Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Cycling With Thyroid Issues?

To disable ads, please log-in.

After a couple of years of complaining to a regular doc and getting nothing about lack of energy, breathing problems, exhaustion and other issues I finally have a diagnosis of hypothyroidism. I knew I wasn't crazy. No one can ride for 3 years and still be exhausted going up the same hills, sleeping for hours afterwards, being sick, headaches and other issues. I've been envious of you because of what you've all accomplished and I've never even come close. It took going to a neurologist for a checkup of epilepsy and some pain I thought might be neurological to know exactly what the problem was, got some tests done and put on a thyroid med.

I got really sick in December with a swollen neck and figured it would go away and the symptoms subsided. I hadn't been on a bike since spring after selling for fat bike to pay bills and road construction all summer. I didn't realize how bad things were until I put my bike out on the trainer and the pain started up again. Regular doc put me on an antibiotic and it helped for a couple of weeks. I haven't seen a neurologist in 10 years since my epilepsy is controlled and I've been seizure free for 5 years. I just felt strongly that I probably needed a basic check up and ask about muscle pain that couldn't be explained.

Thankfully I don't have cancer, but my levels doubled in a week's time from two blood tests, a 4 to an 8..whatever that means. Doc said it would take at least a month for me to notice a difference and up to three to be "normal". The worst day was when I was lying in bed with two blankets and a space heater and still freezing.

It's been about three weeks and I've started to feel better but my energy comes and goes. Today was a good day. Right now I've only been doing 10 minute rides a couple of days a week.

Any suggestions on riding with a bummed out thyroid? Thanks!

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in 1997 or 1998 after having my child. (It's not uncommon to have an autoimmune issue pop up after pregnancy). Anyway I suggest you give yourself time to get the dosage right and adjust before reading too much into any continuing issues. It may take a while to get to normal.

I find with fluctuations in my weight (depending on hos much I am riding, etc.), I need to self adjust my dosage, but I've been doing this a while so I know what feels right. You need to get used to how you feel, get tested regularly and make sure things are normalizing.

I do ultra endurance rides with absolutely no problem now, and have for years. The thyroid is not an issue at all unless I gain weight and the dosage gets "behind".

Good luck.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

It's been over a month or so and I can't tell you how much better I feel. It's like a whole new world has opened up both mentally and physically. The amount of energy I have is unbelievable.

I got my bike out, cleaned her up, put new bar tape and pedals on and she's been a dream to ride. My son took one look at the purple bar tape and said, "Ewww. You made it a girl's bike. That's disgusting". Love the new pedals.

Bought a heart rate monitor last week. What a wake-up call on overdoing it. What I thought was "normal" is "you're trying to kill yourself". I've made adjustments to my riding and it's improved my skills.

Looking forward to the "Heatstroke 100" in August with my sister. We won't be doing 100 miles but a smaller one of the loops.

What made things better for you?
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Fantastic!!!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

VeganBikeChick,

Just having my thyroid levels back to normal has changed how I think and do things. I'm no longer on depression medication. My body doesn't "hurt" in this weird way that I can't explain. I have the physical energy and desire to ride a bike that I lost over the summer. However; the new physical energy and lack of being physically fit has been a reality check. Slowing down, changing how I do things and listening to my body is a totally new skill set.

I have my bike set up so that it fits perfectly. No more back or left triceps pain once I set the handlebars up correctly. YouTube is fantastic about learning how to adjust your bike and why something works or it doesn't. The adjustable stem has let me experiment with handlebar position and angle.

Now to save up for some much better cycling clothing. It's hard shopping online for clothing since you can't try them on.

I'm glad you're feeling better and on track to feeling normal again.

I think perhaps that regular doc needs to be replaced. I've had my thyroid checked several times in the past few years as part of diagnosing other issues -- it seems like a pretty simple, standard thing to do.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I complained to my gp several times about tiredness and he checked iron, thyroid, etc and told me I was fine. Went to the gyn for irregular cycles and he said thyroid after blood tests. I no longer use that gp
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I wish I could figure out my tiredness (besides working night shift). My synthroid dose to this day remains non-therapeutic despite an ever-increasing dose. It's in the high range of dosing now. I went to my practitioner for an endocrinologist referral, and she refused until I've had a sleep study done. I don't have sleep apnea, I work nights - that's what makes me so tired! I'm glad your levels evened out, Bethany.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN