Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

OTOH, I've been doing a teensy bit of poking around, and with the huge caveat that I haven't even bothered to investigate how rigorous the studies or the journals might be, I've run across several studies that say a low-carb diet can depress thyroid function in susceptible individuals. So - especially considering that your hypothyroidism is more subtle and thus possibly more reactive to environmental factors - maybe increasing your carbs somewhat isn't such a crazy idea.

I know nothing about it - but it's possible that's some of what she's going for.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    OTOH, I've been doing a teensy bit of poking around, and with the huge caveat that I haven't even bothered to investigate how rigorous the studies or the journals might be, I've run across several studies that say a low-carb diet can depress thyroid function in susceptible individuals. So - especially considering that your hypothyroidism is more subtle and thus possibly more reactive to environmental factors - maybe increasing your carbs somewhat isn't such a crazy idea.

I know nothing about it - but it's possible that's some of what she's going for.
    For some women, very low carb doesn't work well (nor does intermittent fasting), and by low carb I mean <60 grams per day. There are other good nutrition-dense carb vegetable sources than grains however, so those are worthy of exploring if you want to avoid them. I don't eat grains of any kind, and I've no problem consuming enough carbs to fuel my energy needs for my activities. I no longer do endurance cycling however, I don't know how well that would have worked for me.

That's what I was wondering, if you couldn't just eat carbs other than grains.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Ketogenic diets are definitely good for weight loss, but they give you horribly bad breath. Just something to keep in mind if you try it. It can't be brushed away as it comes from your gut, not your mouth.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Emily is correct. You also don't need to go into ketosis for this. Indeed, research has shown that women's bodies are, usually, have fewer positive responses to ketosis than men. Paleo/Primal/whatever you wish to call a way of eating that focuses on no grains, no processed foods, and on well-sourced animal protein, a wide range of nutritionally-dense veggies and some fruit does not automatically mean either very low carb, low carb or ketosis.

Just saw this blog post from Nancy Clark. There's a link to a site you can use to find a sports dietician. It might be helpful.

http://www.sportingnews.com/sport/st...-biggest-loser

Btw for folks on Twitter, she posts links to lots of articles there. @nclarkrd is her name there.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles