Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

March cycling: In like the Lion of Flanders, out like...?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Meteorological spring began yesterday and on occasion I can feel the itch of pollen in my eyes, but we're mostly still in the grip of winter here. I am hoping to get outside for a bike ride this weekend, when (if the forecast holds) it will be colder than average but sunny.

What about everyone else?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

A persistent ridge of high pressure has had sunny skies overhead since Friday, and staying that way for the foreseeable future--astonishing considering that this time of year usually has constant damp and moss growth behind the ears...

On Sunday, my dad, husband, and I rode around on Vashon Island. It's beautiful riding, mostly quiet roads (some so little trafficked that they are green with moss. I was kinda only sorta kidding about the moss growth behind the ears...) where you're watching for deer as much as for cars. It's also challenging riding, as the island is approximately a 450 foot high plateau, and as the road goes toward and away from the water, you can lose or gain those 450 feet pretty quickly. Though my dad had never ridden on Vashon before, last summer he plotted a challenging route around the island and sent it to me as a "check this out!"--I then went and actually rode his route, and thought many dark thoughts towards him along the way. So on Sunday I made sure to detour to a couple of the *really* special hills that I had encountered on his route. And I made sure to point out that they were his idea.

We had a really fun time!

It also makes me really happy to be able to get out and ride with my dad (and my husband) like this. About three years ago, the arthritis in his knee was getting bad enough that he was having to walk with a cane--which really put a crimp in his lifestyle, since he loves hiking, snowshoeing, skiing, etc. His doctor said that exercise would actually help his kind of arthritis, so he got a little bike machine that he could pedal while sitting in his easy chair. Then he started feeling a little better, so started doing short rides on his bike. And felt better, and started doing longer rides on his bike. Fast forward to last year, and he did a hilly century with us, which was the longest he had ridden his bike since I was a kid. He also rode up some mountain passes with us, and has spent the winter emailing with me about what mountains and other challenging rides are the ones he has to be sure to get done this year. And so I ignore him when we're out riding together and he complains about an upcoming hill "I'm 66 years old, you know!"

And I'm not sure he knows where his cane is. He's also talked about training his hiking up to summit Mt. Rainier (another thing he did when I was a kid). He's said before that when he did that, he was in the best shape of his life--and watching him on the bike the last couple years, I can well believe he's getting there again.

Anyway, it was a beautiful and fun day of cycling, made more special by being out with my dad. And my husband--he's pretty awesome too.
    Last edited by khg; 03-03-2015 at 09:56 PM.
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com

khg....that post made a huge smile spread across my face

Hoping your father feels the happiness in your spirit when you’re riding with him!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

KHG, What a lovely ride report. Thanks for sharing that. I've been struggling with extreme allergies to alder pollen and the wonderful little virus Dh brought home from work,so I've actually been cursing our fine weather. Did manage a short ride on the Centennial trail yesterday, and was gasping like a fish out of water, even after using the array of inhalers at my disposal.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Temperatures are finally getting out of the Arctic zone here, but there is so much snow/melting, that for the first time since I started riding, I am wondering if I will be able to start in March.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks rebeccaC!

Lauraelmore, though I don't have allergies, even I have had a few days where I'm thinking "stupid #*^%ing flowers and growing things!"--especially when I'm wearing my contacts and an entire tree's worth of pollen flies into my eyes... Matthew Inman, who does The Oatmeal comic (and lives in the PNW), put it best with his comic captioned "Winter is when an ocean of miserable water gushes out of the sky. Spring is when an ocean of miserable water gushes out of my face."
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com

Here in MI we just exited our coldest Feb. ever -- average temp for the month was a whopping 13. And the snow banks are still as tall as our mailbox with a good 2' cover on our lawn. Still too cold to ride without wearing an unreasonable amount of gear...but next week we're supposed to have a few days in the low 40s, so we're going to hopefully manage our first trek out. Hoping some of the gravel roads will not be too icy, since we have a really brutal gravel road race in ~3 weeks and haven't been on our tandem in a whole lotta months. My training has taken a back burner to weight loss and DH has only recently been cleared to ride again after a lengthy bunionectomy surgery recovery.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Khg, I love The Oatmeal. I've seen the comic you mentioned and totally relate!

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Getting in some of the nicest cycling weather in Arizona- did 41 miles on Saturday with my women's cycling club and Sunday I rode up Mt. Lemmon almost to milepost 16. I started from home and it's 5 miles to the base - so I had nearly 50 for the day, but met my husband for lunch at one of the regular cycling hangouts in Tucson - "Le Buzz" cafe. I enjoyed a slice of quiche and a light mocha and part of a cookie afterward.

It was my first serious climbing day in a while. The two brevets I've done had over 4000 feet of climbing but it was spread over 200k. Mt. Lemmon is just up, up, up and I had about 4500 feet of ascending, mostly in about 16 miles. My two friends went to the top, but I was feeling a little chilly after we got over 6000 feet with the clouds and breeze- and I had other plans for later in the day, so I headed down.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    Getting in some of the nicest cycling weather in Arizona-
    same here....no climbing for me this weekend though.

Rode into downtown L.A. for a day of riding and photography. The Ballona Creek and the Expo Line bike paths take me the 17 miles from the beach to the USC campus downtown and then just a couple of miles of city roads into the arts district and then the industrial area. Sundays are a good day to be biking in those areas of downtown as there is very little traffic in the industrial areas and few cars parked in the arts district, which makes it easier to photograph some of the street art there.
    Met a friend, who lives downtown, at the Urth Caffe in the arts district for lunch (a hummus and tabouli salad for me). I had a great time just riding and looking for images. I rode home in time to see the last early sunset at the beach as daylight savings time changes it. 57 miles total in perfect weather.

Last edited by rebeccaC; 03-10-2015 at 07:38 AM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

We had gorgeous weather in North Georgia all weekend, sunny with highs in the 60s. I rode 38 miles on Saturday (my longest since I broke my wrist in December) and 16 on Sunday. I was in heaven.
    She's going the distance...

[COLOR="Red"]
    '14 Orbea Orca Dama, Specialized Jett
    '10 Giant Avail
    '87 Schwinn Cimarron, Brooks B17
    Trek mountain bike...don't know what year

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    First (short) ride of the season yesterday...rode to the bike co-op to volunteer for the afternoon, then back home. Not even a 6-mile round trip but it was a nice sunny 45-degree day and the roads going there had enough of the snowbanks melted that it felt OK to ride (the potholes on one street on the other hand...UGH). I brought home a lot of sand though...next time should rinse the bike off a little before bringing it in the house. It was also the first ride with the Power Grips that I finally got around to installing. Not sure I am going to like them (especially around town, since getting in and out complicates starting and stopping) but will do some adjusting and give it a chance. I felt like they were keeping my feet turned in a little which didn't feel right, so will loosen them a little and see if that helps.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I've been riding all winter - lots of fat bike riding on snow, and lots of cold temperatures.

But yesterday? A balmy 45 degrees! No winter mittens, no bulky tights, no down jacket... It was, however, WET! By the time I got home, everything was soaked, and VERY gritty. Bike got a wash and the clothes have now been through the machine twice. Given the reports I'd heard of the road conditions (MA is only 1.9 inches from setting an overall snow record) - narrow roads, puddles hiding pot holes, etc - I opted for the bike path, with just a short venture onto some very quiet roads to get some elevation. So nice to be able to ride outdoors with less gear, and without needing lights!

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

I so want to ride, but I am not ready to face the craters in the roads. I can deal with wetness, dirt, and even cars on narrowed roads. I am telling myself the season is long and another week or two won't kill me, but now is the time I wish I still had a mountain bike. I did notice that the roads in Acton seem less impaired than in Concord, and I saw some crews already filling in potholes this morning.
    I am going on a hike with a friend this afternoon, and since it will be colder the next few days, I won't feel as bad about not riding.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Another beautiful day here in the northeast, and despite a short time frame, I managed to squeeze in a quick ride after work. Opted for the bike path again thinking that it would be safer than the roads (flooding, potholes, traffic), and instead found that spring has brought out the oblivious people - ear buds turned loud enough to not be able to hear, do walkers on one side, dog on the other with leash in between, swerving toddlers, cranky pedestrians (really? The sun is shining and you don't have to dress like an Eskimo!). Oh, and the path was a veritable basin of great lakes joined by raging rivers. I think I may have been safer on the roads...

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com