Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Sella Saddles - Still feelin the love?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Good morning all,
    I was on the forum last night looking over saddle posts, and found some great recommendations from 2013 and 2014 on the Sellas - specifically the Drakon and the Lite 209. Thank you ladies for sharing your hard-won wisdom. I'm wondering now if you're still enamored with them? Are they still working well for you?

I have a Trek WS saddle on my Domane. First issue (posted in Nov) was lack of sensation in the lady bits - that was solved, thanks to y'all, by making the saddle level, as it had previously been up a smidge. Then I started getting into some longer (for me) rides - 50-64 miles, and what developed was chafey-pain. That was solved by spending the money on some Terry capris instead of cheap ones.

Now the last problem is just a pain in the butt - literally. I read Steve Hoggs' article (http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/...ll-about-smps/), and thank you Marquise for the link. It feels like bone pain, a little more forward than where I think ischial tuberosities are, perhaps the ischiopubic ramus he discusses. Plus, similar to what Nuliajuk wrote about, ("Last week I borrowed one of the Specialized test saddles from a local shop, a 155mm Ruby, based on the recommendations of the Specialized chart for my sit-bone width, and had the same "catching" of the back of my right leg on the back of the saddle. I'm definitely fleshier on the right side").
    All in all, miserable enough to stay home today, and I only rode 32 miles yesterday.

I'm a big girl - 5'9, and wear size XL clothes. I saw the prices on the Sella's (about $239) and think, that's a lot of money, but if it will solve the problem, great. But before I make that commitment, I'm hoping from feedback. Thank you!
    Livin the life!
    2014 Trek Domane 4.7

Do you have a local bike shop? Most of them will give a 30 day guarantee on saddles so you can try them out.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I still like mine, although I've swapped them around to different bikes. The touring bike now has the Glider, the road bike the Lite 209, and the wind trainer bike the Avant. I have no idea why I need something as wide as the Avant on the trainer, because as far as I can see it's set up pretty much the same as the other two bikes. Nonetheless, the other two saddles were painful for that use.
    SMP does produce some less expensive versions of their saddles, but for some reason these don't appear on the manufacturer's website anywhere. You can find them on eBay under names like TRK (similar to Avant or Pro), or Strike Extra(= Glider?). They are made from less expensive materials than the ones that do appear on the website, and I can only guess that they're produced in the far east somewhere.
    E.T.A.: Here's one called the Hell. Hopefully that doesn't describe the experience of riding on it!
    http://www.albabici.com/selle/svt-saddles/hell/hell.htm
    Last edited by nuliajuk; 02-08-2015 at 01:14 PM.
    Queen of the sea beasts

I still love mine. I have a Drakon on my road and CX bikes and the Lite 209 on our tandem. My old CX bike has a Glider. I only regret not trying these years ago.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Thank you Kirsten!
    Last edited by BlessedB; 02-08-2015 at 02:27 PM.
    Livin the life!
    2014 Trek Domane 4.7

Thank you Nuliajuk!
    Livin the life!
    2014 Trek Domane 4.7

Quote Originally Posted by nuliajuk View Post
    I still like mine, although I've swapped them around to different bikes. The touring bike now has the Glider, the road bike the Lite 209, and the wind trainer bike the Avant. I have no idea why I need something as wide as the Avant on the trainer, because as far as I can see it's set up pretty much the same as the other two bikes. Nonetheless, the other two saddles were painful for that use.
    SMP does produce some less expensive versions of their saddles, but for some reason these don't appear on the manufacturer's website anywhere. You can find them on eBay under names like TRK (similar to Avant or Pro), or Strike Extra(= Glider?). They are made from less expensive materials than the ones that do appear on the website, ...[/URL]
    Ebay is where I purchased my TRK last summer. I wanted to see how the shape performed for me first before spending over $200 for one of the other models. No shops near me carry this brand. I don't usually care for much cushioning, but I love this saddle. Felt very comfortable for me. It replaced the Brooks that was on my touring bike. Too bad I didn't discover the SMP lineup until late in the season. Not enough time to see how it would fare on multi-day tours. It did do well on my rides, which were 35-40 miles max. I did manage to put several hundred miles on it though before it was too cold for me to ride anymore. I will say that it felt a bit wider when I tested it out on my Ruby. I have some thoughts why that may be, so if I get another SMP for the Ruby, it would be one with less cushioning, more narrow.

BlessedB--I have been having what sounds like the exact same feeling, only mine is on the left!! I have been researching for weeks, just yesterday I ordered a Selle Anatomica X series. The X is for riders over 160 or someone riding 100+ miles a week. My road bike is a Specialized and so was my saddle. I had a bike fit last year, and I did move to a narrower Specialized saddle last May. Still the same problem but was a little bit better. It should be here this week, and I will let you know how I like it! Good luck!!

FYI...SMP, Anatomica, and Italia are all different companies, AFAIK. Selle simply means saddle in Italian.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Thanks zoom-zoom! Crossing my fingers this will help, after an hr or so on the bike I can really feel it, and come June I need to be ready for some LONG days!

I've been riding for close to forty years. I bought an SA about eight months ago and it has totally changed my cycling. I have never felt this much comfort. In fact, I don't feel anything now when I ride. Nirvana, that has increased my mileage, my speed and my joy of cycling. A real eye-opener and I'm in LOVE. This is probably the best money I have ever spent on cycling...other than my bike itself, a LOOK 585. FYI, I 'm 5'5" at 135lbs. Your butt may be different, but don't worry about the weight (or the looks) of the saddle...just try one.

I've been off my road bike for a ton of reasons but yesterday hooked up the roubaix to the trainer. I can tell you that my Lite 209 was the best investment ever. No pain, no pinching, no chafing, no nothing. It just disappears, after my time off that's huge for me. Good luck.
    2009 Specialized Roubaix pro/SMP lite 209
    2010 Trek 4300/Specialized ariel 155