain bike for almost 2 years. I was fit. The first 3 bikes the guy brought out to show me were flat bar road bikes/hybrids. I said to him, "What part of road bike don't you understand?" All of those flat bar bikes were nice, but not what I wanted. He made a lot of assumptions.
    I refused to go to Landry's for anything after i made that purchase.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

The "fun" part of cruisers aside (there's definitely a place for them!)--

When I was selling bikes, most of the women who bought bikes bought hybrids. I worked there for a year. I can only remember 4 women who bought road bikes. In 2 cases, she was with her husband or significant other who was also into cycling, In one, both she and the husband bought road bikes together, with similar specs. That leaves only one case where a woman came in looking for a road bike by herself. The one she wanted was entry-level. The reason we didn't have any really nice women's bikes (unless by some miracle one sneaked onto the truck)? No one ever bought one. Most of the time, that went for the nicer hybrids as well--the vast majority of them were bought by men. Most of the bikes I sold to women were the step-through hybrid/cruiser things.

Oh, I think there may be many reasons for it. Many of the cruiser sales were probably "I want to ride with the kids/in the neighborhood/on the bike path sometimes." OK, that's cool. I feel like many of the women I talked to didn't want to spend a ton of money on it. Maybe it's the idea that a bike, in the suburbs, is a toy and you don't need anything fancy. Maybe there's some concern about whether or not they'll use it enough to justify spending the extra money. I think lph's point about status/object is valid. "I don't need a fancy bike" is also code for "I don't think I'm athletic enough to warrant a fancy bike." I think men are more likely to say "Yeah, I'm awesome, I'll buy that!"
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I love my Townie so much! Got the seven speed because of my knee, it's helpful for going over the bridge to the beach. All in all its the most fun and practical bike I've ever owned; put some Basil panniers on it, a basket, and an adorable bell and it's my beach/farmers market/grocery store daily runner. And it's coral and teal!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bikes_zps2ab6963f.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	17577
    Last edited by Pax; 03-07-2015 at 07:22 AM.

Electra Townie 7D

And burgers at The Breakers!

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    And burgers at The Breakers!
    You know it!! I think they put crack in them or something, best burgers EVER!

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    That's beautiful!

I think at my height I'd probably want the men's version. Stiffer and easier for me to pedal. But that's a beautiful setup.
    Thanks Muirenn! And you're right, a taller woman would probably be happier on a men's cruiser if she were going to buy or rent one. But for my height, the women's version is great. I "upgraded" to a narrower saddle with springs, and it was funny, the little Mexican shop guy kept showing me these super WIDE-AZZ saddles, and I was like "NO". I insisted on a skinnier one that he was sure was not going to be just awful, but truth be told, the little cheapy, non-leather saddle (but with springs...YES!) is the first time I've been able to ride a non-cutout saddle without severe crotch problems. Sure, we haven't ridden over 20 miles at a time, but this saddle is super comfy for short distances!

I <3 my beach cruiser. (Someone had to be the contrary one here, right?!)
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    I love my Townie so much! Got the seven speed because of my knee, it's helpful for going over the bridge to the beach. All in all its the most fun and practical bike I've ever owned; put some Basil panniers on it, a basket, and an adorable bell and it's my beach/farmers market/grocery store daily runner. And it's coral and teal!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bikes_zps2ab6963f.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	17577
    Adorable, Pax!

Living in a totally flat are really does make all the difference. I would never, ever consider a cruiser in the vast majority of places I've lived or visited before, but in some spots, they just work.
    Emily

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I did try a bikeshare bike (Bixi) in Vancouver...when they were demo which Toronto has acquired the fleet. Nope. I hated the heavy bike which didn't fit me anyway.

I live in a prairie city which overall....is flatter than Vancouver and Toronto but still has some long hills. We get chinook winds often from the Rocky Mountain areas which is a weather phenomena in our part of Canada...warm winds that blow 40-60 km. per hr. The winds blow in several times per month. For whatever reason, the winds when they come tend to kick up late afternoon and blow east....when I'm leaving work. So it becomes a headwind...

No, Electra, Townie, whatever no heavy cruiser bike for me. I would start to hate cycling..

I don't ride any road bikes with drop down handlebars. I have and ride several hybrid bikes. Even into my elder years, I can always see myself wanting a light, geared bike to help myself enjoy my ride slowly. Both Toronto and Vancouver have bike racks on buses and so I must be able to lift the bike onto rack by myself. Some of the cruiser bike configurations would be tougher for shortie me, to get onto a bike bus rack.

But great if it works well for you and you make frequent use of a cruiser bike.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 03-07-2015 at 02:01 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I weighed my hybrid this morning, just for grins, before heading out to the farmers' market. I underestimated: it was 41#, the rear tire felt low, and even with a full compost bin on the way out and full grocery bags on the way back, it still felt quite a bit lighter than the share bike (which looks pretty much the same as the bikes in other cities that I've seen but haven't ridden).

I have a feeling the extra weight is mostly in the share bikes' wheels. Stands to reason they'd be super bulletproof - not that the wheels on my hybrid aren't, but a friend of DH's did trash one of the wheels on his similar hybrid, jumping curbs we assume, and I expect they want share bikes' wheels to be able to stand up to that and worse. Not least because the front wheel has to be at least more or less true to go back into the docking station!

Can't remember how many internal gears Columbus' share bikes have, but at least three and maybe five. Not single-speed, anyway.

FWIW, it seems to me that the heavier the bike, the *less* it's affected by wind. Maybe it just seems more miserable when you're going more slowly overall ... You're obviously less aerodynamic in an upright riding position, but that's riding position and not weight. With more weight, you've got better momentum, and your profile to the wind isn't affected by weight. In crosswinds, you'll be way more stable. And FWIW, it seems to me that wherever you are, you get either hills or wind, not sure there's anywhere where there's neither. Hills are the reason that wind inland *isn't* as brutal as it is in flat coastal regions ...
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 03-07-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I agree the bikeshare bike's weight tends to be in the wheels area, as related to part of the bike station's security system.

My hybrid that I have been using most daily for last few years where I live, is approx. 29 lbs. and I have 38 mm wide Schwable commuting tires @ 70 psi. My dahon folding bike is around 21 lbs. or less. It has an internal hub, plus front and back racks. (I know weight weenies criticize the internal hub system for this....) Both bikes I have each lifted, onto bus bike rack over the years.

Honest, with these chinook high winds that often push through, I like riding with my weighted panniers to ..stay upright on bike with the strong crosswinds depending how the route curves and turns.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 03-07-2015 at 04:59 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    FWIW, it seems to me that the heavier the bike, the *less* it's affected by wind. Maybe it just seems more miserable when you're going more slowly overall ... You're obviously less aerodynamic in an upright riding position, but that's riding position and not weight. With more weight, you've got better momentum, and your profile to the wind isn't affected by weight. In crosswinds, you'll be way more stable. And FWIW, it seems to me that wherever you are, you get either hills or wind, not sure there's anywhere where there's neither. Hills are the reason that wind inland *isn't* as brutal as it is in flat coastal regions ...
    It's very true that you're less affected by wind on a heavy cruiser bike than on a light racing bike, but according to my DH who understands the physics of it all, that's because you're traveling much slower (which ultimately is mostly due to the weight of the bike but also your position on it). The slower you go, the less wind is a factor. Maybe that's why riding a cruiser bike here in windy Playa del Carmen works out pretty well for me. On a go-fast bike I'd probably wail about the wind like I always do in the US, but here it's a relatively minor factor.
    Emily

I see a number of people on cruisers, and they look fine to me. If they are cycling mostly in Manhattan and Brooklyn, they aren't encountering many hills and don't need to go fast. I tried a bike-share bike and didn't love the weight or the low gears (I almost fell over), but people seem to find them acceptable for short distances, which is how they are generally used. They weigh 45 pounds.

When I was bike shopping (at age 55), I didn't encounter any salespeople who steered me toward cruisers. One person even said "When you are ready for a road bike..."
    Last edited by PamNY; 03-09-2015 at 01:28 PM.

Beautiful cruiser--I'd definately take that to the beach!
    She's going the distance...

[COLOR="Red"]
    '14 Orbea Orca Dama, Specialized Jett
    '10 Giant Avail
    '87 Schwinn Cimarron, Brooks B17
    Trek mountain bike...don't know what year

Quote Originally Posted by buffybike View Post
    Beautiful cruiser--I'd definately take that to the beach!
    Not a cruiser but my commuter is/was along those lines. Heavy as heck but so fun to ride. Always had a big smile on my face. But it is heavy, slow, and slow as all get out on hills. One could say it's an impractical bike but it is/was equipped to haul anything. Possibly could do bike overnights on it as long as speed is no object.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/