Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whew! Benign.

Whew! Benign.

To disable ads, please log-in.

About a month ago I felt some suspicious lumps, pain in my left breast. I scheduled an appointment with my physician, and he referred me to mammography at Hollings Cancer Center, even though he felt everything appeared normal. That is where I always go, I have a family history including my mother, who had stage 3 breast cancer and later bone cancer. Her mom. Aunts. Etc. Hollings Cancer Center is 72 miles from my home. But, whatever. MUSC is better than the middle of the sticks SC for treatment. Just before my appointment, I couldn't find a parking spot. I was in a hurry and caught my hand underneath the parking brake as I stood, and hyper-extended my fingers, palm, and wrist. Felt it all the way up my arm. Had to go to the appointment in pain, and apparently ice packs are hard to find at Hollings, because they couldn't locate one for me. The appointment revealed a 2.2 cm mass on the ultra sound, but nothing on the mammogram. So...they scheduled a biopsy for a week later. After the appointment, I went to the nearby VA hospital ER and got x-rays and a brace for my hand so I could drive home. (Sh*t, that hurt). On the way out of that parking garage, I got turned around, and had to make a huge line of cars wait on me as I very confusedly figured out where to go. Next, I went to Earth Fare (similar to Whole Foods), and tried to buy a slice of pizza. (I only have pizza from EF or WF, and they are not close to my home). The guy in front of me bought the entire pie. Wouldn't let me buy even one piece. But offered to 'share' it with me.

Uh. No.

The jerk ate in the dining area, so it's not like he HAD to buy every piece. I ended up getting something else. Wasn't going to wait 30 minutes for another pizza to be ready. I was starving! (Huh. At least it gave me something other than ultrasound results to focus on).

Finally made it home. Went back a week later for the biopsy--last Friday. (Ouch. That was deep. They had to get the ultra sound tech to come in and help the doc find it, initially). The procedure took somewhere between 45 minutes to an hour. Which I'm guessing is a long time. (Yeah. Still hurts). My local doctor's office was supposed to call me yesterday, but I guess they thought MUSC would tell me, and he called today just in case. So, another day waiting for the results. I was going to call this afternoon if he didn't.

Anyway! It's benign. But my follow-ups will be every 6 months until I don't know when. I thought I'd feel that release you get with relief. But I guess I've been so stressed, and maybe in pain from the procedure, (plus, my wrist still hurts) that that hasn't happened. I know it's good, though! Just going to take a little to recover from the scare. (No offense to anyone that has had to go through this and it wasn't benign). That process really was stressful. Not sure how I would have been able to go 72 miles for treatment. Don't really have anyone that could drive me during a work day.

I read these posting from other TE'ers that have gone through this, and rarely comment. I've known and lost so many people to cancer, I just start to freeze up when I see the word. I feel bad for even posting this. But. I couldn't not.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 03-04-2015 at 11:37 AM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

So glad you got good results! I also don't usually comment on these threads because, frankly, I have no relatives or closer friends who have had any kind of cancer, other than the run of the mill skin issues, and I just don't like hearing about this sh*t. I kind of freeze, like you. My worries always center around cardiovascular stuff. It sounds like your trip to the place was really stressful! That guy sure was an azzhole.
    Of course, this means I'll probably get struck by lightning now, so I'll give this whole conversation a kein-a-hora.
    That probably doesn't need translating, but, just in case, "the evil eye."
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Glad to hear all went well! I don't have a family history, but I did find a large painful lump in my left breast this weekend.

I'm sitting in the ultrasound and mammo place right now waiting for my appointment. My doc thinks it's a cyst, but there's no way to know for sure until the tests are done so of course my mind has gone through all the possibilities. Here's to hoping I get good news as well.

I'm sorry you have to go through the every 6 month thing though. I know that's stressful.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I'm glad it was benign. Too bad it took so much stress and pain to reach the diagnosis. I hope your wrist is better soon.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Glad to hear all went well! I don't have a family history, but I did find a large painful lump in my left breast this weekend.

I'm sitting in the ultrasound and mammo place right now waiting for my appointment. My doc thinks it's a cyst, but there's no way to know for sure until the tests are done so of course my mind has gone through all the possibilities. Here's to hoping I get good news as well.

I'm sorry you have to go through the every 6 month thing though. I know that's stressful.
    Sending good thoughts to you. I read your thread, but didn't comment because I was awaiting my own results, and was frankly too freaked out to say anything.

I try not to go through the possibilities. It's so hard, though.

Thanks Crankin and NY.

In 2010, my 27 year old friend was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. She was dead about 4 months later. (she never smoked. Who looks for that issue in one so young?) So many others I know have gone through treatment. But hers was an intense, short fight. Then it was over.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

I don't blame you one bit for being freaked. I'm so glad it turned out well for you and thanks for the positive thoughts. I truly believe it's going to be fine.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post

Should just be ultrasounds and mammography. Hopefully. Let us know what happens with the appointment.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

Whew, muirenn...relieved for you!

I'm mad at the guy who took the whole pizza. What a jerk!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Whew, muirenn...relieved for you!

I'm mad at the guy who took the whole pizza. What a jerk!
    Thanks, Emily!

As for the pizza guy, I know, right? Insult to injury, bad end to bad day, or whatever cliche you care to add. I had fun glaring at him from across the dining room.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

So glad it was benign!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Wow, so glad you got good news!

Electra Townie 7D

How is your wrist?
    I fell my first day skiing in the Methow Valley, and while I didn't quite sprain my wrist, I definitely strained the whole metacarpal area of my hand. It hurt like hell the first night, and now it just aches a little. So, I really sympathize with your whole sequence of events after you left the appointment.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Happy to read such good news.

I have to book my own. Been waiting for over 2 years to redo one. Last time I went was for my breast reduction. And they could not see through a dark dense mark. So I had to go up to ultrasound and it was just normal cyst like every woman has. That doctor took the time to show me all of them, in the 2 breasts. He did not have to. He was nice. He said it was not a show stopper for my reduction.

Then I met my surgeon and said he'd better remove that one while I was under the knife. haha We'll see if it was out when I can finally decide to book that one.

I read 2 weeks ago that breast tests are the most stressed tests in over 90% of women. No kidding!

Yeah, when I go to the local breast center, the employees all talk in hushed tones and it feels like you're already condemned to a death sentence! I hate that part. Once you actually get in the room with the technician, it's a little better.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Yeah, when I go to the local breast center, the employees all talk in hushed tones and it feels like you're already condemned to a death sentence! I hate that part. Once you actually get in the room with the technician, it's a little better.
    I've never minded regular screenings. I got my first at age 29 due to family history. Really was convinced they'd find something that first time! It's never fun to be called back, with happened in 2010. This year really wearied me. It's going to take a few more days to recover mentally and physically.

My hand and wrist are healing. But still sprained.

Kind of sounds like an interesting joke, how I ended up in a hand brace during a breast screening.

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. It does make e feel better.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!