Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Feb 13-winter cycling day internationally

To disable ads, please log-in.

Is your city/town/area celebrating winter cycling day? Feb. 13. Doesn't matter even if just you, put your destination place on the world map for participation.
    http://winterbiketoworkday.org/

Our city is having events for 2nd year. Outdoor photo booth for free photo by a bike path, polar bike ride (1 km. I guess in swimsuit??? It's around 0--16 degrees C around this time.), coffee/snacks (indoors), etc.

Too bad I can't cycle since am still in recovery from head injury. Am improving weekly. But dearie will participate in stuff. Some of these events are just a few blocks away from us.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 02-09-2015 at 12:51 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

This area doesn't officially start bike season till end of February, beginning with Chilly Hilly... and that's bad enough, ha! I can't imagine doing a "real" polar bike ride where there is actually snow on the ground, very brave stuff.

Sort of in keeping with the thread, here is a cute posting from Bikeyface about winter riding. In BOSTON no less!

http://bikeyface.com/2015/02/10/mazed/
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

We had to go into the city for our monthly dinner/theatre last Friday night. It was a nightmare. One hour and 40 minutes, which at it's worst, takes usually an hour. The number of cyclists darting between cars, on already narrowed roads, where no one can see around the corners at intersections was frightening. The bike lanes are snow covered, and cyclists should be in the street, but, at least stay in the lane. And maybe one out of fifteen had front/rear lights (it was 6 PM). I hate to sound anti-cyclist, but I also hate to see other riders doing stuff like this.
    I don't have to drive far to work and I love snow/winter sports, so I don't mind not riding for a couple of months. My guess is that I may not be riding March 1-15, as is my usual start date, if this stuff doesn't melt, but if I can x country ski, I'm good. I've had plenty of years where I've ridden at least a couple of times in January and February.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I noticed in our city, over 230 people signed up for cycling this day ...most likely a lot already cycle several times per wk. all winter.
    Photos of last year's outdoor photo booth of passing cyclists:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10957...993?banner=pwa Dearie and I are under menu highlights in the first row of photos.

Photo booth is by a major bike-ped path that is ploughed in the winter. Or shall I say, snowbrushed ...since the snow often is dry and sometimes a few inches/cms. to use machines with a huge bristle snow brush remover (instead of plough).

Right now, I'm still recovering from my head injury-bike collision (in Vancouver where there was no snow, ice on that day) while dearie went about cycling on primarily the paths. He has studded tires.

http://winterbiketoworkday.org/map2015/ This world map gives numbers of people participating this wk. Of course, registering oneself is completely an honour system. Still, numbers wouldn't be totally inaccurate in some areas since many cyclists still don't know about this world event (which balances off by rare folks who might register and not cycle.). Vancouver BC for instance would have waaaaay higher number of cyclists this week....many cycle because their winters are milder....like Seattle.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 02-13-2015 at 07:13 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.