Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Adaptive Bicycle for Brother with Cerebral Palsy

To disable ads, please log-in.

I found out that this organization called Friendship Circle is giving away adaptive bicycles. Each person nominated needs to get a minimum of 50 votes to be eligible for the drawing and one bike of each type will be given to the child with the most votes. Voting is free through their website (https://www.friendshipcircle.org/bikes/) with Facebook or email. You can vote for unlimited number of kids, but only once for each.

I nominated my adopted brother with cerebral palsy to win one, it would mean so much to him. This is what I wrote up for him:
    My brother Delqwon is a high school boy that would love to be constantly active and social, however, his cerebral palsy impedes him from doing many of the things he wants to do. Due to the severity of his cerebral palsy, he cannot even stand let alone walk or pedal a bicycle. Because of only having muscular control of his left arm, he cannot move his own wheelchair and muscle spasms that impact his entire body make an electric wheelchair not feasible. An adaptive bicycle would allow Delqwon to go out and be more active with his family and friends.

This is the actual link to my brothers page:
    https://www.friendshipcircle.org/bik.../02/delqwon-s/

Please vote if you have the time.
    Thanks in advance.

I wish you the best trying to get a bike for your brother. I also have Cerebral Palsy, but I'm able to ride a bike with just minor modifications. I know this is not the case for many people.

Whereabouts are you located? Are there any local organizations that might help you find or purchase an appropriate bike for your brother? I know there are organizations that work with disabled cyclists. I ran across this organization after a quick search. They may be of some help or might be able to recommend you to an organization locally.
    Bike Friday Petite Crusoe
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

My brother is in Upstate NY. My parents have looked at a few options, but they are so expensive which is why I thought this giveaway that Friendship Circle is doing is so amazing. I have voted for several children in addition to my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by sos0523 View Post
    My brother is in Upstate NY. My parents have looked at a few options, but they are so expensive which is why I thought this giveaway that Friendship Circle is doing is so amazing. I have voted for several children in addition to my brother.
    I voted for you brother, and I hope you are able to get him one of these bikes. I noticed they are pretty expensive, about $5000.
    I saw this writeup someone did on how to find funding, maybe it will be of some help.

Another option might be to set up a fund raising page.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-18-2015 at 11:50 AM.
    Bike Friday Petite Crusoe
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I voted for you brother, and I hope you are able to get him one of these bikes. I noticed they are pretty expensive, about $5000.
    I saw this writeup someone did on how to find funding, maybe it will be of some help.

Another option might be to set up a fund raising page.
    Thanks for the info.