Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

To be honest, it sounds like a stupid crash diet...about as sensical as eating nothing but popcorn every odd hour or 24/7 soup.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    To be honest, it sounds like a stupid crash diet...about as sensical as eating nothing but popcorn every odd hour or 24/7 soup.
    But I love soup!!!

Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    But I love soup!!!

As do I, but I'd probably hate it if I was told I had to eat it for every meal.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

There are certain vegetables that are better and worse when you have thyroid issues, but I certainly wouldn't limit the amount just change the type.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Thanks for the continued feedback! I do have subclinical hypothyroidism (said nutritionist wasn't sure what that was), but it's well controlled. I just had blood work checked by my primary care, and I'm happy with the numbers. The primary care said she wasn't sure what else to check medically - hence, the nutritionist. Not sure where else to look medically - since there's really not more blood work to check. I do need to get the knee resolves, so I can get back to my level of activity.

The veggie advice was in no way related to the thyroid issue. There are veggies that can interfere with thyroid hormone, but what my doc told me is that if I eat them consistently, my dosage will compensate (i.e., if they depress the levels, the dosage gets adjusted up, and we dose based on part of the dosage not being absorbed). I'm OK with that, and it mirrors my research. Soy, cabbage, and broccoli are all potentially problematic - but I eat them very consistently and my numbers are fine. I do try to add seaweed and other iodine rich foods as an added bonus.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Just off the top of my head, and with no idea how you're eating now, are you sure you're getting enough fat? You might try adding a tablespoon of Udo's Choice at breakfast and see what happens ...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

talk to your primary care about your interaction with the rd.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Do you mind my asking, how much weight would you like to lose?
    Last edited by ny biker; 02-21-2015 at 06:20 PM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

NY Biker - I'll message you. Here, I'll just say more than a little I have a long history of being overweight - I know why I have gained when I have - it is the losing that has perplexed me.

My diet now is heavy on protein, veggies, and fruit. I do eat plain, full fat Greek yogurt in small quantities and some whole grain carbohydrates (mostly oats and brown rice). Very little sugar or processed food.

I will talk to my primary care when next I see her. She is also new, as my old primary care relocated - and I haven't decided how I feel about her. I should have more contacts to find more appropriate providers when I start med school (at the latest). In the mean time, I will talk to my awesome physical therapist to see if she has people she would recommend. I have worked with her for a while, and she hasn't led me astray.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I went to a nutritionist a few years ago, not because of weight, but because I have borderline high cholesterol. I was pretty disappointed that the nutritionist recommended an extreme low-fat, high grain diet. That's pretty much been de-bunked for high cholestrol. Instead, I dropped all sugars (including most fruit) and all "white" foods except full-fat yogurt and half-and-half. Result: I lost 9 pounds the first month and felt amazing. My cholesterol also dropped to acceptable levels after 3 months.

While your concerns are different than mine were, I wonder if upping your fat intake and reducing your sugar (fruit/juice) and dropping grains completely would be effective. Have you tried doing that? Don't count calories, just don't eat fruit (sugar) or grains (turns into sugar) and increase fats and proteins.

You also might want to investigate soy, including tofu. I understand there are questions around soy and particularly women's health. It would not surprise me if a high-soy diet might effect the metabolism.

Thanks, Tulip! I actually have tried that - for some pretty extended periods of time. There is so much conflicting research out there on soy - but I definitely agree there are questions! Most of what I use is fermented (miso, tempeh), with some unfermented (tofu - 1-2 times a week on average). When I have done periods of veggie/protein, the soy gets completely cut out - and it didn't make a difference.

To say I'm heavy on fruit now is probably a bit of a stretch. I'm eating 1-2 servings of berries a day (either fresh or unsweetened frozen mixed in yogurt). Not much other fruit, and the only juice is cranberry when I feel like I'm getting a UTI. I have been playing with adding grains back in over the last 1-2 months because I was feeling really tired all the time. It has helped some. I feel like my energy levels have stayed more constant (which is ironic, I know, since usually protein/veggie should be better for that).

Back to a thread I started I while ago - this could *all* be my frigging birth control pills - as you all have told me. Trying to psych myself up to taking those out of the equation and seeing what happens (yes, I have been a spoiled happy person taking them continuously - but it might be causing problems).

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Oh BC pills can really screw up a body. I took them briefly decades ago and was heavy(ish) and my cholesterol spiked. I went off them and I lost the weight quickly and my cholesterol decreased (it is genetically high but was in the 300s when I was on BC pills).

Have you tried going off BC pills? I'm no doctor but I just cannot see how they would NOT affect all sorts of things that are connected to hormones. Metabolism is on top of that list.

Not yet. I went on them because of horrifically heavy periods - and hence have been reluctant to get off of them. My docs keep *swearing* they couldn't be the cause of the weight issues. I have been more carefully watching my portions, and I think getting off them is my next step.

I would not listen to this dietician or go back for a second visit. I would try a very low carb ketogenic diet. I highly recommend the book The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Phinney and Volek. Real science by scientists that study this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Art-Science-Lo...tephen+phinney

Its what I teach medical students to control weight, especially for type ii diabetics and insulin resistant patients. It puts your body in a hormonal state that favors fat burning. Once u become fat adapted, u will burn you body fat stores when u cycle.

This article is interesting in relation to the subject - and positively mentions Phinney cites above: http://www.timeslive.co.za/lifestyle...many-questions
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes