Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Crippling and potentially historic" blizzard

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just wanted to wish good luck to everyone in New York and New England. It looks like you're going to get a hefty pile of snow over the next couple of days.

Stay safe!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I foresee lots of snowshoeing in my near future...might as well make the best of things!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Finally. We came home early from the White Mountains to clean up the snow that fell Saturday while we were away, and get groceries. I hate winters that are cold, with no snow. I foresee lots of local and semi local x country skiing and snow shoeing and I won't have to go to the gym so much. Ski conditions up north were so-so, and now, we will probably head up there for Valentines weekend, the weekend before we leave for the Cascades.
    The only bad thing about these kinds of storms is that some people lose power. We have a local, municipal power company, so if it happens (which is very rare), it gets fixed very quickly.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Saw this on Twitter... seen in Boston this morning...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150126_133302.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	17528

And on a more serious note, it's always important to remember to clear snow from around fire hydrants.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150126_155407.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	17529
    Last edited by ny biker; 01-26-2015 at 12:00 PM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Thinking of all of you who will be affected by that storm. Hoping your employer will be understanding if you stay home.

I am glad Montreal will not be touched by this one, except for a few cms by end of week.

Sending good thoughts to everyone as you hunker down. This is why I live in Arizona....
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

NY, that sign was photoshopped. It was all over Facebook today. The state put little dumb reminders to "use yah blinkahs" on those electronic signs a few months ago. It was a take off on that.
    Helene, everything is shut down. No one can go to work. There's a state of emergency, declared around noon, and everyone has to be off of the roads by midnight. Public transportation is shutting down then, too. All businesses except hospitals are closed, and the National Guard or police may end up taking the doctors and nurses to work, if they don't have a place to stay near or in the hospital. The state learned their lesson in the Blizzard of 78, when thousands were stranded on the highway. I was in AZ then, I remember well, the stories my aunt and uncle told of the National Guard bringing them groceries that were considered essential:milk, bread, cookies, and cigarettes.
    There's only about an inch of snow, but it was sleeting when I came home at 4:30.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    We've gotten over 20 inches so far and are supposed to get another 5-8. I walked to work (only 0.6 mile) carrying my snowshoes, then snowshoed home! Unfortunately the snow is so deep and fluffy that I was sinking knee deep in some spots despite the snowshoes (and they are rated for weights WELL above what I weigh)...kind of took the fun out of it. Then, when I was moving my car so that my landlord could plow my part of the driveway, I think the water pump went (he saw and heard it happen and thinks that's what it was...definitely something in the cooling system since it resulted in antifreeze pouring out). UGH. So now I get to deal with having the car towed to my mechanic in the next day or two so it can get fixed before a trip I have planned next week. At least it happened at home and I don't need the car to get to work, but still a pain!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Sorry about your car, Jolt.
    We have close to 3 feet of snow and it's still snowing. We have a plow guy do our access driveway, which is a big f'n hill and when he got to the top, he got stuck for about 5 minutes! He did get out on his own. DH spent 3 hours snowblowing in front of the house, but, it will have to be done again tomorrow morning. The rate of snowfall has lessened, but I imagine there will be another 4-6 inches since he blew the snow. I don't normally work on Wednesdays, so nothing but some paperwork and then a snow shoe planned for the afternoon, with a friend. All of the schools around here are closed tomorrow, too, as the sidewalks are not cleared and some of the secondary roads are not plowed. My street is clear, but narrowed. Not sure if myf riend will drive over here to snowshoe, so I may end up going alone. About 5-6 inches predicted for Friday and another "big storm" for Sunday night-Monday.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Watching CNN now and its bad. Take care and don't risk anything.

I'm glad we're just dealing with cold and just a few flakes right now vs what some of you are going through.

Yikes. Be safe, all.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

We're lucky that we're not in the snowy area - but our rental house furnace died. Again. For the third time. And it's supposed to be 23 tonight Thankfully, we have gas logs and ceramic space heaters - so we will make do - but it's a PITA.

Sending warm thoughts to all who are digging out!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Woke up this morning to another 10-12 inches of snow on the ground. Thankfully, it's light and fluffy. DH is about to go out and snow blow. Although the travel ban was lifted, not much is open. All schools closed. The airport re-opened, but isn't really up and running until tonight. The T is running, but there's break downs and cancelled services on all of the subway and commuter lines. So far, the town with the highest snowfall in eastern MA is Hudson, where I used to teach, and where I go on Thursdays to provide counseling to a 5 adolescents at the high school. If they cancel for tomorrow, and we have the predicted 1-3 inches of snow on Friday, I predict I will have seen about 5 clients this week, on Monday. Thankfully, this is my "give back/retirement" job, so, I am not depending on it for support. Even if I had my own practice and was making the "big bucks," it would be hard to plan for this, as you can't control the weather.
    Betting my friend won't meet me today as it's going to be 15 degrees F as the high. I will still be outside snow shoeing, maybe skiing.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Hope you're all dug out now, Crankin. I'm sure it was beautiful, but what a PITA.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Glad all are safe and hopefully dug out by now! I'm thankful I don't have cable as I am sure I would have spent far too much time watching the coverage. I STILL well remember what it was like here last year, but we only got 2 feet....